Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

New Contributor
My Device: 9790
My Carrier: Bell Mobility
Accepted Solution

MicroSD Card Corrupt - Files Converted to .CH extension - What are steps to convert to readable format?

The MicroSD card is corrupt (8gig) and not readable on Blackberry - using Blackberry Bold 9790.  Copied files to Windows laptop using SD adapter but cannot open them.  Majority are pictures and some videos.  FILE0000.CH, FILE0001.CH .... FILE0010.CH.  What are steps to convert to readable format for recovery of .CH files on laptop?

Guru II
My Device: BlackBerry PRIV; BlackBerry Z30, Z10 and Q10 w/OS 10.3.2.2639; PlayBook w/OS 2.1.0.1917
My Carrier: AT&T

Re: MicroSD Card Corrupt - Files Converted to .CH extension - What are steps to convert to readable format?

Those are corrupted files made from a checkdisk utility. You usually can't convert them to anything and I usually just delete them.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. Please thank those who help you by clicking the "Like" button at the bottom of the post that helped you.
2. If your issue has been solved, please resolve it by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
New Contributor

Re: MicroSD Card Corrupt - Files Converted to .CH extension - What are steps to convert to readable format?

Thanks John ... it makes me VERY sad to know that so many pictures are inaccessible.  I appreciate your response.

New Contributor

I tried to recover the files using "computer", "SD", properties, tools, fix / scan option - there were bad sectors fixed and saved in "found" but I can't find where it was saved to ?? It is not on the SD card that I can find.  I tried to access the files once again on the SD card and they are still corrupt.  Any suggestions as to where the fixed "found" files are saved?

Guru II
My Device: BlackBerry PRIV; BlackBerry Z30, Z10 and Q10 w/OS 10.3.2.2639; PlayBook w/OS 2.1.0.1917

Anything saved is in the .Chk files. There's little you can do.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. Please thank those who help you by clicking the "Like" button at the bottom of the post that helped you.
2. If your issue has been solved, please resolve it by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
New Contributor

it was worth a try - 65,248 KB content is corrupt and inaccessible ... lesson learned well but no guarantee it won't happen again. Thanks, John :-)
Guru II

How did it happen?

New Contributor

I don't know how it happened ... one day a few weeks ago when I tried to access music, everything was gone. I reloaded the music onto a new microSD card because I have other copies of it, but couldn't recover the pictures despite several efforts to transfer from blackberry over the past few weeks ... I bought an SD adapter and was able to load files onto my laptop ... was hopeful maybe I'd be successful, but alas, they are apparently unrecoverable. Happy New Year ... gotta love technology!
Guru II

Do you plug the device into your computer to use the SD card? I can't imagine the BlackBerry device corrupted all the files on its own.

That said, I recommend using Dropbox to sync your photos. That way you don't lose them again.

New Contributor

The MicroSD card lives in the blackberry and is where the files were saved upon creation.  These are the files that were corrupt.  I usually plugged my blackberry into my laptop to sync the photos/videos - it wouldn't work this time. 

As a last ditch effort to recover the files, I purchased an SD adapter for the MicroSD card.  I put the SD adapter with MicroSD card in it, in my laptop and that is how I found the .CH files.  I've never heard of/used "Dropbox" to sync photos, so will have to investigate that option further.