Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

My Device: Curve 9360
My Carrier: ATT

Manually Checking New Email

I will be going to England in a few weeks, and I need to know how to set my Curve (9360) so that my email messages do not appear on my phone automatically.  I'd like to bring up my email manually and avoid using up bites on junk mail.  Thanks for your help! CMShearer

Hall of Famer III
My Device: DTEK50 (AAI82), PRIV (AAI795), Z10/Z30/Q10 (10.3.2.2813), Playbook (2.1.0.1917)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Re: Manually Checking New Email

Hello,

There's really no simple way to do that...BBs have always been an email device, so no "manual mode" has ever existed. So, to achieve that, you have choices to make and cumbersome methods to deal with. Note that all of this has to do with Personal/Internet (BIS) email...if you are on BES, you should instead talk to your BES admin.

1) To stop all data services, turn it off within Manage Connections. This should allow your BB to still work for voice and SMS, but all data services will be stopped until you again turn them back on. With this method, when you turn it back on, you should receive all emails that arrived to your email server during the time period that you had it shut off.

2) To stop just email delivery, you can set the default BIS filter to not deliver email. You do that either inside of the on-device email configuration app, or via your carriers BIS website:

• KB04389 Change the default filter action when no filters exist in your BlackBerry Internet Service account

With this method, any emails that arrived while the default filter was set to not deliver will never arrive to your BB at all.

So, that's the choice...the first method is simple to use, but will flood you with all emails from the interim, and further will prevent you from using any data services at all. The second method is more cumbersome, but will prevent any emails that came through while it was "off" from coming to the BB, and allows you to use other data services while just blocking emails.

Good luck!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!

New to the Community? Click here and also here for helpful guidance. Also please click here for additional helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button. Need a reference to BB10 OS/SR versions? Click here. Need a specific BB10 AutoLoader? Send me a private message.

...................................................... ......................................................