Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

Re: Mac Bookmarks

Biff, My Mac OS X is 10.5.5 my PocketMac is running 4.3.0.127.   I know that I'm running the current OS for my Mac. PocketMac is possibly the most current also.. I would love to get this app working. It definitely will be more efficient. 

Have a great day! 

Regular Contributor

Hi - I've been trying to write a nice long reply here but my session keeps timing out before I hit submit and I keep losing all my text. ARGH!

Anyway - skidog I'm using Mac OS 10.5.5 as well with PocketMac v4.1.25. My BB is running OS 4.3.0.66. I wonder if maybe you have your BB OS and your PocketMac versions mixed up. I'm pretty sure the latest version of PocketMac is the one I have and that the previous version was 4.0.20b. The v4.3.0.127 sound to me like a BB OS version and not PocketMac.

I have been exchanging messages with PocketMac tech support about this over the past few days and they have suggested that it could be my BB OS that is the problem. This is a bit surprising since it meets the requirements they ask for in the PocketMac release notes (BB OS v4) and it worked fine with the earlier version of PocketMac. They suggested that I update to the most current version of the BB OS available for my wireless provider. This (of course) is the version that I have so this gets me nowhere.

Since all PocketMac support could do (so far) was to "suggest" that I update my BB OS, I'm naturally a bit leery about doing this until they can be more confident that this as a real solution. Updating a BB OS when you have a Mac is a pain as you need to use a Windows machine to do it plus I don't know what other problems it could cause since even though BB OS v4.5 is out, it is not yet available for my wireless provider. Until PocketMac can confirm that this is the solution and that it has been tried successfully by others, I really don't feel like being their guinea pig. The bookmark feature isn't so important to me that I really want to try this without more confirmation.

Contributor

My BB says it is version 4.3.0.127 (Platform 3.1.0.72).  Is that the latest?
Regular Contributor

Well that depends. I'm no expert on this but I know it can depend on who your wireless provider is and what device you have. I also know that v4.5 is out and people are using it on the Pearl with no trouble - even if they aren't using the version that is specifically tuned for their wireless provider. I think the best thing would be to check it out on this Blackberry site.

http://na.blackberry.com/eng/support/downloads/download_sites.jsp

Pick your provider from the list and see what version of the software they have for download. If it's the same as what you have then you should be ok. As I noted above you can try more up to date versions but you'd have to check out the forums to see if anyone has problems with them on your device/provider. If they do have a more up to date version you'll need a Windows machine running the Blackberry Desktop software to install it since there is no Mac based OS installer. Lastly - If you do decide to upgrade to v4.5 I think there is a way to do it directly off of the web and into your device using your sync cable. I saw something about in on the RIM site but I didn't look into it since I'm not planning on doing that yet - probably when it is officially available from my provider.

Contributor

Hi, Under "About" all I can find is the v4.3.0.127    There is no verbage that says "OS"   I went onto the site for BB downloads and the 4.3 is the latest. So, with all this info can you figure out how to remove the bookmark app that is on the phone. I would just like to get all my bm off since it just doesn't work at this time. Being a guinea pig is usually not the right thing to do. 50/50 that your system crashes and you have to reboot. I totally agree with you. It's just frustrating that this can't get worked out! 
Regular Contributor

Is that the About in Options on your BB or the About from PocketMac on your Mac? Don't worry if it doesn't say OS - that''s just short for Operating System. I was just trying to see if there was anything common between our systems in order to try and understand this - sicne PocketMac isn't being very helpful.

Note that there are different versions of 4.3 (you have 4.3.0.127, I have 4.3.0.66) but as long as you have the one that is for your wireless provider that's the important thing.

None of this really helps you delete what ever it is that PocketMac installs on your BB to enable the Bookmark Manager feature however I doubt that it will cause you any problems. If the icon bothers you, just use the hide function to so you don't have to look at it.

Contributor

Nope, it doesn't bother me having the icon there. It would just be nice to clean up my bb and get rid of stuff that doesn't work on it.  The good thing is that this is the only item on the list. Its a shame that PocketMac just disappeared on this subject. Hopefully the fix is around the corner. Take care and thxs for the help!