Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

Visitor
My Device: Not Specified

Missing Concatenated SMS

Concatenated SMS are being received but apparently randomly ignored. The handset returns delivery receipts to the SMSC but does not notify of new messages or list the message in the inbox of the handset (8310).

This problem is caused as each part has a constant unique number (0 to 255) so the overall message can be reconstructed. Once a message is in the inbox with a given ID 0-255, all subsequent messages from the same sender are ignore until the original message is deleted from the inbox.

This produces very random reliability of receiving long SMS messages.

Once the message is fully received (or the expected reasonable delivery time of all parts is exceeded) then it should be treated as a new message and the ID can be reused. Otherwise only 256 concatenated message could ever be received from one sender.

This issue is not present on several Nokia phones I have tested. I have not tested other makes and models.
I cannot find anyone reporting this issue in this forum or elsewhere? Has anyone come across it or know whether it's a known issue?

One day the mysteries of missing texts may be a thing of the past. However on this occasion I do not think we can blame networks for charging for undelivered texts when the phone is returning false information!