Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

My Device: Not Specified

Listening to Hosted mp3s

Please be prepared for the onslaught of questions....

I have v4.5 installed on my 8320 and am very happy with it.  Watching youtube no problem.  BTW, I enjoy this model because it has buttons, making it great for messaging, emailing, etc., and it is wifi!  So the question I have is regarding the ability to listen to mp3 files hosted on the internet.  I am also a web developer, so I am very savvy with streaming technology and computer programming.  My main line of work (music), requires me to host music and distribute it for demo purposes.  I would oftentimes like to be able to pull up a track and show it to someone in the field without having to load it onto a microsd card.  These files are normally about 5-14MB, depending on the length, and usually encoded at 320mbps.  My main concern lies in that the iPhone (no buttons) has Quicktime running on it, and can load a file directly from an apache directory, whereas when I browse the same directory on the curve, I always receive the 413 error.

I read about this, and it mostly seems that the threads pertain to ringtones and changing the Download Max size in the Enterprise Server software, which obviously won't work for me, even at the best setting.  What intrigues me the most is that youtube is using the rtsp to deliver 3gp content to my blackberry, so my mind begins reeling and i think that perhaps should convert to 3gp?  my files don't work right in that format and it is a pain.  Are there any developers out there that see this potential in user/web interaction that are trying to make this possible?  is it possible to partition and dynamically use flash memory to achieve this?  can i implement m3us?  Looked into radio stations, but those m3us don't behave in the same way, as there is usually a streaming server pushing the content.  Setup a Quicktime streaming server?  Commission apple to make quicktime for the blackberry?  Please help, shed some light, something, as if youtube is working, so should mp3s (in my humble opinion).  I know people are hard up to treat blackberrys as business machines, but music IS my business. Smiley Wink  Even then, look at the storm (that one doesn't have buttons either).