Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

New Contributor
My Device: Bold 9000
My Carrier: AT&T

Locked out of Blackberry ID, please read and advise.

Hello all.

Somehow, Blackberry Protect managed to lock me out of my Blackberry ID. That isn't such a big deal, except for I cannot reset my password. 

I chose my BIS hosted email address as my Blackberry ID, completely unaware that password resets do not get delivered to the handheld.  I am not sure how far that rule goes, if it applies to BIS hosted email addresses. If it does, wow I guess I'm really just up a creek. I have purchased content attached to this blackberry ID. I added an auto forward rule in BIS and tried password reset, no go. I have  tested sending and receiving from the BIS hosted email account and it works, I just cannot seem to get this blasted password reset so I can unlock my Blackberry ID login!

Any suggestions? Please?

Guru I
My Device: Passport, Playbook, 9320BES
My Carrier: Bouygues _ SFR

Re: Locked out of Blackberry ID, please read and advise.

do I understand correctly?
from BlackBerry Protect, you did a password reset for your BlackBerryID.
And now you are unable to log in BlackBerry ID.

can you confirm that you cannot log in using a desktop browser on this URL ?
https://blackberryid.blackberry.com/bbid/login/

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too:
New Contributor
My Device: 9000 BOLD
My Carrier: Orange

I had the same problem  - apparently after > 10 failures of connections for Blackberry Protect (unknown reason) and then could not reset the password (got stuck). In addition I could delete my previous ID as I did not find how to do that since I the ID is locked and I cannot log in to my account... The only way out I found was to create a new Blackberry ID - and it seems to work with the old applications. Not a very elegant solution, but at least it allowed me to bypass this problem!

P

Guru I

you'll find some information about the lockout here:

Article ID: KB24157 BlackBerry ID lockout behavior

the article contains a link to another knowledge base article explaining how to reset the password.

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too:
New Contributor
My Device: 9000 BOLD
My Carrier: Orange

Yes, thanks, but this is precisely what does NOT work if it becomes impossible to login to the BlackBerry account anymore.... And when using the password reset function, the response is apparently sent to the account which cannot be accessed -- so it is useless.... This is why I suggested to change the ID...

P

Guru I

your email account should be accessible without your BlackBerry device, unless I missed something.

New Contributor
My Device: Bold 9000
My Carrier: AT&T

I'm sorry, let me clarify.  When I refer to BIS hosted, I am referring to blackberry.net email address.  If you review KB26361 it explains the reset will not be sent to the Blackberry. I wasn't aware of this rule until this happened.

I had Blackberry Protect set to do a backup every 1 week. Somehow, it thought my password was incorrect so it locked me out (by the time I noticed, there were 44 unsuccessful attempts).

But, from the other replies it looks like that's it.  I'm going to have to register a new Blackberry ID and repurchase all my paid apps, this is the part that upsets me.

Guru I

ok I understand. I never understood why people accepted to use an under-rated email provider like blackberry.net . I do not understand why RIM persists in giving that option to new subscribers.

I was not aware of the reset password not working towards the BlackBerry smartphone either. I think they should give a warning or something.

What I would do if I were you, is contact your carrier and explain them the situation. You can insist and insist so that they accept to do something (for example change the email address of your BlackBerry ID).

New Contributor
My Device: Bold 9900
My Carrier: Bell Mobility

I just bought the Bold 9900 yesterday and after setting up to my liking, contacts, apps etc. getting to know the unit and after some time for a novice like me, when I plugged the device into my desktop manager, it asked me for the password to which i entered but it is not accepting it. This is the third time I re-enter all my information, set up the device and it locks me out for 10 tries again and again then erases all my information! Frustrating and time consuming! Any one have suggestions to remedy this situation??? This seems to happen when I lock my device when in the holster and I need to unlock to access the home screen to which I have the unlock code. Neither this screen unlock code nor my BB ID password will unlock the unit afterwards, go through the 10 tries then I loose all my settings and information, need to reset emails, reenter contacts and so on....Please help

Guru I

are you sure the desktop software is asking for the "device software" and not the "password manager" ?