Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

Contributor
My Device: 9930
My Carrier: Vzw

Microsoft Exchange server withdrawals - How to wirelessly sync calendar- Any google apps users out there?

I'm a 7 year user of Blackberry and Exchange server where all emails, contacts, and calendar items are sync'd both ways instantaneously.  Now that I'm no longer with company, I'm trying to relearn how to set the BB up again.

What's the best way to have BB sync with Outlook? emails, calendar, and contacts.  I've looked into Google apps but it seems that it takes up to 30 mins to sync.  Anyone have experience with using google apps that can comment?

Hall of Famer III
My Device: PRIV (6.0.1/AAF518), Z10/Z30/Q10 (10.3.2.2813), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Re: Microsoft Exchange server withdrawals - How to wirelessly sync calendar- Any google apps users out there?

[ Edited ]

Hello,

"Best" is a challenging item to meet since it depends so much on the subjective judgment of each individual. So, rather than that, I'll try to point you to various solutions as well as some pros/cons of each as far as I see them.

If you are on BIS, then you definitely want to configure it for OTA email...but see this for the various capabilities of each email system:

• KB05133 Email reconciliation features for the BlackBerry Internet Service

Note carefully that historical emails will not come to the BB...that's just not what it's designed to do. Rather, it will present new emails starting at the time of configuration. Even under BES, it is not designed for this...though some older items can come to the BB via the BES pre-population function.

Also note that folders are normally not available...though with IMAP, they may work in some cases (things are different based on different OS levels folks are running on their BB).

To use IMAP on Google, you must configure that inside of Google itself before you configure it onto the BB...the best way for that is to (inside of GMail) shut off POP and have only IMAP functioning for your GMail, then configure the BB and it should grab the proper IMAP GMail configuration... you cannot direct the BB email configuration to use any protocol...it automatically selects based on what if finds available at the server to which you've direct it.

• KB15499 How to set up a BlackBerry Internet Service email address from the BlackBerry smartphone

As for OTA calendar and contacts, that varies by service as well...see these:

• KB00561 How to configure wireless calendar synchronization on a BlackBerry smartphone
  • KB22430 How to enable wireless contact synchronization with BlackBerry Internet Service

Concerning time delays, you can't get around those...only BES enables "real time" updates between the BB and the server. BIS-level services just do not have that.

As for Google Apps, that is a paid (to Google) environment, so I've not done anything with it. The primary thing that I believe it offers is the synchronization between Outlook and the Google servers for Contacts and Calendar. Calendar can be done without Google Apps (with an add on to the PC), but I've found no free add-ons for doing the same with Contacts. But, as far as I understand, Google Apps offers nothing to enhance the OTA reconciliation to the BB...BIS remains in charge of that functionality.

If you don't use OTA Calendar/Contacts, then the Desktop Software is intended to synchronize that data via USB:

Good luck!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!

New to the Community? Click here and also here for helpful guidance. Also please click here for additional helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button. Need a reference to BB10 OS/SR versions? Click here. Need a specific BB10 AutoLoader? Send me a private message.

...................................................... ......................................................
Contributor

Re: Microsoft Exchange server withdrawals - How to wirelessly sync calendar- Any google apps users out there?

Thanks sdgardne,

Great response.  I'm sure this can be a resource for many people.

What I'm missing are some basics.  For," KB00561 How to configure wireless calendar synchronization on a BlackBerry smartphone", is this sync between Blackberry calendar and Outlook calendar on computer?  I don't understand what is being sync'd.

Same question for contacts.

Thanks for  you help.

Hall of Famer III
My Device: PRIV (6.0.1/AAF518), Z10/Z30/Q10 (10.3.2.2813), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)

Those two articles (OTA calendar and contacts) are strictly discussing if/how to synchronize OTA between your BB and the SERVER that contains your calendar/contact data. Nothing at all to do with Outlook...you must use other means to enable synchronization between Outlook and the server.

New to the Community? Click here and also here for helpful guidance. Also please click here for additional helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button. Need a reference to BB10 OS/SR versions? Click here. Need a specific BB10 AutoLoader? Send me a private message.

...................................................... ......................................................
Contributor

Thanks.  So maybe I need to actually go back another step.  What server?  This is who is hosting my email right? 

So I have my own domain name hosted at godaddy.  I have a web interface for email, calendar, and contacts.  So I can sync my Blackberry to this correct? 

Thanks

Hall of Famer III

All things indeed function with the same server, though it is possible to have multiple email accounts/services configured to the BB (up to 10, I think). For instance, in your case, you should def be able to do OTA email with godaddy, but I've no idea about calendar and contacts. When you configure godaddy into BIS, if they (contacts and calendar) are available (checkboxes inside of the BIS configuration screen), then it can work...if they are not presented as available for OTA sync, then they don't work. Not all services are compatible with BIS for OTA calendar and contacts to/from the BB, even though most all internet facing email services are compatible for email. The KBs I think discuss which services are compatible for this function.

But, another workaround would be to only use godaddy for email, then use a different (compatible) service for calendar and contacts OTA to your BB. You would have to configure that other service for email anyway, but you could hide the icon away so you don't have to worry about it. You also can create a rule inside of BIS to never deliver any email from that account to the BB at all (since the only reason for that other account is to be using a service that is compatible with BIS for OTA calendar/contacts, if godaddy is not).

Note that in ALL cases, you must separately get your data synchronizing between Outlook and the email/calendar/contacts server/service...the BB systems do nothing whatsoever for that.

Oh...I just remembered one more potential issue for you. Was this BB associated with your work BES and they allowed you to keep the BB itself? If so, did the BES admin properly cleanse it of the IT Policy? If not, then you may run into all kinds of other troubles as you proceed trying to make it a "personal" BB...there are procedures we can give you to cleanse it if you need to, but they will totally wipe it clean (to basically NIB condition), so you should determine this before you move forward with anything else.

Good luck!