Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

Highlighted
New Contributor
My Device: Bold 9900
My Carrier: O2

Memory Card Recognised, Now It's Not!

Hi all, I hope someone can fill me in on an issue I'm having with my Bold 9900.

I had a memory card that I used in a previous mobile and when I got my new Bold, I just took the Mini SD out of the old phone and into the Blackberry. It was working fine, I could veiw all my photos / vids. However, I noticed lastnight that they had disapeared. I checked in 'Storage' in options and it advises 'Media Card is not currently inserted in the device'.

I have tried turning off / on, rebooting from the QWERTY key board, taking out the battery and waiting a few minutes but none of these have made the phone recognise the card again.

I have also connected the phone to my PC and connected to Blackberry Link - nothing.

I took the SD card out, put it in an SD adapter and plugged it into my PC - it wanted me to format it and then advised it will delete anything on the card! I tried this on an older PC (Windows XP Dell Vostro) and it said the same.

If anyone can even just advise me how I can try and get the data off of the card then that will be better than nothing.

Evil blackberry.

Thank you in advance for anyone's help.

PS. This has also just happened to my OH with his Blackberry Z10.

Hall of Famer III
My Device: PRIV (6.0.1/AAG111), Z10/Z30/Q10 (10.3.2.2813), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Re: Memory Card Recognised, Now It's Not!

Hi and Welcome to the Community!

A bit of confusion, can you please clarify?

technonightmare wrote:

Hi all, I hope someone can fill me in on an issue I'm having with my Bold 9900.

I have also connected the phone to my PC and connected to Blackberry Link - nothing.

The 9900 is not compatible with BB Link...you must use the Desktop Software for legacy devices, and Link only for BB10 devices.

technonightmare wrote:

I took the SD card out, put it in an SD adapter and plugged it into my PC - it wanted me to format it and then advised it will delete anything on the card! I tried this on an older PC (Windows XP Dell Vostro) and it said the same.

That is quite normal...format is format, it deletes everything...that is exactly what it is designed to do. But, can the reader read the card at all? If so, you should be able to copy your items from it. If it cannot, then your card may well be toast...but before you give up, you should look into PC-based recovery tools to see if you might get lucky. I've heard good things about "Zero Assumption Recovery".

It is completely possible that all data is lost...which, of course, highlights the need for doing proper and complete backups of the priceless data contained on one's BB. You can find full instructions in the post linked in my auto-sig on this post.

Good luck!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!

New to the Community? Click here and also here for helpful guidance. Also please click here for additional helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button. Need a reference to BB10 OS/SR versions? Click here. Need a specific BB10 AutoLoader? Send me a private message.

...................................................... ......................................................
New Contributor
My Device: Bold 9900
My Carrier: O2

Re: Memory Card Recognised, Now It's Not!

Oh sorry, all a bit new! Blackberry link must be what my OH uses for his Z10. I have downloaded and used the equivelant for my Bold.

If I put the Mini SD into the SD Adapter and connect to PC, I am advised 'You need to format the disk in drive F: before you can use it' and gives me to the option to Format or Cancel. If I press Fomat, it tells me it will delete everything. If I press cancel it tells me 'F:/ is not accessible. The volume does not contain a recignised file system. Please make sure that all required file system drivers are loaded and that the volume is not corrupted'.

I'll try the recovery and see what happens.

Thanks for your reply, it's the cherry on top of a crappy week! Typical that it happened to my OH too when it's never happened before to either of us until we both got Blackberrys.