Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

New Contributor
My Device: 9320 curve
My Carrier: tesco

Lost all contacs and text messages following an OS update, please help

Hi All,

I have just updated my sons 9230 Curve operating system to 7.1.0 (OS 7) and all his contacts and Text messages have disappeared.

All his music is still there and it has said that his sim contains contacts, but when you accept to transfer them to phone contacts nothing happens.

I am not a techno phobe but i am a mechanical engineer...............please can somebody help as i have just spent 4 hours with this bloody phone and am about to see if it will float in the sea!!!!

Pony

Hall of Famer III
My Device: DTEK50 (AAI82), PRIV (AAI795), Z10/Z30/Q10 (10.3.2.2813), Playbook (2.1.0.1917)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Re: Lost all contacs and text messages following an OS update, please help

Hi and Welcome to the Community!

Depending on a lot of factors, there may or may not be a source of restore for this situation...restore, of course, requires having taken a backup prior to the removal of this data.

If you took a manual backup to a PC, then you can restore from that...refer to the Backup link in my auto-sig on this post for information about that type of backup/restore.

If you used BB Protect, then that would be a source of restore.

If you did an OTA update, then the backup taken as part of that process is solely on the device...and once the process completes, that backup is lost forever, so it cannot be a source of restore.

If you did the update via PC, then their might have been a step where you could have taken a backup to the PC...search the PC for files with IPD or BBB extension. Then look at the date/time the files were created...the most recent one and/or one created during the update process could be used as the source of restore.

If there truly is no source of restore, then you've migrated from the latter to the former in this old saying:

• There are two kinds of computing device users...those who have lost data, and those who will

Backups are neither a reactive nor an optional activity.

Good luck and let us know!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!

New to the Community? Click here and also here for helpful guidance. Also please click here for additional helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button. Need a reference to BB10 OS/SR versions? Click here. Need a specific BB10 AutoLoader? Send me a private message.

...................................................... ......................................................
New Contributor
My Device: 9320 curve
My Carrier: tesco

where abouts is your auto sig and what does it look like please

Hall of Famer III
My Device: DTEK50 (AAI82), PRIV (AAI795), Z10/Z30/Q10 (10.3.2.2813), Playbook (2.1.0.1917)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Here is an image of my auto-sig area, captured from my prior post. This image is not clickable...but there should be another auto-sig directly below, and that one will be clickable.

Screenshot001.jpg

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!

New to the Community? Click here and also here for helpful guidance. Also please click here for additional helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button. Need a reference to BB10 OS/SR versions? Click here. Need a specific BB10 AutoLoader? Send me a private message.

...................................................... ......................................................