Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

My Device: Blackberry Torch 9800
My Carrier: Vodafone

Mobileemail

Hello,

Can anyone help? Are Blackberry stopping the use of mobileemail addresses?

I've been using a blackberry phone for ages and am now only having problems after my phone was sent away to be fixed.

When it's come back I can't get my mobile email address working on the phone anymore. It's really starting to bug me(to put it politely).

There is the option of forwarding to another email account - but I can only do this for one year. What is the point of this? This isn't conventient for me. Thank you for changing and causing a lot of new problems.

So, why is mobileemail being stopped on Blackberry phones and which make and models support mobileemail as I'm changing to a whole new one which will.

Hall of Famer III
My Device: PRIV (6.0.1/AAG111), Z10/Z30/Q10 (10.3.2.2813), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Re: Mobileemail

Hi and Welcome to the Community!

Those "hosted" email addresses are a function of BIS. BIS is not used for BB10, and hence access to the hosted email address is not available for BB10 devices. As you've already discovered, 1-year of forwarding is available to give you time to migrate everything that is using that hosted account over to something else. For myself, I never ever had any need for a hosted account...with the ability to integrate nearly all internet-facing email services, I just didn't see the need for yet one more email address, especially one so limited in use as the hosted ones.

While we never can really know "insider" reasons for things, my guess is purely financial. By eliminating BIS, BlackBerry is reducing their revenue. To continue to internally host services without the commensurate revenue would be a bad business decision, especially when there are so many functional solutions that are "free" to the end user. Yes, it will require a transition...but, after all, "the only constant in the universe is change".

The methods, services, and costs (to the end user) of BIS varied widely throughout the world. In some regions, there has been no added cost (to the end user) for BIS. In other regions, BIS included unlimited BIS-level data usage. In still other regions, there was no unlimited data AND adding BIS to an account incurred added fees to the end user. A very messy situation, from a branding, marketing, and most especially a consistency standpoint. By eliminating BIS entirely, things can finally be the same from a service and capability standpoint throughout the world, and it then falls to the carriers to decide how to price their plans to their users.

For example, in my region, there is no unlimited BIS and the lowest monthly cost plan that includes it is US$50/month. But, with my Z10, since it does not use BIS, I can have a plan that costs only US$30/month and has unlimited data usage (5GB at 4G, limited thereafter). Examples from other regions will be very different, of course...but at least now finally the services will be consistent...no BIS required yet still have access to all BB-proprietary services that are available (yes, that means the elimination of some services, as in the hosted email accounts).

Good luck!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!

New to the Community? Click here and also here for helpful guidance. Also please click here for additional helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button. Need a reference to BB10 OS/SR versions? Click here. Need a specific BB10 AutoLoader? Send me a private message.

...................................................... ......................................................