Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

Highlighted
Contributor
My Device: Not Specified
Accepted Solution

MMS and ringtone formats are what?

Hello. Ive noticed that when i put ringtones on my phone via usb cord it will only register on the actual storm as a Mp4 file and when i change the format to mp3 on the computer and transfer it has trouble appearing on the phone. Ive gotten around this by converting every ringtone i make with itunes to a mp4 which shows up fine. I wanted to MMS a short 4second ringtone to my friend (hes on verizon too) but when I click add audio file nothing appears. Ive changed one file to mp3 and tried it again and it shows up as an mp3. I want to find a format that will constantly show up on my blackberry storms ringtone folder and be able to be sent to other people. What file formats are best for audio on the storm that are sendable? MMS audio confuses me hah.

Any help appreciated. If i cant send MMS mp3's or mp4's without causing another problem I dont mind. Its not a big deal.

Guru I
My Device: Passport, Playbook, 9320BES
My Carrier: Bouygues _ SFR

Re: MMS and ringtone formats are what?

how do you transfer the files on your device ?
I use regular USB :

http://supportforums.blackberry.com/rim/board/message?board.id=BlackBerryDesktopSoftware&thread.id=3...
HOWTO : use your blackberry as a USB device

and how do you convert a mp4 file into a mp3 file ?

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too:
Contributor

Probably not the best way. I change the AAC version i create on itunes or whatever and change the file extension from .aac to .mp4 and it works fine. when i do the same but change it to .mp3 it does not work. Do i need to use an actual program to change the ending to mp3? If so which a good free program ?
Guru I

aac to mp4 works fine probably because the aac is already in an mp4 container.
if you just change the extension of a file, you betray the Storm and he will try to find the mp3 header and will never find it. That is the reason why you do not see your files.

on a computer, doing such a thing is okay because most applications are able to guess the filetype even with an incorrect extension.

I suggest you to use a tool on Windows to convert your AAC files into regular mp3. I personally use LameDropXPd, there is a fish and you put a file, he spins and it's over.

http://www.rarewares.org/mp3-lamedrop.php

you can also use an online tool like this one : http://media-convert.com/

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too:
Contributor

Ok I downloaded LamedropXB or whatever you use and when i drop a AAC file on it nothing happens, how should I use it? last question (i hope!)
Guru I

right click on the square for options. if it does not work, use the online converter. I never tried converting from AAC.

Contributor

Ok. I tried a diff. program and then converted mp4 to mp3 and when i put them on my phone now it still wont detect it? What the hell =(
Guru I

The key is to determine if the mp3 created is really an mp3 file. To know that, you can use "GSpot Appliance" for Windows.

Contributor

I used the program and it said it was a MPEG-1 layer 3 file, which is equal to a .mp3 file. I'm not sure why the phone isnt reading it like it does with mp4 files..
Guru I

in which folder do you put it ?
and what tool do you use to upload the file on your device ?