Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

Contributor
My Device: Blackberry Bold 9650
My Carrier: Verizon

Low battery/SOS Icon or No signal

Hello Blackberry users!

I recently purchased a new Bold 9650 and have noticed that when my battery gets very low it turns my network off, i'm guessing this is to save on power? The problem is, when I place the phone back on the charger and attempt to "PTT" or Push To Talk someone, their name doesn't pop up anymore. Plus, its extremely hard to get a signal back. Granted, my location is not the best area for Verizon. But still, why would it be hard for the network to re-establish itself once its charging? I've taken the battery out and all that, still no luck. Basically have to wait until morning with a full charge before the network is up and moving on 3G full signal again. Any ideas as to why this would act like this?

Thanks in advance!

- Corey

Solutions: 6,329
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook

Re: Low battery/SOS Icon or No signal

I don't know the "why" of why it is not getting the signal back properly upon recharge, but I will especially offer that draining these type batteries (Li-ion) is not good, draining actually damages the battery. Get an extra charger for the wall or auto and during the day give the battery a top off, even ten minutes here and there where possible. Don't let it drain below10-15%.

>> NEW! 10% discount on BlackBerry devices from ShopBlackBerry.com, including PRIV

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes
Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Contributor

Thanks JSanders,

I've used Li-Ion batteries in the past and i've always let them drain completely and do a full recharge everynight. I've never had so many issues before. I'll take your advice though and attempt to top it off throughout the day. Makes me feel as if my wireless phone isn't so wireless anymore, which is dissapointing. The network not coming back up is the biggest issue though, I can always replace a 17 dollar battery... a new phone is a different story.

Thanks again!

Corey

Here are some good charging tips, please read and you'll see that many of them will apply to you.
http://www.blackberryfaq.com/index.php/Maximum_Battery_Life
And here: http://supportforums.blackberry.com/t5/BlackBerry-Community-Post/Power-Saving-Tips-for-your-BlackBer...

For the network issues... Have you tried at Manage Connections to turn off and back on the network?

At Manage Connections > Mobile Network Options, what are your settings there?

>> NEW! 10% discount on BlackBerry devices from ShopBlackBerry.com, including PRIV

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
Knowledge Base Updates
Contributor

Hi JSanders,

Thanks for the links, they seem to provide a good amount of information that will be very useful for battery life.

Yes I have tried to disable/enable the network. Once it did seem to work, now it doesn't.

Under manage Connections >> Network Options>>> Data services: On >> While roaming: On >> Network selection mode: Automatic>>> Network technology: 1XEV (Which I have switched back and forth to Global when I run into this issue, still no luck).

Thanks!

Corey

Are you on Verizon or Sprint/Nextl?

Knowledge Base Updates
Contributor

Verizon