Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

New Contributor
My Device: Curve 3G
My Carrier: MTN

Lost bbm contacts while updating to Blackberry messenger 7

Hi can someone please help me!

This morning I updated form bbm 6.(something) to bbm 7. My blackberry did an identity update before bbm 7 was installed. After bbm 7 was installed, I went to my bbm and all my contacts where missing. For some reason the groups did restore. I did a normal back-up to my memory card a while ago, so if there is some way of getting my contacts back with bbm 7, or downgrading to bbm 6 again and just restore my old back-up so that I can at least get most of my contacts back?

Thanks in advance!!

Guru I
My Device: Passport, Playbook, 9320BES
My Carrier: Bouygues _ SFR

Re: Lost bbm contacts while updating to Blackberry messenger 7

I have found the troubleshooting guide published by RIM about lost contacts in BBM7 :

http://supportforums.blackberry.com/t5/Downloaded-applications-for/New-BBM-7-Update-Now-Available-Ge...

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too:
New Contributor

[ Edited ]

Hello!

Thanks for the reply, but I have tried that and it doesn't work..

So I'm now trying to restore my old bbm, and use my old back-up file. But does someone perhaps know why the RIM serveces did'nt restore by BB ID to my bbm 7?

Thanks

Guru I

my assumption is that the way it is supposed to work:

1) on BBM6, after upgrading "BlackBerry ID", your contacts are stored inside your BlackBerry ID, "in the cloud"
2) after upgrading to BBM7, BBM7 restores your BBM contacts from BBID

I think that some people do not have the latest version of BBID while on BBM6, and when BBM7 tries to restore the contacts, it does not find them in BBID.
But this is pure speculation from me.

To install BBM6 on your Curve, please read:
http://supportforums.blackberry.com/t5/Downloaded-applications-for/HOWTO-install-BBm-6-2-if-you-have...

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too:
New Contributor

Hi thank you for your help!

What I did was, I connected my BB to my computer, and the desktop software said that there is an update for my blackberry. So I did the blackberry update, and somehow I have got bbm 5 know. But the good thing about that is, is that I maneged to restore my automatic back-up to my memory card, so I got all my contacts back!
So what I wanted to know is, should I try to install the new bbm 7 again? or should I just get bbm 6? If I go for bbm 7, is there an spesific way of going about it.

Thanks!!

Guru I

my advise is to :
1) do a backup of your device content, using the Desktop Software
2) upgrade BlackBerry ID if need be
3) log in Blackberry ID
4) upgrade to BBM6.2
5) wait for BBM 7.1 to be released.

Highlighted
New Contributor

Thank you I will do so!