Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

My Device: Bold 2
My Carrier: T-Mobile (UK)

Keyboard lock won't unlock

I've had my phone for a couple of months now and it's been fine. The last software update caused the phone screen to go dark every time I turned on the keyboard lock, which is ok. But now - often, but not always - I can't get the phone to unlock again. I can activate the screen by pressing the Blackberry menu button but it just tells me the phone is locked. Pressing the keyboard lock/unlock button does nothing. I have to either disconnect the battery or connect the phone to a power supply to unlock it. Seems a bit strange to me!

Is this a known fault or do I just have a fault on my phone?

Any ideas anyone?

Thanks in advance!

Solutions: 6,375
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: Keyboard lock won't unlock

What if you press the top left edge unlock key?

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes
Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
New Contributor
My Device: BlackBerry Bold 9700
My Carrier: T-Mobile

i have the same problem.  I just upgraded last night and when i lock the keyboard, it goes black and if i press the menu button, the message "keypad is locked.  Press the Lock button to unlock" pops up.  I do exactly that, but it still remains locked!  I do have a password set on my phone but still doesn't work.  i have to disconnect my battery in order to put my password in.  How can this be fixed??  

Regular Contributor
My Device: Bold 9700
My Carrier: Rogers

[ Edited ]

im not sure about your particular problem

but part of the new OS is the lock key being a keypad lock instead of a password lock.

RIM did it on purpose.

i know 5.0.0.415 still has the password lock at the top, along with the standby.

5.0.0.5xx+ has new functionality.

New Contributor
My Device: BlackBerry Bold 9700
My Carrier: T-Mobile

so what can I do to prevent that?  I'm afraid to lock my phone because of it.  Should i just downgrade?

Regular Contributor
My Carrier: Rogers

it seems like a good idea to downgrade for the time being, since both of you guys said that this started happening since your recent upgrade.

in addition, you can perhaps set a convenience key to the password lock, and hope they come out with another upgrade/update soon.

Solutions: 6,375
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

chinch143 wrote:

I do have a password set on my phone but still doesn't work. 

So, you enter your password as it should be and the device does not unlock?

Then you aren't entering the correct password. Do you see a message such as "x of 10 attemps"

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes
Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
My Carrier: Telstra

i have just registered to help other people who might come to this page as when you first receive this "problem" and search it in google this is one of the first pages that show. i just reinstalled all the blackberry programs etc as when my phone was locked to start with i had to press star and the answer call button to unlock it, until i upgraded the software, then it wouldnt unlock, BEFORE you uninstall everything etc, have a look at the top of your blackberry, in faint white there is a mute button as well as a lock, they don't look like buttons and they appear to be just part of the casing, until you realise. once you have installed the new software the lock button on the top is now the new button to unlock the phone, after all my frustration i was left feeling completely blonde.

My Device: bold 9700
My Carrier: fido

Hi,

thanks for your update, but as the original post says, when you press the lock button on top still nothing happens. I don't think its a broken button since more than one person is having the same issue ! I think its something to do with the new OS. If anyone finds the solution please share it.

thanks

Visitor
My Device: curve 8900
My Carrier: BOUYGUES

Hello everyone,

I'm kind of having the same problem here but I have to add that it doesn't even work when I get the battery off.  The thing is that all the bottons are blocked and the screen as well so there's no way to insert the starting password. I haven't updated anything. Yesturday it was working perfectly and afterwards I found that the BB was off, which is not normal. When I plug in the charger it shows the alarm screen but I can't unblock the keyboard, and if I unplug it, I have to type the password but I can't due to the UNIVERSAL BLOCKAGE that it has!

HELP ME PLEASE!!!

Thanks a lot