Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

New Contributor
My Device: Not Specified
Accepted Solution

MAJOR PROBLEM WITH STORM! -- Custom Ring Tones Do NOT Vibrate or Go Silent

According to the Storm User Guide:"You can receive different notifications for incoming messages and calls from specific contacts or groups of contacts. Call and message notifications for your contacts are received even if you switch your sound profile to Silent or Vibrate Only."

In other words, if you are in a meeting and on Vibrate or Silent mode, the phone will still ring if a call is received from a contact with a custom ring tone.  This is a MAJOR design flaw, and in my view, completely unacceptable.  On all other BBs, Vibrate and Silent mode apply to all calls/messages -- even those with customized ring tones.  Why is the Storm different.  It makes having custom ring tones meaningless since once assigned, they can never be turned off; so for those BB users who regularly attend meetings BEWARE!  Assigning a custom ring tone will be a career limiting move. 

As a loyal BB user for 5+ years, I humbly ask RIM to fix this ASAP! 

Forums Veteran I
My Device: 8900

Re: MAJOR PROBLEM WITH STORM! -- Custom Ring Tones Do NOT Vibrate or Go Silent

I guess it is something they should fix, although there is a reason behind it. Maybe a certain contact should always be able to get in contact with you? i'm not really sure, but this should make for some really funny meetings/ church gatherings.

If someone helped you give them kudos. Research all info!
New Contributor

I noticed the same thing, but thought I was missing something.  I hope they fix this soon as well..  Who and where do we suggest this fix?
Highlighted
New Contributor

I assumed that when I changed it to volume of active profile that it would float with the active profile, being off when it is in vibrate or silent or on with normal.  That does not seem to be the case.  It would make more sense that way though. 

However, I did do a temp fix.  I set up a custom profile that I call Default Silent.  I set the ringer in that profile to:

Ring Tone: Ringer_ClassicPhone

VolumeSmiley Frustratedilent

LED: Normal Setting

Vibration: On 

This causes it to vibrate when one of the custom ringer people call. 

Thanks so much for your posting. I searched the BB website & tried for HOURS to get it to just vibrate. If I hadn't found your post, I'd have gone crazy. This is my 1st BB (from a Palm 700w) & other for a few minor items & THIS one, I'm so far very satisfied.

-PhilSmiley Tongue

Its stupid that the phone does this but I figured out  that if you create a custom profile and set the ringtone to slient and then chose how many times you want it ring. It wont ring no matter what. Hope this helps.
Forums Advisor I
My Device: Storm2 (9550)
My Carrier: Verizon

After reading this thread, I did a test:

I switched my sound profile to Vibrate Only and then asked my wife to call me.  The phone vibrated and then rang!  Her number is set to Classic Ring Tone. 

I then switched my sound profile to Silent and repeated... no ring, but also no vibration.  

Quite annoying indeed.  I agree that it should follow the sound profile unless you have specified an exception.

New Contributor

You are a Genius!  Your fix works perfectly.  Using your fix, I set up a Default Silent (with all options to silent) and Default Vibrate (with ringer silent and vibrate on).  Now I can select either profile (instead of the pre-installed options) when going into a meeting and overide custom ring tones.  Why RIM does not simply make the pre-installed profile categories changeable (like on the Pearl) is curious.  But thanks to your fix, this "problem" is resolved. 

RIM should add your fix to its manual.

Thanks again.

New Contributor

THANK YOU....THANK YOU....THANK YOU!  You're solution to the ringtones sounding even when on silent is brilliant!  Smiley Happy
New Contributor

That's a good fix! I'm using it now and has reduced my blood pressure considerably. I will still add though that who ever programmed this profile at RIM dropped the ball somewhat!