Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

Visitor
My Device: Not Specified

Long distance, same area code issue

Have had a 8830 WE for a little while. Located in Canada and required to dial 1 in the same area code but different city code. Smart dialing setting doesn't work as expected. 

Smart Dialing

Country Code '+1'

Area Code '555'

National Number Length '10'

Use "1" for National Dialing 'Yes'

All address book entries saved in same format (555) 555-5555 (sync with outlook)

1.  Local calls.  When using the green call button to autodial a saved local number in the address book with area code (555) 555-5555, smart dialing enters a "1" and the call is rejected.

2.  Long distance, same area code.  When using the green call button to autodial a saved long distance number in same area code (555) 444-5555 call dials normally.

3.  Long distance different area code.  When using the green call button to autodial a saved long distance number outside the area code (444) 555-5555 the call dials normally.

So when travelling to different locations in the same area code, but different cities, the smart dialing does not work again because the area code does not change.  In above examples, now in new city, same area code;  autodial a saved number that is now local, the call is rejected. The bb does not recognize different city codes as being the number that differentiates the prefix "1" to distinguish between a long distance call and local call.

Turning off the Use "1" for National Dialing 'Yes' or changing to 'No' reverses the above.  Local calls work, but long distance does not work in same area code, and long distance outside area code does not work.

Country code "Unknown" turns off the the "1" National dialing and uses the direct entry in the address book - so if in the same area code and city code local call success would depend on the address book.

Turning off area code by deleting entry, seems to use the address book entry and adds a "1" making the call long distance regardless of the area code.

So in a nutshell, without reentering all address book entries, which doesn't work because when travelling, the address book entry would have to be reentered over and over, or alternatively, have two numbers entered for every single contact or number, one for local and one for LD, which may work, but is not a practical solution, the smart dialing is not functional in a part of the country that has same area code local and long distance dialing.  At least with the carrier presently being used. 

Reviewed the forums and wasn't able to see the scenario above so took a chance at posting.

Any help appreciated.

My Device: 8830 World Edition
My Carrier: TBay Tel

Re: Long distance, same area code issue

[ Edited ]

I'm having the exact same issue.  Almost 2000 people have read this, and yet no one from Blackberry Support has bothered to respond. If anyone has a solution I'd love to hear it.  Thank you!

Highlighted
Hall of Famer III
My Device: PRIV (6.0.1/AAF518), Z10/Z30/Q10 (10.3.2.2813), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Re: Long distance, same area code issue

jetgirl22 wrote:

I'm having the exact same issue.  Almost 2000 people have read this, and yet no one from Blackberry Support has bothered to respond.  Guess that's them telling us to xxxx off, huh?  If anyone has a solution I'd love to hear it.  Thank you!

Hi and Welcome to the Forums!

1 -- the "view count" is not a useful metric for what you interpret. For instance, if a search is done and this thread comes up in that search, the view count is incremented even if the actual article is not looked at by the user.

2 -- these forums are not a user-to/from-RIM support channel. Rather, they are a user-to-user channel where kind volunteers attempt to help out other kind souls to the best of their abilities. Consequently, there is zero expectation about ever hearing from "Blackberry Support".

Good luck.

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!

New to the Community? Click here and also here for helpful guidance. Also please click here for additional helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button. Need a reference to BB10 OS/SR versions? Click here. Need a specific BB10 AutoLoader? Send me a private message.

...................................................... ......................................................