Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

Contributor
My Device: 9550
My Carrier: Verizon

Multiple Concurrent Bluetooth Connections in a Car

[ Edited ]

I want to use my Storm 2 for both Phone and Music in my Acura TL.  The TL has Handsfree Link built in and this works great.  However, there is no music link built in.  I bought the Kensington LiquidAUX, which also works great.  However, here is my problem.  I want the Storm 2 to connect to the Handsfree Link for the Phone and to connect to the LiquidAUX for the music.  At the same time.  So that the music Bluetooths through the LiquidAUX but the TL Handsfree Link controls the Phone.  But the LiquidAUX seems to take control.  When I get in the car, the Storm 2 connects to the LiquidAUX and not to the Handsfree Link, so that when I get a call, I need to speak into the Phone or use the handsfree feature of the LiquidAUX.  Why not use the LiquidAUX for both features you may ask?  Because the power plug and mp3 connection are in the center console storage box and my voice does not travel through the box lid.  Does anyone have any advice?  For example, is there any way to set up the Storm 2 to give primary preference to the Handsfree Link and secondary preference to the LiquidAUX?  I note that on the Storm 2 Bluetooth Options, the LiquidAUX is listed first even thought I paired it after the Handsfree Link.  Does it matter where each Bluetooth device is located on the list?  Feel free to ask me for any more information.  Larry - [removed personal information]

Contributor

Re: Multiple Concurrent Bluetooth Connections in a Car

As additional information, when you go into Manage Connections -> Paired Devices -> LiquidAUX -> Device Properties and -> HandsFreeLink -> Device Properties, both show Under "Services" "Handsfree".  Maybe if I could delete "Handsfree" from the LiquidAUX Device Properties this would solve the problem?  However, I do not see any way to delete this.  I've tried highlighting it and pressing it (nothing happens) and highlighting it and using the Menu (no delete comes up).

Highlighted
New Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

What model year is your TL? I'm guessing it's a 3G (2004-2008) not a 4G (2009+) TL.

I have a Storm2 and an 09 TL and the HFL and Bluetooth audio work flawlessly. Prior to that I had an 06 TL and the best way to accomplish both was to use Bluetooth for HFL and to run an AUX cable to the audio system for music. It wasn't a big deal for me though, just one cable that was easilly hidden.

Contributor

07 TL.  I've always used the cable before and that works fine in conjunction with the HFL.  I just wanted to go completely wireless.

Contributor

Here's a thought, and what I'll try tonight.  I'll report back if it works.  Even if it doesn't.

I am going to "Delete Device" the LiquidAUX from the Storm 2 Bluetooth menu.  Then I am going to uncheck the "Headset" and "Handsfree" Services on the Storm 2 Bluetooth Options.  Then I am going to re-pair the Storm 2 to the LiquidAUX.  As Headset and Handsfree will be turned off, my thinking is that the LiquidAUX will only be able to pair with the "Audio Source", which is what I want.  Once that's done, I'll turn the "Handsfree" back on.  Hopefully, the LiquidAUX is not sophisticated enough to auto-pair with Handsfree after this.  It looks good on paper, but I'll see if it works tonight.

(Sorry, Dany_S.  I didn't realize I wasn't supposed to include an email address.  It won't happen again.)

Contributor

Nope, didn't work.

LiquidAUX asked to pair and when it did, it still had listed all of the Services, including Handsfree, Headset, and Audio Services even though Handsfree and Headset were turned off on the Storm 2.  LiquidAUX then connected with the Storm 2 and knocked HFL off.  When I went into Manage Connections and hit "Connect" for HFL, it knocked LiquidAUX off.  And vice versa.  So, my guess is that there is a conflict caused by LiquidAUX connecting to all of the Storm 2 Services.

Now, in the LiquidAUX instructions, it says you can select either or both of Handsfree or Audio when you pair the device with a phone.  However, when I paired the device with the Storm 2, I was not given this option.  The Storm 2 merely asked if I wanted to pair with LiquidAUX.

So, any other thoughts or suggestions?

My Device: Curve - 8330

Have you resolved this yet? Came acrose this post trying to do the same split between my aux input on my motorcycle stereo for music and my Garmin GPS for phone. Needless to say I've tried everything you tried and came up with the same results. What we need to do is somehow disable the handfree and headset profiles in the LiquidAux. I called Kensington tech support and they said there was no way to do that. They just made this thing too easy to use IMO.

Contributor

Yes, I did.  But it's been a while - I just use a cable now.  But here's what I remember.  Have both the HFL and the LiquidAux be on.  Let both "find" the Storm2.  What will happen is that the LiquidAux will pretty much override the HFL.  Go to Manage Connections.  Go to Bluetooth Options (or Set Up Bluetooth, I don't remember).  Highlight LiquidAux.  Turn it off (disconnect).  Your car now will connect with the Storm2 via HFL.  Highlight LiquidAux again.  Turn it on (connect).  Your car will only connect with the stereo and not the phone.  It takes less time than you think, and worked for me. 

Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

I will assume the TL connection is similar to the TSX-the audio choices include bluetooth audio and the audio input jack which plugs into the bb earpiece. They both will work although have not tried the bluetooth when plugs into the car through the ear -it just depends upon the audio input source selected on the car's audio choice.