Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

Contributor
My Device: Not Specified
Accepted Solution

Moving Address Book

I've backed up all my information from a previous blackberry.  Is there a way to only move the address book to the new one without transfering the calender, SMS etc...?

Thank you.

Solutions: 6,350
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: Moving Address Book

You can restore the backup you have made to the new device by using the Restore/Advanced function in Desktop Manager, and NOT select the databases you wish not transferred.

OR you can use the Switch Device Wizard to move ALL your data from the old device to the new device, and once you are up and running, go back into Desktop Manager and clear the databases of the applications (SMS, calendar, etc.) you wish not to have.

This procedure will complete delete ALL Calendar entries and/or Address Book entries on your BlackBerry.

If you are wishing to delete a database on the BlackBerry other than the Address Book or Calendar for which this instrunctional is written, then replace your application database where below reads "Address Book" or "Calendar".

1. Open Desktop Manager on your PC.

2. Open up Backup/Restore > Advanced.

3. From Advanced you'll see a split pane screen. The left pain is what is going to be backed up from your device and the right is a list of the currently existing databases.

3. Highlight on the right side your Address Book database (or your Calendar database) and click the arrow in the middle pointing to the left. This will copy the information over and prepare it for back-up.

4. Once the back-up has completed, hit the Clear button at the bottom to erase and clean out the entire address book database (or Calendar database).

5. After it's finished, it will ask you if you want to save the back-up you've created, say yes and check the device to make sure the address book (or calendar) has been properly cleared out. Now, resync the necessary contact information and you should be set to go.

>> NEW! 10% discount on BlackBerry devices from ShopBlackBerry.com, including PRIV

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes
Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Contributor

Thank you so much.  Hopefully we can get my other, more challenging issue resolved.

I think you solved the thread to the incorrect post.

What is your more challenging issue?

>> NEW! 10% discount on BlackBerry devices from ShopBlackBerry.com, including PRIV

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
Knowledge Base Updates
Contributor

I did, I realized that immediately.  I clicked the check in my own post.  I apologize, if you can reverse it, I'll click it your post.  The challenging issue is with the 8820 and loading the OS back to the phone.  I'm the one you told to try it 20 times and in the correct order of instructions.

Cool. Got that, thanks.

I'll find that thread about the OS upgrade and look back over it.

Smiley Happy

Knowledge Base Updates