Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

My Device: Curve 8520
My Carrier: Airtel

Re: Media Card Cannot Be Accessed Due To Fatal Errors

Hi, First My Key pad stops working. I give it for service and the keypad becomes fine. But now the media card is not accessible due to fatal errors. Is there no solution for this? Wonder why so many ppl have the same problem.

My Device: Curve 8520
My Carrier: Airtel

I am sure there is nothing to do with the media card. The card should be fine. Its something to do with the media card slot..
New Contributor
My Device: Bold 9700
My Carrier: Vodafone NZ

I totally agree it has nothing to do with the card, it has everything to do with the hardware...I can generally get mine going again by pulling the battery, remove the microsd without the battery reload the battery (leaving the card out) allow to reboot, wait a couple of minutes after the phone has rebooted, then load card in and 5 times out of ten this will work.
New Contributor
My Device: 9780
My Carrier: o2

I've had a similar issue since I updated my 9780 to the latest OS (for O2) 6.0.0.600 (6.6.0.223)

Since I have used several blackberries and repair them on the side I have acquired over time a very large collection of sd cards.

my 9780 uses San Disk micro sd cards 1GB - 32GB no problem what so ever. (tested with a 1GB,4GB,8GB,32GB)

BUT when I use kingston I can only go use 1GB - 4GB (tested with a 1GB,4GB,8GB,16GB)

This is the same for Lexar cards I can only use 1GB - 4GB (tested with a 2GB,4GB,8GB)

What's even more interesting is that the lexar 8GB card is a class 4 as well as the 16GB kingston where as all the san disk ones are class 2.

From these it looks like theres a problem with SDHC not made by san disk OR a problem with using cards that are above class 2, which is just crazy...

Please note all these cards work in a blackberry 9000 and 9300 (purple and normal like that makes a difference).

so my conculsion is that its might NOT be a hardware issue just maybe a software issue with certain card readers in certain phones. The only way to test this of course is to start installing different OS version (which to be honest I cant be arsed with)

Trusted Contributor
My Device: Torch 9800
My Carrier: telus

I had the same problem with a patriot memory card. I would suggest only name brand ones. 2 patriot memord cards same problem as you fatal errors. Sandisk is quite good as well as kingston.

My one patriot memory  card was fine for 2 weeks then died. Then other still gives errors. So I am only buying a

sandisk card that came with it for the future. I would suggest 8gb or up in size. Funny enough patriot memory

cards are only about $10 cheaper than name brand ones. Live and learn!

Contributor
My Device: 9780/6.0.0.285
My Carrier: T-Mobile

Me too !! (° ╭╮°) . . . Lost 3 months worth of ♪♬♩ + PICS !!
NO SOLUTION AVAIL!! I think (if not already done so) --- Blackberry
NEEDS to splain xactly HOW (& WHAT)--(or what~NOT) DM really backups ... Seems (to me anyway) that we are led to believe (@ least initially, anyway---) that using DM & making á "backup" of ur fone does just THAT.....wen, in fact, is NOT the case!! DM "MEDIA SYNC" sucks!! → it totally messes up MyMusic files!! My albums are left --- in pieces!! (^_^)? . . . (2 avoid duplicating songs ??) I refuse to use IT again!! Long story short--THAT DOES NOT make it okay for sdcards to be erased---BUT it COULD be á tad bit EZier to stomach...should it happen again ~ at least you KNO you've got á "BACKUP" (& á legitimate one!!) 2 turn 2--
9780/6.0.0.448
Contributor
My Device: 9780/6.0.0.285
My Carrier: T-Mobile

ӧƕ - A-N-D ㎰ ... I've NEVER taken my sdCard in ~&~ out of fone !! Its á scanDisk 8gb . . . (& if not mistaken, pretty sure it happened right after backup using DM) ---
9780/6.0.0.448
New Contributor
My Device: 9780
My Carrier: o2

I think the fact that your san disk 8GB failed I can only guess with that is you wore it out...

how long have you had the phone with that mini SD card (you get about 100,000 write out of it) so if you got a card from a not so great batch it wouldn't be uncommon for it to give out after 2 years (reasonable heavy use of course).

and with the unbranded point, its certainly feasible since the mini SDHC is a more expensive process (not much mind you) it could be that none san disk cards are just cutting corners and prone to errors that the blackberry hasn't been programmed to handle.

so I think the general solution to prove thats its a hardware failre would be as soon as you get this error pull the card and put it into a PC with a card reader and pull or your data (if the PC cannot read it then the card is fubar)

THEN put it back into the phone and do a repair and format then repair again. If this still doesn't work acquire a 4GB or lower san disk card and try that (mini SD card) if that works then be happy (you phone probably came with a 2GB one).

or try and san disk 8GB or greater card (mini SDHC card)  to see if that works.

if still fatal error then it is indeed a hardware fault of the card reader so send it back to RIM if under warranty.

(of course this doesn't rule out OS problem so if you can install OS 4.6 and OS 5 and to test with those as well)

until there is a fix/response from RIM thats all you can do (life sucks...)

Trusted Contributor

I have no problems with sandisk cards. Phones dont use any more than class 2. I had problems with cheaper cards and now only use sandisk although kingston I have heard is good as well.

So for BB OS6 is good for me. Just need a new sandisk card. Although I agree that OS6 needs some bug fixes for memory card problems, cache overloading on phones at times and other problems. Still a BB fan they just need to improve the software. I love my torch its my guide at times. So handy with all the apps!

Check out

www.trapster.com

They have a BB app that picks up photo radar and cops that have traps setup. Saved me a few times from tickets.

Trusted Contributor

Possible OS problem. Dont know. I would hope its the card. For me it wasjust cheap cards. Ever since I switched back to my sandisk 4gb that came with the phone my torch is happy and working fast like it usually does.