Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

New Contributor
My Device: Bold 9700
My Carrier: T-Mobile

Media Card Storage can not be accessed due to fatal errors

I have a microSD card in my Bold 9900 that I've been using for some time, but the phone started throwing up the error message above the other day.  The card is still good; I was able to pull the files off it from my computer and to reformat the card, but it still does not work.  I've tried installing, repairing and reformatting the card from the Blackberry's storage menu, but the BB doesn't recognize the card; it does appear when mounting the BB as a USB drive on my desktop, but the card shows up with zero storage capacity and can't be accessed .  The software is up to date (7.1.0, Bundle 998). 

It looks as if this is a common problem with no clear solution, and since the card works fine elsewhere it seems to be a problem on the Blackberry side.  Does anyone at Blackberry have a fix for this?

Hall of Famer III
My Device: DTEK50 (AAH108), PRIV (AAH505), Z10/Z30/Q10 (10.3.2.2813), Playbook (2.1.0.1917)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Re: Media Card Storage can not be accessed due to fatal errors

Hello,

From what you describe, I would agree and deduce the problem to be your media card reader -- hardware. But, to be certain, you'd need to obtain a known good card and test it in your BB. By "known good", what I mean is a card that is already functioning just fine in another BB...not necessarily a "new" card. It's also a good test to use your card in another BB. The combination of those tests will give a good indication of where the root of the problem resides.

If it does reveal that the problem is the BB and lacking anything else beyond what you described (e.g., no new apps, no updates, no BES with an IT Policy change, nothing at all changed on the BB itself), then the deduction would indeed be hardware failure. But, internet-distance diagnoses then fail to be of any further value...only in-hand evaluation by a qualified hardware technician can give you then a proper diagnosis and estimate.

Good luck!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!

New to the Community? Click here and also here for helpful guidance. Also please click here for additional helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button. Need a reference to BB10 OS/SR versions? Click here. Need a specific BB10 AutoLoader? Send me a private message.

...................................................... ......................................................