Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

New Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

Kind Request to RIM for Two-Way IM Synchronization/Reconciliation

I know I am not alone here: I am a university student (New Haven, CT) at a university that provides Exchange and BlackBerry functionality for everyone with an ID except undergrads.  I have asked to pay for Exchange, but they will not allow it.

So I am left with IMAP, which works fine with BIS: e-mails are pushed properly and sent messages are stored properly.  HOWEVER, when I read an e-mail in Thunderbird, it is NOT marked as read on my BlackBerry.  This is a known issue, is adressed in a KB article and referred to as "one-way sync."  This is immensely frustrating.

RIM, please resolve this ASAP!

1) I understand there may be technical limitations that present a bit of a roadblock: IMAP is not set up to ping the BlackBerry every time something is changed.  Thus, BIS could scan the server to see if read status had been changed.  There must be a way to do this.

2) RIM may not want to do this because it detracts from the added value of an Exchange or BES setup.

Background:

Exchange now seems to be the only way to do true "push" e-mail and still have my e-mails appear as though they have been sent from my e-mail address.  MobileMe and Yahoo do push services, but then I have to either buy an iPhone or forward all my e-mail to a Yahoo account.

Since I'm actually running BlackBerry Connect on a Windows Mobile device, (AT&T Fuze/HTC Touch Pro) I could switch to use the default Windows Mobile e-Mail Client that supports IMAP, but then it's not push-capable.

I have yet to try Emansio or GoodLink.  I think the former uses the IMAP-IDLE command.  I will see how they work.  It would be nice to get rid of my monthly BlackBerry fee.

Super Contributor
My Device: Q10 OS 10.1, PlayBook (WiFi 64 Gig)

Re: Kind Request to RIM for Two-Way IM Synchronization/Reconciliation

First, are you able to view the actual email on the server using a Web browser or some other means.  If you can, are the Reads not synchronizing to the SERVER?  Typically, Reads are synchronized with IMAP and even with some POP BIS setups.

Be aware that Thunderbird is a local email client that copies email from the server to the computer.  Typically, email clients like this download the email from the server to your computer, and never look at that message again.  The "problem" probably doesn't exist, or is with Thunderbird, not your BlackBerry.

Jerry
New Contributor

I know that's how IMAP is supposed to work.  It just doesn't.

See this page: http://www.blackberry.com/btsc/search.do?cmd=displayKC&docType=kc&externalId=KB05133&sliceId=SAL_Pub...

"The reconciliation of read and unread statuses of email messages is one-way only, from the BlackBerry smartphone to the messaging server. For most integrated email accounts, it is not possible to reconcile read and unread statuses of email messages from the messaging server to the BlackBerry smartphone."

Apparently IMAP is not one of the more integrated types of accounts.  I beg to differ.

To answer your question, yes, when I read an e-mail in Thunderbird, it is consequently marked as read on the server, which I can confirm by opening up WebMail.  It's a Horde-based IMP system at my university.

With IMAP, Thunderbird is not configured by default to copy everything from the server to the computer.  I choose that option as an extra step.  Deletions, flags, and reads are all still reflected on the server.

Forums Veteran I
My Device: 8120, Storm, 8200

gmail, yahoo and godaddy are realtime push on BB.
Click on KUDOS to appreciate our efforts and mark the thread RESOLVED if your issue is resolved.
Elite II
My Device: Torch 9800
My Carrier: grameenphone

even windows live and hotmails are also near real time push!

tanzim                                                                                  
If your query is resolved then please click on Accept as Solution

Click on the LIKE on the bottom right if the post deserves credit

New Contributor

You all make good points.  There are a lot of services that provide push e-mail with BIS, but I don't feel comfortable forwarding all my school mail to them.  I would feel most comfortable about Gmail, but two-way sync on Gmail is NOT available!!

I think I might pay for hosted Exchange and do away with my BlackBerry service.  I guess I'll also finally be buying my own domain...haha.  Unless I can get any one of a number of other solutions working to push the IMAP natively.

I just realized that Funambol doesn't sync the reminders for my appointments to my phone, which is super frustrating.  Another reason to go with hosted exchange at least for contacts, calendar, tasks, and notes.

Highlighted
Forums Veteran I
My Device: 8120, Storm, 8200

yes hosted SBS and BPS (free for 1 user) seems to be ideal solution for your needs.
Click on KUDOS to appreciate our efforts and mark the thread RESOLVED if your issue is resolved.