Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

Regular Contributor
My Device: Bold 9650
My Carrier: Sprint

Lost Playbook - best course of action

Suffice it to say, I lost my Playbook....it was strong password protected, and I lost it around a month ago.  No attempts have been made to download apps in the app store, and I cannot think of a way that someone would be able to figure out the password.

Is there something I should or can do to deactivate the playbook pin with my device/appworld?

It was a gift and I'm upset about it - but when I can save enough money, I'd like to get another, and I'm guessing that all of my apps are gone - I assume I can't get them back and somehow deactivate the old playbook and reassociate the new tablet to my old apps...

I loved pairing the pb with my Bold, but I'm holding out anyway to see if I can hang on long enough for BB10.  I am out of contract with Sprint and my old 9650 is barely hanging on - I don't want to buy a BB7 product and be stuck with it while BB10 is released.  I'm starting to doubt my sanity in keeping a blackberry consistently since my first iDEN 7510.  I think if this Bold croaks before BB10 release, it may be a moot point, I'll jump ship permanently.

Anyway, looking forward to an answer, thanks, as always.

Hall of Famer III
My Device: PRIV (6.0.1/AAG111), Z10/Z30/Q10 (10.3.2.2813), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Re: Lost Playbook - best course of action

Well, you've posited a number of different end game outcomes, including dropping out of BB products all together, which of course would render any advice now quite moot. But, for reference, once the new "holder" of your PB enters the password wrongly 10 times, a Security Wipe will automatically happen:

• KB27188 How to perform a security wipe on a BlackBerry PlayBook tablet

But, nevertheless, you indeed will not lose your prior AppWorld purchases. Rather, when you get a replacement PlayBook (well, "if" I suppose, given your end game scenarios), you can log it into your existing BB ID account, and all of your prior purchase records will dutifully shift to the new PB, and you will be able re-download them without paying for them again. That's actually one of the features of AppWorld...you associate it with device PINs, but it does not assume you will never upgrade or change out your device, so there is a mechanism to shift your purchases to a new device.

You should, of course, change your BB ID password, just in case...

Good luck!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!

New to the Community? Click here and also here for helpful guidance. Also please click here for additional helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button. Need a reference to BB10 OS/SR versions? Click here. Need a specific BB10 AutoLoader? Send me a private message.

...................................................... ......................................................
Regular Contributor

Thanks!

I was aware of it being bricked.  My only question then, is it usable to anyone?  Is there any way for RIM to deactivate completely the device PIN?

And are you saying to change my appworld password?  Is that the BB password you are talking about?  I don't understand, I don't think.

Regular Contributor

Now I think I've utterly confused myself.

I remember when I activated my Playbook, I tried to use my current BB ID and it wouldn't let me.  As I recall, I create the account and I think I used the same password as on my Bold for simplicity sake.  I'm usually really good about storing all passwords in password keeper, but I can't find the info and I assume I did exactly what I said I did.

Assuming I do have the BB ID for the device, but no device, how would I change it?

I was under the impression that changing the ID can only be done from the device itself.

I guess if and when I get a new Playbook, I use the existing ID, pray it works, and presto, all my stuff will be there?  How will the appstore know that I no longer have the old Playbook?  Certainly it won't let me load the same apps to multiple devices, only paying once......that's why I asked about deactivating a PIN.

Hall of Famer III
My Device: PRIV (6.0.1/AAG111), Z10/Z30/Q10 (10.3.2.2813), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)

[ Edited ]

5eleven wrote:

Thanks!

I was aware of it being bricked.  My only question then, is it usable to anyone?  Is there any way for RIM to deactivate completely the device PIN?

And are you saying to change my appworld password?  Is that the BB password you are talking about?  I don't understand, I don't think.

Actually, it does not "brick" (unless something goes wrong)...rather, it is Wiped, to a condition as if fresh and new. So, that means it would be usable...Wiping is a perfectly normal process to attempt under certain diagnostic circumstances, but it is not intended to render a device unusable...rather, in this circumstance, it is designed to protect the priceless component of the device...the data...the device itself is a commodity.

Depending on where you are with OS levels, you would have configured either an AppWorld password or, more likely, a BB ID and password. BB ID is replacing independent passwords in various RIM systems so as to unify, under one set of credentials, access to a number of RIM proprietary services, AppWorld being one of them. But, again, it depends where you are in your BB OS process for both your BB as well as your PB. But, if all you ever used was an AppWorld password, then yes, that's what I mean...if you use BB ID, then it's that credential that you should change.

Good luck!

New to the Community? Click here and also here for helpful guidance. Also please click here for additional helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button. Need a reference to BB10 OS/SR versions? Click here. Need a specific BB10 AutoLoader? Send me a private message.

...................................................... ......................................................
Hall of Famer III

5eleven wrote:

Assuming I do have the BB ID for the device, but no device, how would I change it?

I was under the impression that changing the ID can only be done from the device itself.

Nope...see this:

• KB26361 How to change or reset a BlackBerry ID password

5eleven wrote:

I guess if and when I get a new Playbook, I use the existing ID, pray it works, and presto, all my stuff will be there?  How will the appstore know that I no longer have the old Playbook?  Certainly it won't let me load the same apps to multiple devices, only paying once.

When you log into, from a new device, an existing BB ID account, the system senses that you are using a different device, since it has a PIN that the system has not seen before...and so it asks you if you'd like to shift the account and register this new device to it, dropping the old device from the account in the process (one BB ID account can have only one BB and one PB attached to it). This of course requires you to use, on the new device, valid BB ID credentials.

Regular Contributor

For some reason I didn't think of it that way - I guess I'm more upset now that someone may have it and can just use it.  There should be a method by which the PIN can be reported to RIM and the device rendered inoperable.  Ugh, I realize that the data is gone, it just makes me sick that someone would do the wrong thing and keep it.

I must say I'm still a bit confused as to the BB ID issue.  I'll have to do some more research.

There really should be a way to install a BB Protect type of app on the Playbook...

Hall of Famer III

[ Edited ]

There are a lot of things that "should be" in this world...but wishing for them does not make them so. One can only trust that RIM, being the leader in mobile security, has these thoughts in mind as they progress.

What, exactly, are you confused about...has what I've told you not made any sense? Or, as I fear, are we all out of order in posts...that first set of double posts you did (3 and 4) may have messed up our ability to communicate clearly...I was writing post 5 in response to post 3 before I knew that post 4 existed, and then I wrote post 6 in response to post 4, but I'm not sure you'd seen all of that when you wrote post 7...so I'll stop now and wait for you to say you've read and digested everything up to this point...and you can then as specific questions.

Regular Contributor

No, I understand for the most part and appreciate the response.

I guess I wasn't thinking clearly, that the security wipe simply returns the PB to factory settings and removes all user created data......in other words, somewhere in my head I was thinking the device was rendered inoperable - I can't explain why I thought that.

Secondly, I just checked my BB Protect on my Bold - I have a BlackBerry ID.  I can't remember what I did in setup, but whenever I have or do purchase apps, I use the ID.

What I think now I'm not getting is......what would changing the ID do or prevent?

Hall of Famer III

5eleven wrote:

I guess I wasn't thinking clearly, that the security wipe simply returns the PB to factory settings and removes all user created data......in other words, somewhere in my head I was thinking the device was rendered inoperable - I can't explain why I thought that.

Hmmm...I can't explain that line of thinking either. Robot wink

5eleven wrote:

What I think now I'm not getting is......what would changing the ID do or prevent?

No...not changing the ID. Changing the password associated with the ID. PB's are relatively new devices...I, for one, would not yet be willing to bet ALL that I have in my BB ID against the tiny inconvenience of changing that password. But that's just me. I only recommend...you control your destiny.