Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

Visitor
My Device: Bold 9700
My Carrier: AT&T

Media Card cannot be accessed due to fatal error?

Alright, a friend of mine gave me a Blackberry Bold 9700 after unlocking it, which is awesome. What's not so awesome is that when I first turned it on, it informed me that the media card could not be accessed due to a fatal error. So I checked the card, made sure it was properly inserted, then went to the options menu and tried to format and repair the card, both of which failed. So I tried pulling the battery and that didn't work, either. Unfortunately, I don't have a card reader to actually check this out on my PC. 

I saw that there were other posts on here from people with similar issues, but I couldn't find a clear answer as to what works to resolve this. Has anyone had this problem and worked it out? Please help. 

"The truth is rarely pure and never simple." - Oscar Wilde
Retired
My Device: BlackBerry Z10
My Carrier: Bell

Re: Media Card cannot be accessed due to fatal error?

Hello Harblargh and welcome to the BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

You can enable Mass Storage mode on the BlackBerry and use a USB cord to connect to your computer.

Under Options, go to Memory. Ensure Media Card Support is On, Mass Storage Mode support is On and Auto Enable can be either Yes or Prompt.

When you connect to your computer, you should be able to view the card as well as re-format it from there.

Let me know how you make out Smiley Happy

-HMthePirate

Come follow your BlackBerry Technical Team on twitter! @BlackBerryHelp

Be sure to click Kudos! for those who have helped you.

Click Solution? for posts that have solved your issue(s)!

Retired
My Device: 9900
My Carrier: rogers

It sounds like your Media Card is corrupted.  The only way to fix this is to format the Media Card.

I recommend trying to backup the data on the card then format it from the device or your computer.

Hope this helps.

My Device: bold 9700
My Carrier: Orange

i have been very happy with my blackberry 9700 handset, but every time i have a problem neither RIM or Orange (my provider) seem to help. At the moment i keep receiving an error message with my memory card, my blackberry acknowledges its there, but "cant be accessed due to fatal errors" and when i try to repair or format the card it fails, i have tried multiple cards and all have the same result so Im assuming it is the handset. On the RIM website it says to contact my provider, and when i phone orange they offer no repair options and only ask to pay a large fee for a replacement, which seems unnecessary when it is only the microSD card slot which is affected. Can you please help, i do like blackberry's but I'm beginning to wonder if there worth the hassle.

New Contributor
My Carrier: unlocked

It doesnt work, m also having the same problem, i have used three memory cards so far and they become unusable after that, v tried them on different phones and on the computer it doesnt read  at all

My Device: Bold 9780
My Carrier: MOVISTAR

Had same problem. Tried with another SD and it did work. Then I took the original one and re-formated using a PC. Tried it again with the blackberry and now it works.
New Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

My problem is identical but when I try another card I have the same problem. The device does not read any cards. What can I do.
New Contributor

had to buy a sandisk memory card after tryin so many cards, ther is nothin wrong with the phone

New Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

I tried other cards and they do not work. Also tried this card in another BB and it works. Sounds a lot like the phone software to me.
New Contributor

u can try and update your phone software to os 6, but i did all that and it did not solve the problem