Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

Developer
My Device: Tour 9630 on AT&T

Re: Length of text message

I have to put in my two cents just because I'm a developer and this may shed some light on things.....

It's very common for developers/programmers to put what may seem to be reasonable limits on strings of data. However what they can't gauge is the success of their application/protocol/service. Look at the system that computers use for addresses on the interent, back then they thought they would have all the numerical address the world would ever need. Now some years later Network Engineers/System Admins are hustling to roll out a new addressing convention because in fact under the old way, there are very limited addresses left.

Simply stated, the creators of SMS thought the 160 character limit would be sufficient, however they had no crystal ball and had no idea it would be as successful as it is today. Perhaps in the future that may change. But today, it is what it is.

"....A smart man will realize that he knows nothing and has everything to learn....."
New Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

So I guess the next question is, which carrier brings out the best in the STORM?
Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

Simple. Just use MMS. Really don't know why you need SMS and MMS! SMS is simply something that won't die!!!
Highlighted
My Device: Curve 8830
My Carrier: Sprint

Text message truncates and or cuts off messages to me.

Okay - I officially hate my Blackberry.  I mean wtf is up with the text messages? 160 char on my end...annoying but I can dig.  160 comming in with no way to read the rest is f'ing pissing me off.  I can't wait to ditch this thing for something else.  My old LG split them into two messages...reasonable and prudent. 

Blackberry is about 3 time more expensive, costs me more for the monthy script to the net, and the one thing I use the most on it (text message) is all jacked up. 

Oh and to the dude who wrote about the lengthy.....for real...sometimes you have to say more via text because for whatever reason you can't do it be phone (or don't want to.).