Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

Trusted Contributor
My Device: Not Specified
Accepted Solution

Looking for a Video Camera Application

Well I guess I shouldve done a bit more research before making this thread but maybe with luck someone will understand what I'm talking about in which I dont have to do too much work.

Basically I watched a TV show that allowed a person to hold their cell phone in front of them and stream themselves to another persons cell phone.

I have a blackberry storm but in order for me to record video of me I need to have the lens face me in which I dont even know if I'm centered correctly etc.

So as the title says I'm wondering if such an application exists for the Blackberry in which you can hold the cell phone normally and not turn it over and somehow you can see yourself completely as you record yourself.  Kinda like a mirror??

Does anyone understand what I"m saying? Or shall I go find that video clip and link it? lol

Thanks

Hall of Famer III
My Device: PRIV (6.0.1/AAF518), Z10/Z30/Q10 (10.3.2.2813), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Re: Looking for a Video Camera Application

[ Edited ]

Hi there!

I'm thinking the solution is indeed low tech. Since the camera and the screen are on physically opposite sides, there's just no way to have the screen face you and record you at the same time...and no application can possibly overcome that physical constraint. But a mirror would indeed be the low tech solution. Either aim the camera at the mirror and look at the screen on the BB, or aim the camera at you and look at the screen in the mirror.

Good luck!

Message Edited by sdgardne on 08-25-2009 04:28 PM

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!

New to the Community? Click here and also here for helpful guidance. Also please click here for additional helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button. Need a reference to BB10 OS/SR versions? Click here. Need a specific BB10 AutoLoader? Send me a private message.

...................................................... ......................................................
Trusted Contributor

Well I found the TV Show/Video of what I was talking about so now let me ask you this.

Are there cell phones that can actually do this feature? What are they?

Hall of Famer III
My Device: PRIV (6.0.1/AAF518), Z10/Z30/Q10 (10.3.2.2813), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

It would be a device with the camera lens and the device screen on the same side. I don't have insight into adequate world wide inventory to tell you what would be configured in that way.

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!

New to the Community? Click here and also here for helpful guidance. Also please click here for additional helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button. Need a reference to BB10 OS/SR versions? Click here. Need a specific BB10 AutoLoader? Send me a private message.

...................................................... ......................................................
Guru I
My Device: Passport, Playbook, 9320BES
My Carrier: Bouygues _ SFR

hello, BlackBerry devices and iPhone devices have only one camera, on the opposite side than the screen. Meaning you will have to guess where you are pointing at while you are recording yourself.

Many devices bear two cameras, especially Nokia N series, allowing people to do video conference and seeing what they are recording.
Some older devices like the BlackBerry Curve 8300 have a tiny spherical mirror that allow you to see your reflexion it it while you are recording yourself, but it seems that very convenient mirror has disappeared in the new generation of devices.

I suggest you to... train to point at yourself (it's a stupid advice, but it really works after a few dozen pictures). You can also try and stick a tiny mirror on the back of your Storm. It can be a silver leaf like on a MARS chocolate bar envelope.

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too:
Trusted Contributor

YES!!!!

Thank you very much "Nokia N" series; I believe the camera I saw in a video was Nokia N97.

I wonder if one day Blackberry is gonna do something similiar? Would be nice.

Guru I

well, video conference is common in Europe, but not at all in North America (I'm not even sure it is allowed by US carriers !), so until RIM decides to focus on european market or asian market, this won't happen.

Except if Apple does it first.

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too:
Trusted Contributor

I'm not trying to default your message saying "only allowed in Europe" I read another spot saying Europe is the only allowed place for Video Conferencing but

The TV show video I saw was based out of Las Vegas Nevada, it showed a guy on his cell phone video conferencing to a person behind a computer; so..................perhaps it was just pre recorded on that particular cell phone and not actually live?

Guru I

I don't know what his subscription was. I am just saying that video conference is not popular in North America.

Highlighted
Trusted Contributor

Samsung Omnia 1 and 2 perhaps? It has a camera that is pointed to you so you can basically record yourself.