Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

New Contributor
My Device: 9900
My Carrier: Vodafone

Lost Contacts

I backed up my 9780 to the desk top sw and then upgraded to a 9900. Since the upgrade I have lost almost all of my 878 contacts which I cannot recover for some unknown reason. They have somehow vanished even after a restore and this is devastating as I use the device in business primarily and have lost important numbers from clients both in the UK and abroad.

Can anyone help here as I have tried everything and expected the desk top sw to deal with this transition smothly which it has not ?

Zippmania

Contributor
My Device: Bold 9900
My Carrier: Orange (UK)

Re: Lost Contacts

Sorry to hear that - are the contacts on the old phone?

Are you sure you included contacts in the backup preferences?

Choose restore from the dts and choose "select device data and settings" (instead of "all device data and settings") and confirm that the number of entries in "address book" in the backup is what you expect.  if not, then the backup does not contain the contacts, and you will need to revert to the old phone.

Contributor

oh, and please explain what you mean by "I cannot recover for some unknown reason"

New Contributor
My Device: 9900
My Carrier: Vodafone

Looks like the contacts were saved within the built in data storage of the 9780 and that the sw never synchronised that when it was creating the back up so it is greyed out and inaccesible and I do not have the hand set as it was lost. Surely there should be some kind of warning that your contacts will be lost if you do not check the box for synchronising this location ?

Wish I had bought an i phone now and as I have 7 days to change hand set I should be able to swap it over as I have lost everything now anyway.

Many thanks for your help Dark Horse Dre 

Contributor

[ Edited ]

I am sorry to hear that - the worst case scenario!

To be fair to blackberry's, I never knew that contacts could be stored in the way you mention, or cause that problem.  I always choose to store my contacts on the phone (and not the SIM) since my Nokia days - as I had similar problems!

Did you enable blackberry protect before you lost the phone by any chance? there is a wireless backup feature on that application that can copy your data to the blackberry cloud..

Did you ever sync with outlook/other application on a computer?

if not, and none of your previous backups have the data (did you check previous backups?), then you are right, you are stuffed Smiley Sad

DHD

New Contributor
My Device: BlackBerry Z10 LTE SIM
My Carrier: 3

[ Edited ]

I can recover your lost contacts.It is possible to retrieve them.They are not deleted permanently.Dont listen to others who say it's not possible because they dont know the technique.

Removed personal information to comply withCommunity GuidelinesandTerms and Conditions of Use.

Highlighted
Super Contributor
My Device: BB Q10
My Carrier: vodafone UK

Hello zippmania,

What email address you used for your phone book? If the wireless synchronization is on your contacts should be in your email.
Blackberry! Here, now, forever!