Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

Highlighted
New Contributor
My Device: curve 8900
My Carrier: Orange

Lock Key / Standby Key not working after OS Upgrade to version 5.0.0.681

Hello

Sorry if this has already been asked. I updated my OS on my 8900 to the latest version yesterday 5.0.0.681 Most of it looks the same, however I used to use the lock ley (top left ) on my handset, to password lock my unit before putting it in my pocket. Now I find this only put the unit into and out of standby. Does anyone know why this has been changed? Can it be changed back? I am really angry that this usefull feature has been removed without the ability to customise my handset and put it on.

Why could it not have been an option to change what this key does? From a quick search on Google I see lots of other people have the same problem, and some are even paying to download aps to fix the problem!! For now I have changed my side convience key to activate the password lock, so all I have to do is keep remembering to press side button instead of top button. I cant even find anywhere that I can contact RIM about this, and request they reinstate the lock key. Very disapointed with the way this has been handled and the lack of support / advice / comment from RIM.

Does anyone have any other advice, or views on this? Is there a way to get my unit back working the way it was? Is there any way I can get an answer from RIM about this or have they issued a statement regarding it.

Many thanks

Kenny

My Device: Not Specified

Re: Lock Key / Standby Key not working after OS Upgrade to version 5.0.0.681

I have the same problem! My top button doesnt work and i dont know how to set the * and green horn for unlock again. How do you set it to the side button? Cuz i didnt know which option to choose. Support is very difficult to get indeed! CAN ANYONE HELP US
New Contributor
My Device: curve 8900
My Carrier: Orange

Hi Go to the options menu and select screen / keyboard. Scroll down and you will see where you can set the left and right convience key. Scroll down the choices and you will see lock password. Select that and it will then lock when pressed Hope that helps Kenny
My Device: Bold 9000
My Carrier: Vodafone

Hi

I have the same problem, and it is incredibly frustrating, how can Blackberry have missed this? I am constantly on the move and as a result have called a handful of people by accident before I realised it wasnt actually locking.

I have set my left button to Password Lock, but this doesn't seem to work either.

Does anyone know of a way to roll back the operating system version so i can have the keylock back?

Contributor

Same problem here, was working fine then after latest update holding * + Answer does't do jack, have to use the lock button up top left. Need to revert back to previous OS. gg RIM.

New Contributor

Same my keys are just really messed up. Does anyone know how to fix it? It would appear that there's a bug in BB OS 5.0.0.822 . After updating our 8900's to BB OS 5.0.0.822 we noticed the 'Keypad Lock' icon was missing. Upon attempting to use the keypad lock convenience key located on top (left) of the 8900 we discovered that while our keypad locked, the owner information is not visible, instead the display instantly goes black (standby?). The mute call convenience key also located on top (right) of the 8900 used to function as a standby convenience key (except during a call) in previous OS versions, until now. Unfortunately, since the owner information is not visible, this will prevent lost devices from being returned to the owner, as a person who finds the device will not be able to see the locked device's owner's contact information to return the phone.

New Contributor
My Device: bold 9700
My Carrier: Telus

Mine seems to lock fine, it's just doesn't display my owner information.  Like most of you that is a much needed feature!  I am guessing they are going to have to do a fix??  Anyone know the answer??

Forums Advisor III
My Device: .
My Carrier: .