Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

Regular Contributor
My Device: Bold 9900, Playbook
My Carrier: O2 (UK)

Mobile Hotspot feature suddenly won't switch on any more

Hi there,

I'm running 7.1 on BB 9900 using the O2 (UK) network.  Until very recently I'd been successfully using the Mobile Hotspot feature with no problem at all (ipad, laptop etc. - ironically not working with the Playbook but that's another story).  In the last week or so I am suddenly no longer even able to switch it on the feature.  If I try and select the checkbox box next to Mobile Hotspot I see the spinning wheel (the green circle one sees whenever one first checks any of the network connection boxes), which then just disappears.  Any ideas?  I'm hoping to avoid the usual Kafkaesque - speak to your operator vs. speak to RIM scenario.

Many thanks,

Duncan

Hall of Famer III
My Device: DTEK50 (AAH108), PRIV (AAH995), Z10/Z30/Q10 (10.3.2.2813), Playbook (2.1.0.1917)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Re: Mobile Hotspot feature suddenly won't switch on any more

[ Edited ]

Hello,

Anytime random strange behavior or sluggishness creeps in, the first thing to do is a battery pop reboot. With power ON, remove the back cover and pull out the battery. Wait about a minute then replace the battery and cover. Power up and wait patiently through the long reboot -- ~5 minutes. See if things have returned to good operation. Like all computing devices, BB's suffer from memory leaks and such...with a hard reboot being the best cure.

That said, I have been reading on this site posts from others who report that some carriers are changing the services that they allow their users to have, including a few reports that some carriers are blocking all access to BIS services via WiFi. Perhaps they also are restricting the HotSpot feature as well (though I recall not reports specifically confirming that). I'm pretty sure that O2 UK was one of those carriers reported to be changing their service levels...but, sadly, that Kafkaesque effort would be required on your part to confirm it in your case.

I am a little concerned about that, however, give you say "speak to your operator vs. speak to RIM scenario". It's not really a versus situation, is it? Rather, to receive any formal RIM support, you must be escalated from your Carrier...perhaps I misunderstand.

Good luck and let us know!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!

New to the Community? Click here and also here for helpful guidance. Also please click here for additional helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button. Need a reference to BB10 OS/SR versions? Click here. Need a specific BB10 AutoLoader? Send me a private message.

...................................................... ......................................................
Highlighted
Regular Contributor

[ Edited ]

Many thanks for your advice - I guess not knowing where anyone's coming from on this forum you have to first suggest taking the battery out.  I have to gracefully reply, of course it was the first thing I did (and something I do whenever the 9900 grinds to a halt) .  Have also reviewed service book scenario as well as APN settings but have hit a brick wall.  My contact with RIM via Twitter resulted in: 'please contact your operator'.  My contact with my operator's 'gurus' resulted in them suggesting that the only way one can use a Blackberry as a Hotspot is by connecting it to desktop manager.  Quelle surprise:  illinformed operator and unable to go off the script (battery pull / clean SIM / service books etc.)..  Alas another classic case of falling between the cracks of the discontinuous Blackberry brand experience.  A shame really  because it could be really good.  (And was a joy to use)

Trying to hold out before I spend hours reloading the firmware and my apps,  but  have had a few application errors recently, there's every chance the whole thing needs a 'spring clean'.  Another avenue which is quite suspect is the operatoras I read that they've just launched a standalone hotspot device and every time I try and launch the Mobile Hot Spot I see a bit of two-way traffic with the network.  Could well be that the network is now not accepting the request for tethering.  Who knows...

Hall of Famer III
My Device: DTEK50 (AAH108), PRIV (AAH995), Z10/Z30/Q10 (10.3.2.2813), Playbook (2.1.0.1917)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

duncand wrote:

Many thanks for your advice - I guess not knowing where anyone's coming from on this forum you have to first suggest taking the battery out.  I have to gracefully reply, of course it was the first thing I did (and something I do whenever the 9900 grinds to a halt) .  

Ah yes...we have yet to find an adequate clairvoyance app, and the batt pull is 1) suprisingly useful in many situations and 2) suprisingly not done before folks post for help. Robot wink

duncand wrote:

Have also reviewed service book scenario as well as APN settings but have hit a brick wall.

Your carrier would have to provide you guidance on that...each carrier has different APN settings and Service Books that they provide to their customers. Further, if other services are working fine, then it's not likely an APN issue (though it could be a Service Book issue). I therefore suggest the following steps, in order, even if they seem redundant to what you have already tried (steps 1 and 2 each should result in a message coming to your BB...please wait for that before proceeding to the next step):

1) Register HRT

• KB00510 How to register a BlackBerry smartphone with the wireless network
  • Please wait for one "registration" message to arrive to your Messages app

2) Resend Service Books

• KB02830 Send the service books for the BlackBerry Internet Service
  • Please wait for "Activation" Messages, one per already configured email account, to arrive in your Messages. If you have no already configured email accounts, please wait 1 hour.

3) Batt Pull Reboot

• Anytime random strange behavior or sluggishness creeps in, the first thing to do is a battery pop reboot. With power ON, remove the back cover and pull out the battery. Wait about a minute then replace the battery and cover. Power up and wait patiently through the long reboot -- ~5 minutes. See if things have returned to good operation. Like all computing devices, BB's suffer from memory leaks and such...with a hard reboot being the best cure.

duncand wrote:

My contact with RIM via Twitter resulted in: 'please contact your operator'.

As I've advised, so as to ensure that this function should even work at all.

duncand wrote:

My contact with my operator's 'gurus' resulted in them suggesting that the only way one can use a Blackberry as a Hotspot is by connecting it to desktop manager.  Quelle surprise:  illinformed operator and unable to go off the script (battery pull / clean SIM / service books etc.)..  

Ah yes...well, the only thing to take heart in is that you received "poor" help from those you spoke to at that moment. You may well receive a completely different level of service in the next moment, from a different agent. But, the key is to not let them fob you off...if the CSR truly thinks what they said there, then I'd drop them quick and call back for someone else, because that is truly wrong (the bit about only being able to do this via DTM). Then again, perhaps it is (sort of) correct...if, as could be suspected, your carrier has removed the HotSpot function...

duncand wrote:

Alas another classic case of falling between the cracks of the discontinuous Blackberry brand experience.  A shame really  because it could be really good.  (And was a joy to use)

Well, each carrier, by being a BB provider, agrees to take on all front line support for their end users. If the carrier cannot resolve it, they have an escalation path. But, as with all things, YMMV based on the actual individual you speak with at any given moment.

duncand wrote:

Trying to hold out before I spend hours reloading the firmware and my apps,  but  have had a few application errors recently, there's every chance the whole thing needs a 'spring clean'.

Oh! That's "news"...and indeed could be indicative of something deeper that is wrong, and the loss of HotSpot may merely be a symptom of some other root cause...

duncand wrote:

Another avenue which is quite suspect is the operatoras I read that they've just launched a standalone hotspot device and every time I try and launch the Mobile Hot Spot I see a bit of two-way traffic with the network.  Could well be that the network is now not accepting the request for tethering.  Who knows...

Anything is possible...each carrier controls the services they allow for their customers, and at varying tier levels based on the plan level the end user subscribes to. With hundreds of carriers in the world, each with dozens of different data plans, it's impossible for anyone but them to tell you what actually should and should not function.

Good luck!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!

New to the Community? Click here and also here for helpful guidance. Also please click here for additional helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button. Need a reference to BB10 OS/SR versions? Click here. Need a specific BB10 AutoLoader? Send me a private message.

...................................................... ......................................................
Regular Contributor

Much appreciate your quick and thorough response.  Yes I did naughtily slip that fact in about the memory leaks etc. (thanks for not jumping on it ) but I'm sure you appreciate the sentiment that one would like to try every route with the operator first before going down the route of the dreaded firmware reload (and discovering later that it's an operator issue!).  Very many thanks again for your comprehensive and supportive reply.

DuncanD

Regular Contributor

My worst fears were concerned... A rather tedious reload of the OS sorted out the problem suggesting that it had become corrupted.