Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

Visitor
My Device: Blackberry Bold 9900
My Carrier: Celcom

Mobile Hotspot Turned Off automatically when i'm using it

Hi guys i am new satisfied blackberry customer, i own a new Bold 9900. Everything is great about the phone except one glitch that annoys me alot

So i am frequent traveller and my laptop is my primary source of entertainment. I used the feature of mobile hotspot heavily as i always share the internet connection of my phone to my laptop, The problem is under heavy usage (video streaming or downloading) the hotspot works just fine. However during mild usage (playing online games such as starcraft 2) It always turns off automatically causing me to disconnect and lose the game. The phone will display a message that is "mobile hotspot turned off due to inactivity" In fact i am actually actively using the connection.

I had searched through the settings and options of the phone there is no way for me to off the "automatically turn off" feature. This annoys me alot as the phone should let us choose whether we want the connection to stay or not. Anyone here can provide me some advice here? I just don't want the hotspot to be turned off automatically that's all.

Thanks in advance!

Forums Veteran I
My Device: Playbook 2.1/ Torch9860 OS7.1.0.746
My Carrier: Globe

Re: Mobile Hotspot Turned Off automatically when i'm using it

Hello genka

Welcome to the Community

I understand your frustration as this also happens  to me often. Please check if your phone is within the battery cap limit of the Battery Saving Mode as this can also cut of the Mobile Hotspot faster to save battery. 

By default, if your BlackBerry smartphone isn't connected to a power outlet and your smartphone and the other devices
that are connected to your mobile hotspot are inactive for 15 minutes, Mobile Hotspot mode turns off automatically to
conserve battery power.

1. On the home screen, click the connections area at the top of the screen, or click the Manage Connections icon.
2. Click Networks and Connections > Mobile Hotspot Connections > Options.
3. Change the Auto Shutoff Timer field.

Hope this helps you.

Ron

...........................................................................................................................................................
Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up Smiley Happy

Blackberry Battery Saving Tips | Follow me on Twitter

My Device: Blackberry Curve 9320
My Carrier: Three UK

Hi, I have a Blackberry Curve 9320 and have the same problem. Looks like it is a Blackberry bug, because even if I turn off the "Auto shut-off" functionality it will shut itself off when it mistakenly thinks I'm not using the connection. The behaviour is the same regardless of whether my Blackberry is connected to a power source or not. Does anyone know if RIM is addressing this? Thanks.

New Contributor
My Carrier: Optus Australia

Hi,

were you able to resolve your problem? I have the same problem and can't seem to find a solution. After upgrading to OS 7.1.0.658 my BB 9900 turns off the hotspot automatically after a few munites. I can't downgrade to the previous version because my internet connection used to get interrupted with the previous OS, now internet connection has stabilized but the hotspot shuts off by itself. I have called my service provider and tried checking various blackberry forums but couldn't find a solution.

My Device: Torch 9810
My Carrier: AT&T

Add me to the flakey hotspot list.  Has this been fixed for anyone?

New Contributor
My Carrier: Optus Australia

I downgraded to the earliest 7.1 version (i.e. 7.1.0.267(921) and the problem stopped. Even the problems I had with this earlier version, e.g. battery drainage & internet connection interruption, are no more there.