Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

Contributor
My Device: Blackberry 8830 WE
Accepted Solution

Media card cannot be read

Verify that the memory card is formatted.  I have no option to format memory card in options>media card.  Anyone? 
Contributor

Re: Media card cannot be read

To add to above... I have the 4.5 software installed and the card is a Sandisk 8gb microSDHC.  I've watched the video and it's installed right.  I did find the option to format but got an error that it "MEDIA CARD FORMAT FAILED".  I've also rebooted the BB and tried again.  Any ideas? 
Hall of Famer III
My Device: PRIV (6.0.1/AAG111), Z10/Z30/Q10 (10.3.2.2813), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Hmmm...

1) Remove and re-insert the media card.

2) Batt-pop reboot

With power ON, remove the back cover and pull out the battery. Wait about a minute then replace the battery and cover. Power up and wait patiently through the long reboot -- ~5 minutes.

3) Format the card on a PC (you might need to get a card reader)

4) Try a different card (it might be defective)

5) Try a different phone (it might be defective)

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!

New to the Community? Click here and also here for helpful guidance. Also please click here for additional helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button. Need a reference to BB10 OS/SR versions? Click here. Need a specific BB10 AutoLoader? Send me a private message.

...................................................... ......................................................
Contributor

#2 did the trick... popped out the battery, rebooted, and waa laa... it is now formatted.  Thank you!
Highlighted
Hall of Famer III
My Device: PRIV (6.0.1/AAG111), Z10/Z30/Q10 (10.3.2.2813), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Cool! You are welcome!

BTW -- a batt-pop reboot fixes something like 90% (or more!) of problems that appear on BB's. Anytime you see strange behavior (especially something that's worked before), do that and it will likely cure it. Like all computing devices, this one suffers from memory leaks and such...with a hard reboot being the best cure.

Cheers!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!

New to the Community? Click here and also here for helpful guidance. Also please click here for additional helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button. Need a reference to BB10 OS/SR versions? Click here. Need a specific BB10 AutoLoader? Send me a private message.

...................................................... ......................................................
My Device: Not Specified

I just got a new Sandisk 8gb micro SDHC card also.

I have a 8830 running version 4.5.0.138 and I followed the directions but I am still not able to format my SD card.

I go to options > media card > and support is on, encry is none and mass storage is on.

I then go to format card and I get this message: "Media Card Format Failed"

I did the media card reinsert and popped out the battery but still does not see card.

Any other ideas?

New Contributor
My Device: 8330 Curve
My Carrier: Verizon

8 gb micro SDHC Class 6 card

I'm using a 8330 Curve and just upgraded my card to an 8 gb, micro SDHC Class 6 card.  It was plug and play...no issues what so ever (I didn't even format the card).

The one and ONLY problem I had with the card was that my PC couldn't see / read or write to it.  The fix was simple...I had to upgrade my SD card reader by purchasing a $10 "outboard" SDHC card reader that connects using a USB cable.

I do *228, opt 1 each month to keep the programming up to date - maybe that helps.

My 8330 is running 4.5.0.77 (Platform 3.2.0.51)