Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

New Contributor
My Device: Torch 9800
My Carrier: AT&T

Latest OS

Why is it since I downloaded the latest OS last week ALL of my settings and application permissions were lost?  All my files were "unfiled" and put back on the homescreen.  I now have to go through and basically re-do EVERYTHING I did when I purchased the phone. 

I was already an unhappy customer as pdf files will not read randomly.  I typically have to do a hard reboot (remove battery) before it will start reading them again.  After I downloaded the new OS that didn't even work, then "magically" a couple hours later it started working again.  My IT guy at work was even clueless on how to help me.

I am also having trouble with my text messages locking up.  I cannot get the phone to open them randomly and sometimes have to do a re-boot as well.

The plastic slide backing creaks when I am using the keyboard.  Sounds like the phone is a couple years old, and I've only had it for 3 months.

I chose this phone over an iPhone4 as it is mainly business use, but am seriously regretting this decision. 

Solutions: 6,331
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: Latest OS

Greetings, and welcome to the BlackBerry.com Support Forums.
It is always helpful to receive help, to include your  device Operating System version, found on your BlackBerry at Device > Options > About, third line down, looks like "v6.x.x.xxx"

When you upgrade, the BlackBerry is basically "wiped" clean before installing the upgrade. Some third party applications must have permissions and licenses reentered as if they were just installed... because, basically, they were.

I'm not sure about your files being unfiled. What files?

So, after upgrading, it can take a little while for all the service books to push back to the device, and I assuming that is what happened on your BlackBerry Attachment Service for PDF files viewed from an email.

For you text messages, is the main SMS icon that doesn't open, randomly?

>> NEW! 10% discount on BlackBerry devices from ShopBlackBerry.com, including PRIV

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes
Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
New Contributor

I am on version 6.0.0.246, platform 6.4.0.105

Texts-  no, once i am inside the SMS log I cannot open a new text message within the log. 

Files Unfiled-  All my applications and downloads that I had in folders left the folders and went to the homepage. 

Having to redo permissions is very tedious, and frankly a pain.  Why do the permissions have to be reaccepted? 

Having to reinstall everything and redo my phone to my preferences due to a software update is not very customer service focused.  I work for a software company and if we required this for all of our customers I'm not sure we'd have many for long...

Solutions: 6,331
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

OK.

.246 is pretty old, in terms of the Torch.

Quite honestly, I'd suggest you upgrade to the most recent officially released OS .337 for the Torch.

Indy_Jen wrote:

Having to redo permissions is very tedious, and frankly a pain.  Why do the permissions have to be reaccepted? 

Having to reinstall everything and redo my phone to my preferences due to a software update is not very customer service focused.  I work for a software company and if we required this for all of our customers I'm not sure we'd have many for long...

Understood, but, when one application is upgraded, you most often need to reset those permissions again as well. In this case, you're basically reinstalling from fresh all applications (if you read that I said the device is wiped, much like formatting a hard drive) when the OS is upgraded.

So, were I to format my PC hard drive and resintall my PC OS and all of my third party apps, I'm likely to have to reset permissions and enter license keys again, all over.

>> NEW! 10% discount on BlackBerry devices from ShopBlackBerry.com, including PRIV

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes
Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Forums Veteran I
My Device: BlackBerry 9900

Jen,

How did you perform the upgrade?  If you did it via Desktop Manager, then there are options to back up your device (including permissions) prior to the upgrade, then after the upgrade of the OS, it will restore those settings.  I've done countless upgrades on countless devices and have always had my permissions restored.

The process should also restore your folders to the way they were prior to the upgrade, including apps and downloads.

Third party apps are a different story, though.  While the upgrade process will restore those apps, unfortunately most, if not all of those will need to be reinitialized.  While it's great to have the capacity to have dozens of apps now on my Torch, it is definitely a pain to have to re-enter all the registration codes.

Thankfully, more and more developers are building in backups and restores to their apps, most notably, one of my favorite developers, Bellshare.

But for now, the third party stuff remains the way it is.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
*** If I've been helpful please consider clicking the LIKE BUTTON beneath my post.
*** Please remember to mark your thread as "Resolved" by clicking on OPTIONS to the right of the post and selecting "Accepted Solution."
New Contributor

How do I update from the device?  I just went to Options>Device>Software Updates and ran a check and it says my device is up to date.

Forums Veteran I

The onboard update will only work with an OS from your specific carrier.  You need to use Desktop Manager or BBSAK (BlackBerry Swiss Army Knife) in order to upgrade to an OS from another carrier.

When you did your last upgrade, did you use Desktop Manager?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
*** If I've been helpful please consider clicking the LIKE BUTTON beneath my post.
*** Please remember to mark your thread as "Resolved" by clicking on OPTIONS to the right of the post and selecting "Accepted Solution."
New Contributor

No my last update was through my device.  I rarely use BB Desktop Manager. (should I?)

Hall of Famer III
My Device: PRIV (6.0.1/AAF518), Z10/Z30/Q10 (10.3.2.2813), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Indy_Jen wrote:

No my last update was through my device.  I rarely use BB Desktop Manager. (should I?)

Hello,

There are multiple ways to update...most will result in you being presented with only those OS packages that your carrier has sanctioned. The on-device OTA update, the BB Desktop Software, and the web-page updater all fall into this category (only providing OS Packages sanctioned by your carrier). Indeed, sometimes these methods don't even present the latest from your carrier...it can be tricky.

You can use this procedure to install (upgrade, downgrade, reload) any OS package for your model BB:

If you choose an OS package (via the linked download portal in the procedure) that is not from your BBs original carrier, then simply insert, between steps 1 and 2, the deletion, on your PC, of a file named VENDOR.XML.

Good luck!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!

New to the Community? Click here and also here for helpful guidance. Also please click here for additional helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button. Need a reference to BB10 OS/SR versions? Click here. Need a specific BB10 AutoLoader? Send me a private message.

...................................................... ......................................................
Forums Veteran I

[ Edited ]

Well, you don't have to use DM as sdgardne has pointed out.  You can use the loader executable as described in the article he has posted, or as I mentioned earlier, using BBSAK, which will allow you to pick and choose whatever operating systems you might have stored on your device, and then actually uses the loader executable to load the OS.

You will, however want to use DM to backup your device's data and settings, which you should be doing on a regular basis.  I do it as least once per week.  There is a method you can use via DM to also back up your third party apps, but it's a much simpler process with BBSAK to do so.

Regardless, doing regular backups is advisable.

The OTA upgrade, while convenient, kind of scares me.  As you've discovered, your settings, apps, etc were not restored to what they were prior to the upgrade.  Using the utilities and methods we've described lets you have more control over these things, saving you a lot of work.