Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

New Contributor
My Device: Blackberry 9300 Curve
My Carrier: Cell C

Manufacturing problem with 9300 Curve scroll button and cursor

[ Edited ]

I have recently have discovered a problem with the cursor and scroll button on my 9300 Curve phone.

Firstly the cursor jumps all over the screen or keeps moving to the top middle or top left or right corners of the screen. Sometimes it does this with out me having touched the scroll button, secondly sometimes when I am typing the cursor does its own thing and activates characters I didnt input or jumps around the screen while typing  - I can then not type as it is not in the input bar.  This seems to occur mostly in the afternoons to late afternoon.

I tried slowing down the cursor speed - this helped slightly as I could crontrol it better but the problem still persisted.

Then more recently the scroll bar goes completly dead - you cannot move around the screen or click on anything.

I have tried to do a system reboot - sometimes leaving the battery and sim card  out for up to 1 hour or longer. This did help and it returned to normal. However the the frequency of the dead scroll button increased to a point where not even a full system reboot helped.

I even updated the software on the phone - the cursor and scroll button worked fine after this. However the following morning - the scroll button died again and this time you couldnt even make out on the home screen where the curor was.....not even a system restart helped.

I took the phone in for repairs to my service provider in South Africa - Cell C. However what I learnt there and from my research has annoyed me no end.

After some research on the Internet, the problem with the cursor which jumps around the screen as well as a dead scroll button  is common manufacturer problem with the 9300 Curve model as many users have complained of this all over the world.

Secondly on Saturday when i took the phone into my local Cell C branch - their customer consultant told me that they have picked up the above two problems in the last 5 months with many customers having the same problem AND during the time I was at the Cell C branch, at least 2 other customers brought their 9300 Curve phones in with the EXACT same problem with their Blackberry phone - the cursor jumps all over the screen and the scroll button has died. One of the customers reported that the dead scroll button had happened for a second time - even after been repaired.

What I am NOT happy about is that I as a user and customer must now pay for the repairs to the phone and be probably left out of pocket of a sginificant amount of money as the phone is unusable without the scroll button.

Unfortunatly my phone is out its warranty as I got it in April 2011.

For the fact that the problems described above are a world wide problem and many people in South Africa have reported the same problem means that YOU the manufacturer and supplier of the phones should actually 'foot' the bill for the cost of repairs or provide a replacement phone. Clearly there is something faulty on the design/make of the 9300 Curve range.

This doesnt seem to be a problem with just one batch of phones but actually through the whole 9300 Curve phone range.

I would appreciate it if this could be forwarded onto the relevant people for further action/sorting out of the problem AND I would also like someone from your company to contact me about this. My email address is <removed>. I would then be happy to give my contact number if phone call is needed.

From a unhappy Blackberry user,

Mark Harlech-Jones

EDIT: Personal Information such as e-mail is prohibited for your security. Please review User Guidelines  under section "Be careful."

My Device: CUrve 9300
My Carrier: Orange

Re: Manufacturing problem with 9300 Curve scroll button and cursor

Hi

The problems you have described are exactly those I have experienced with my Curve 9300.  Firstly within 6 months of purchase the phone intermittently stopped working properly with the cursor stuck at the top or left side and making it unusable.  Sometimes this would be for 1 hour and then successively for longer and a day at a time. 

This has gradually worsened since the summer and now the cursor has completely stopped working.  The phone is obviously working as I can see messages being received and icon notifications.  However, I cannot retrieve anything or make any calls.  This is more than frustrating.  The phone is a couple of weeks out of warranty and the best my contract provider is able to do is take it in for repair - if this is possible it would be at my expense.  This would leave me without any phone at all plus I am loathe to pay for the repair of a manufacturing default - especially where this was first demonstarted  within the warranty period.

I am a UK end user and I have loyally stayed with Blackberry over the past 10 years instead of succumbing to the other Smart Phone competition.  Together with the problems Users had several months ago making our phones unusable for days on end this is too much.

I am a very unsatisfied customer and I refuse to pay for the repair of a manufacturing fault.  This is clearly a Universal problem and not isolated to any one device.  Blackberry really should recall these devices and provide customers with an alternative if for no other reason than to prevent other customers becoming increasingly frustrated with technical problems and losing usage and data information from their phones.

Please could a person in authority from Blackberry contact me regarding my situation as I am currently without any usage whatsoever and very disappointed!