Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

New Contributor
My Device: 8330

Re: Length of text message

Apparently the Storm DOES have EMS support as JSanders is using the EMS capability on ATT according to his post.  So the question becomes, why would Verizon limit this on one of their best messaging phones?  For those that know, does Verizon limit it on all BlackBerrys they carry or just the Storm?
Contributor
My Device: blackberry storm

The 160 limitation is stupid regardless of who set it yes I love to text n would rather then talk on the phone...most of my text r over160 even if just by 2 or 3 spots n its annoying ;-)
Solutions: 6,380
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

[ Edited ]

Feeeeg wrote:

btw verizon supports ems on other phones, the bb simply does not have it.

And so the dozens of BlackBerrys I have used are all wrong. All wrong.

ok. I won't repeat myself, but scroll up.

Message Edited by JSanders on 01-09-2009 02:54 PM

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes
Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

Has anyone asked in their local verizon store if they can get EMS? It should be controlled via a service book or something similar.

I will do so anyway, and post my findings here. 

Guru I
My Device: Passport, Playbook, 9320BES
My Carrier: Bouygues _ SFR

bimbette wrote:
The 160 limitation is stupid regardless of who set it yes I love to text n would rather then talk on the phone...most of my text r over160 even if just by 2 or 3 spots n its annoying ;-)

hello,

we sincerely do understand your issue with the SMS limitation. What do you expect from us on this forum ? How can we help ?

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too:

Im new to this forum... but i had the flipshot before this phone and it automaticly sent however many txts it needed to send for the length of the txt msg. ... like if it my txt was 320 characters...it would send 2....                   

Contributor

I didn't expect anything from any1 on here....I am not even the person who started this thread....I simply agreed wit some of the previous posters sayin that I think its stupid......I am not lookin for help
Contributor

[ Edited ]

My last 2 Verizon LG phones (env and voyager) would let you send over 160 but if it were to a person who didnt have verizon, I would get a text message back saying "messaging content over 160 characters will not be sent if not to a verizon customer" or some baloney like that.. and it would only send the first 160... 

If I was sending a msg to other verizon customers, (3 of my cousins have verizon phones) it would let me send as long a msg as I wanted.. Yes, over 160 characters... Thus its verizon's limit, no matter how you look at it.. Obviously on the Storm they just took away the ability to possibly send over 160 characters even if it was to another vzw customer.. which I thought was annoying.

You should be able to send over 160 in a mms message tho, no? You could on the Voyager, because it wasnt a simple sms..

Or you could do it the old ghetto way and start a message, save it as a draft, start the 2nd message and save that as a draft, then send both one after another Smiley Very Happy

Message Edited by romajr86 on 02-04-2009 12:54 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
75>90>99>103>109>113
Apps: BB Maps, Google Maps, iSilo, QuickLaunch, Good Food Near You, Drink Book, Berry Buzz, Car Finder, AIM, V Cast Music/Rhapsody, Weatherbug, Storm Lock, Flashlight, Level, Pandora, RDM+
Games: Brick Breaker, Word Mole, Nintaii, Reversi, AI Checkers, Flight Path, Space Travel, Doodle,Helicopter, CoinToss
Contributor

yup i have Env b4 this n chocolate b4 that and with both phones u could send longer sms messages....MMS is upto 1000...i have resorted to the "old ghetto way" as Roma put it lol

Guru I
My Device: Passport, Playbook, 9320BES
My Carrier: Bouygues _ SFR

romajr86 wrote:

If I was sending a msg to other verizon customers, (3 of my cousins have verizon phones) it would let me send as long a msg as I wanted.. Yes, over 160 characters... Thus its verizon's limit, no matter how you look at it..

You are thinking in the wrong order.

The definition of an SMS is to be a Short Message Service. It is created to allow sending text in a small packet that will go through the same way as technical packets (thus 160 characters). So, an SMS being limited to 160 characters is not a carrier limitation, it is the SMS norm.

Then some carriers started to provide a new feature : "write a long text, and I will cut it in 160-chars SMS for you and send them one at a time". The magic was that they were able to place a link between all the small SMS.

for example, write a 200-chars text and in the end send SMS1 = 160 chars and SMS2 = 40 chars.

those same carriers provided the opposite feature : "receive linked SMS and visually concatenate them in one single message". So the original non-SMS message was re-created.

That requires the sender and recipient carriers to support the feature
That requires the sender and recipient mobile phone to support the feature.

today, most devices and most carrier do have this feature (send & receive).

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too: