Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

New Contributor
My Device: BlackBerry Strorm 9530

Message alerts intermittent; reboot

My Storm doesn't always alert me that I have a new message (e-mail, SMS, MMS, tasks, etc.) It does vibrate, but the audible alert is intermittent... this is so annoying! It is very inconsistent; there is no pattern as to when it alerts and when it doesn't. Anyone else with the same problem, or with advise on how to fix this issue??

My Storm also reboots on its own for some unknown reason. This is also inconsistent; it can happen when I'm in a call, or when the phone is just sitting next to me. It can go for days without doing it, or it can happen 3-4 times in a day. I've seen this discussed in another post, but just thought I'd mention it here as these are the only two problems with my Storm. Any advise would be greatly appreciated... Smiley Wink

Forums Advisor III
My Device: STORM 9530 on VERIZON 552 kbps

Re: Message alerts intermittent; reboot

i would suggest upgrading to the beta OS.

the most current is, just google it.

how to install:

1. download and install the beta OS to your computer.

2. open your PC's Program Files > Common Files > Research In Motion > AppLoader and then delete the Vendor file, which is in XML format. If you don't delete the other vendor's file, the software won't be able to install the software on your carrier-locked device.

3. connect storm to computer

4. in the screen where you deleted the vendor.xml file, scroll to the top and you will see the loader file, double click and follow the onscreen directions!

If I or another member have helped, be sure to click the KUDOS!!!

If your issue has been solved, please resolve this thread by marking the post which solved it for you!,SLACKER, FaceDial,Poynt, Myspace, Weather Midlet, You Tube, Tiltris, logMaid, Youmail

My Device: Storm 9500

I too had problems with the storm rebooting, if your still in your initial use of the storm, take it back and see if you can get a new one (we get 14days in england to do a swap for a new one, otherwise they send it for repair)

The SMS not alerting you, I too had that, I had changed all the ringtones to ones I wanted, and they worked ok, I change my GF's ringtone so it was something different, and they worked ok... then it randomly stopped using the sms tones, for all contacts.
I then found out if i put the contacts sms tone as the same as the one i wanted to use, they all came back working again!! ive sent my storm back to vodafone as its crap and keeps doing reboots!! do try the upgrade as i did the upgrade and it stopped rebooting, i got a msg to say bring the phone in we will fix it, so put the os back, and it immediately started the reboot again! i mean within 5mins of it going back on... WHAM reboot... so it maybe OS related, but i do think the demand for RIM to get the storms into the shops, has caused some stress and faults in the factory..

If myself or other members have assisted please click the Kudos!

One day Blackberry will rule the world!!
My Device: Blackberry 9500

Bought my Storm end December from Vodafone in Ireland.
It is rebooting for no reason or when I call, suddenly I hear a high pitch beep and then I can hear the contact speaking for like one more minute and then the phone reboots.

Now, I would love to do the OS install as recommended by Jeff, but, what about warranty? Is warranty still valid, even if you do something with a Beta OS.

I would like to ask before, as they are professional in screwing people here..

Hall of Famer III
My Device: PRIV (6.0.1/AAG853), Z10/Z30/Q10 (, Playbook (
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Hi and Welcome to the Forums!

The word we have is that using the leaked OS's does not impact your warranty. It may, however, impact your access to support from your carrier -- if they discover that you are using a leaked OS rather than the production version, they can opt out of providing you any assistance. But, for warranty, as long as you return it to the production version before taking it in for warranty work, they will provide that service.

Now, that said, there is nothing difinitive that I am aware of concerning your specific carrier -- this is simply the word we have in general. YMMV.

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!

New to the Community? Click here and also here for helpful guidance. Also please click here for additional helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button. Need a reference to BB10 OS/SR versions? Click here. Need a specific BB10 AutoLoader? Send me a private message.

...................................................... ......................................................