Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

Contributor
My Device: Bold 9000

LATEST DESKTOP MANAGER FOR MAC DOES NOT WORK!!!

I have a Blackberry Bold 9700 and an iMac running 10.6.4 with the latest Blackberry Desktop for Mac (v1.0.4 build 10) that just came out August 2010 and it will NOT allow me to update the handheld software either.  It is for a different reason. It says I don't have enough memory on my handheld, but that does not make any sense since I have totally wiped my handheld.

Is RIM every going to figure this software out??  Years in the making and they still can't get a functioning software app for the Mac !

-----------------------------------------------
Lance
Contributor

Re: LATEST DESKTOP MANAGER FOR MAC DOES NOT WORK!!!

Has anyone else noticed the same thing as me?

Lance
Contributor

I meant I have a Bold 9000 - sorry

Lance
New Contributor
My Device: BB 9000
My Carrier: AT&T

Yes.

I've the same issue, and same phone.

My Device: Curve 8320
My Carrier: T-mobile

i have a blackberry curve 8320 and usually cannot snych. i'll try on and off for weeks, then for some reason it'll synch. usually it shows up as "not connected" on the 'device' menu...

sometimes i'll get the error: "calendar database cannot be accessed for synchronization. refer to KB19454 in the BBDM knowledge base" but other times i won't.

maddening.

Contributor

You would think that after a few years of working on this program for the Mac they could get it right. RIM is after all one of the most technologically advanced companies in the world with more resources available than most governments.

They're probably not getting any cooperation from Apple because of the iPhone which seems to be kicking their butt.

I only ever sync one way -just push the info from my desktop and over-write my handheld every time. I don't trust the program to sync two ways properly. It cuts of the "Notes" section of contacts in Address Book if your notes are too long, so when you sync back the other way it deletes part of your notes. And that is just one of many issues I have been telling RIM about for the past couple years.

I think it is pretty safe to assume that the Desktop Manger for Mac will never work because every time they almost get it right, Apple will come out with an "update" to their system that will make RIM's DTM for Mac inoperable again.

Probably best to switch to the iPhone now and skip all the frustration.

Lance

Lance
Retired
My Device: 9500, 8110, 8700, 8220, 9100, 9800, 9810, Z10

Hey Everyone, 

You may find some useful information in this article http://bbry.lv/9y2tHa

-SR

Come follow your BlackBerry Technical Team on twitter! @BlackBerryHelp

Be sure to click Kudos! for those who have helped you.

Click Solution? for posts that have solved your issue(s)!

Contributor

Thanks for the note SmoothRider. But that's a retarded KB Article.  Use a PC?? seriously??

What's the point of the Desktop Manager for "MAC" if you need to use a PC??

Great suggestion. Like I couldn't have figured that out for myself.

That's like asking Apple for tech support and they tell you to use a PC to fix your Mac - retarded.

Lance
My Device: Not Specified

Yes, I have the same issue. I just got an iMac about a month ago (and love it). I've had the Bold 9000 since it came out almost a couple years ago (love it, too).  Wanted to update to OS 5 for the Bold, but apparently no way to do it for a Mac. All instructions for updating OS are for PC.  The only direction I can find for Mac users is to use the Desktop Software for Mac.  There is absolutely no way I can see to download OS 5 and update via this software.

I believe I've had it with Blackberry.  I've been wanting to get a new phone for better browsing. I looked at the Torch and walked away disappointed.  It just seems that Blackberry went cheap, particularly on the processor (exactly the same as my Bold from 2 years ago? Really? Just amazing). 

But I was actually going to go ahead and give it a try, until I ran into this issue with trying to update my Bold on the Mac.  If Blackberry either can't or won't support Mac users then why should I plunk down $200 on a new Blackberry?  When I combine this with what little I've seen of the Torch (which feels clumsy, has a worse keyboard and a worse display than my Bold), what I see is a company that just doesn't get it.

Contributor

It is not just this software update.   The DTM for Mac has not been working properly since it came out. Even once they fix this one issue I still wouldn't sync both ways. I would just push info to my blackberry. Otherwise you will almost definitely mess up your data on your computer. Been there, done that.

Lance