Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

New Contributor
My Device: Blackberry Pearl 3G 9105
Accepted Solution

Keypad issues

Ive recently purchased a Pearl 3G 9105 and am totally new to Blackberry's.

The problem i am having is that when i am trying to type messages i am not able to enter all 26 letters of the alphabet. I understand the layout and where they should be but no matter where i press the button i am only able to get maximum of 2 choices of letter eg. if i press the no. 1 key the only two letters available to me are R and E, where surely there should be Q and W.

I am also unable to delete single letters as this key cannot be located or pressed.

Any help would be greatfully appreciated. Smiley Indifferent

New Contributor
My Device: Blackberry Pearl 3G 9105

Re: Keypad issues

Forget the previous message.

It turns out that my Pearl 3G 9105 has been programmed in the factory to have the settings for a Pearl 3G 9100, so it thinks it has a QWERTY when in fact it doesn't.

Does anyone know how to fix this or should i take it back to the shop where i purchased it?

Thanks again.

Guru I
My Device: Passport, Playbook, 9320BES
My Carrier: Bouygues _ SFR

DannyMUFC_1990 wrote:

Ive recently purchased a Pearl 3G 9105 and am totally new to Blackberry's.

The problem i am having is that when i am trying to type messages i am not able to enter all 26 letters of the alphabet. I understand the layout and where they should be but no matter where i press the button i am only able to get maximum of 2 choices of letter eg. if i press the no. 1 key the only two letters available to me are R and E, where surely there should be Q and W.

hello Danny,

some info:

• on a Pearl 9105, pressing the 1 key should not input any character.
  • on a Pearl 9100, pressing the 1 key should input either the E or the R letter. (that isthe device I currently have).

so I think you have bought a 9100 device.

please look below :

that being said, the 9100 uses the SureType technology. It is a wonderful keyboard for typing text at the speed of light, but it requires you to understand how it works. Especially you have to "let go" and let the system guess what you want to type. I suggest you go to the "Setup Wizard" and do the keyboard tutorial once again.

You can also launch the "Typer Trooper" game, that will make you understand in a leisure way... and type faster too.

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too:
Highlighted
Visitor
My Device: Not Specified

at first i really dun believe that the keymap problem as stated above.

i own 9105 and also 9100.

and today, i just experienced 9100 keymap become 9105 -.-

its so frustating. it began with the meter berry stated that my memory is low n reset the device, after reset. i cudnt input the text i want according to the keymaps.

the A n S sud be in a keypad including question mark (?) in the shift.

but wat happened? qw as zx op l n DEL button cannot be used anymore.

more shockingly i press df button, it appear as G, when i press more it appear as G H and I. and the ALT button become DEL button. exactly as 9105 keypad!!!

and the keymaps on my 9100 become the keymaps for 9105!!!! completely!!!

i already reset the device. wipe, do factory reset, battery pull, switch OS, but the keymaps wont go back to 9100.

PLIZZZZZZ i really need help. i dun want my 9100 keymaps ended as 9105 keymaps T.T

Solutions: 6,357
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

This really sounds like a moisture problem. Even leaving the device on a bathroom counter during a hot steamy shower or bath will cause it.
>> NEW! 10% discount on BlackBerry devices from ShopBlackBerry.com, including PRIV

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes
Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Retired
My Device: 9900
My Carrier: rogers

The only real suggestion that we could offer is to try a clean application load. This will rule out a software related issue.

To do this first backup your device data, then follow the steps in the following article: http://bit.ly/cKy9A0

Once you are done with the reload of the device software, be sure to test the use of your device before you restore any data.

Hope this helps.

New Contributor
My Device: BlackBerry Pearl 9100
My Carrier: Telstra

Can someone PLEASE tell me how this issue was resolved, I am having the same issue as the person above. I have lost my Data cable, Does the software update resolve the issue?, I have a 9100 And in the software version it now says the phone is a 9105!!!.

It is also failing to recognize my SIM card (no sim inserted... When it is inserted). It is an almost brand new phone never had any moisture damage, And I checked the sticker... Its white. Please help me with this issue Smiley Indifferent

Sincerely Dragon-Awakes

Guru I

dragonawakes wrote:

Please help me with this issue Smiley Indifferent

Hello Daegon-Awakes,

did you follow the advice in message 6 of the current discussion?

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too:
New Contributor
My Device: BlackBerry Pearl 9100
My Carrier: Telstra

[ Edited ]

Hello  Xandrex, Good to see a regular around Smiley Happy

I will try the clean installation, After I buy a data cable today. (I was under the belief it was a software issue)

I will update after I am sure I have completed the clean installation correctly and let you know how it went

Oh and haha the biggest worry I had when this happened was that all my data was encrypted... Ill rethink that this time (.REM files ^_^)

Guru I

yes, the 9100 is a great device, I hope everything goes fine.