Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

Super Contributor
My Device: Torch 9800
My Carrier: Vodafone Qatar

Mute Key NOT working

Hello All,

I have got my Blackberry since January, it was working fine a day by day the Mute key had to be pressed harder to respond to switch to StandBy or Mute something, till today it was working very hard at the morning, I went to the white house in tour to take some pictures, as I never have been to the USA before, when I finished taking some pictures I tried to press Mute key to switch to StandBy and it doesn't respond at all, tried to press it hardly but still can't respond to any press I went to the nearest bestbuy outlet and they told me they will be sending it to Blackberry repair service and will take about 2 weeks, for sure I refused because I will be returning tomorrow to my country(Qatar) which has no official Blackberry repair service,

I am sorry that I expanded in telling this story but is that Software or Hardware issue? And what may cause this and what is the best solution to be DONE?

Thanks in advance

Mohamed Rizk,

New Contributor
My Device: Bold 9000
My Carrier: AT&T

Re: Mute Key NOT working

[ Edited ]

I had the same problem with my Bold 9000, I had to keep pressing harder or over and over to get the mute button to work.  In my case, the contacts inside of the button had started to corrode.  To solve this, I took the phone apart and used a PCB-safe anti-corrosive lubricant.  You can read my write up here: http://forums.crackberry.com/f83/longtime-bold-owner-s-fixes-dysfunctional-speakerphone-mute-button-...

If your Blackberry is still under warranty, I'd advise against taking it apart, as this will void the warranty.  Be very careful with other lubricants/solvents, such as WD-40, as they are not designed to be safely used with microelectronics and can do more harm than good.

Best of luck!

Highlighted
New Contributor
My Device: Bold 9000
My Carrier: O2 Germany

Re: Mute Key NOT working

Hi there!

I have the same problem and I think its a software issue. The button make a clicking noise, so there is a mechnical action, but nothing happens.

As I have other problems with the keyboard since some days, I am thinking of sending it back.

Good luck!

Bye