Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

Highlighted
New Contributor
My Device: Torch 9810 (Unlocked)
My Carrier: T-Mobile

My 9810 Torch will not Synch with Outlook at Work

I have an unlocked 9810 and my service is with T-Mobile. I had a Blackberry Curve and I put the SIM card into the 9810 hopint to bring my contacts over but The contacts did not copy.

I set up a non enterprise account with my Outlook server at work. Nothing Synchs or reconciles. 

All my emails are arriving open on my laptop. They arrive closed on my Blackberry.

Tonight I forwarded an email to myself on my laptop. It arrived on my laptop with the envelope closed. But as soon as the email showed up on my Blackberry, the envelope on my laptop opened.

If I delete an email on my Blackberry, email deletes on the laptop. But if I delete an email on my laptop, it doesn’t delete on my Blackberry.  Everything seems to be driven by the Blackberry.

It’s very confusing to use my email now and I don’t understand what’s happening.

Can anyone help?

Thanks.

JAG

JAG
Hall of Famer III
My Device: PRIV (6.0.1/AAF518), Z10/Z30/Q10 (10.3.2.2813), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Re: My 9810 Torch will not Synch with Outlook at Work

Hi and Welcome to the Community!

You were not explicit, so I must guess that you mean Outlook Web Access (OWA) is what you are using as your portal into your work account. As such, this will apply regarding email reconciliation:

• Article ID: KB05133 Email reconciliation features for the BlackBerry Internet Service

If it is not working correctly (some of what you described sounds correct, but some does not), then with a strong carrier network signal (e.g., not merely WiFi), I suggest the following steps, in order, even if they seem redundant to what you have already tried (steps 1 and 2 each should result in a message coming to your BB...please wait for that before proceeding to the next step):

1) Register HRT

• KB00510 How to register a BlackBerry smartphone with the wireless network
  • Please wait for one "registration" message to arrive to your Messages app

2) Delete and Resend Service Books

• KB05000Delete the service book for the BlackBerry Internet Service email account from the BlackBerry smartphone
  • If you have no CMIME entry, then skip the deletion
  • KB02830 Send the service books for the BlackBerry Internet Service
  • Please wait for "Activation" Messages, one per already configured email account, to arrive in your Messages. If you have no already configured email accounts, please wait 1 hour.

3) Reboot

• With power ON, remove the back cover and pull out the battery. Wait about a minute then replace the battery and cover. Power up and wait patiently through the long reboot -- ~5 minutes.
  • See if things have returned to good operation. Like all computing devices, BB's suffer from memory leaks and such...with a hard reboot being the best cure.

Hopefully that will get things going again for you! If not, then you should try deleting and re-adding your configurations for the affected email accounts. Otherwise, you should contact your mobile service provider for formal support.

As for calendar and contact synchronization, those simply are not supported OTA (Over The Air) with OWA.

Good luck!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!

New to the Community? Click here and also here for helpful guidance. Also please click here for additional helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button. Need a reference to BB10 OS/SR versions? Click here. Need a specific BB10 AutoLoader? Send me a private message.

...................................................... ......................................................
New Contributor

Thank you very much for your detailed response. I will try your suggestions but I also wanted to be more specific about my portal. When I go into my company e-mail account, I am directly online with their server. I have the capability to access company e-mail via the internet as an emergency back-up in case of server issues at the company, but normally I'm online with the company's Outlook e-mail directly.

When I got this new Torch last week, I asked for a server password to set up an Enterprise account. Our IT person told me I didn't need a server password because I didn't need to set up an Enterprise account at all. All I needed to do was to set up a regular email account and follow the instructions he gave me. So I reluctantly did it (it didn't make sense that it could work right) and nothing has synched/reconciled properly ever since.  Am I correct in believing that many of my problems would disappear if  I had set up an Enterprise account?

Thanks again.

JAG

JAG
Hall of Famer III
My Device: PRIV (6.0.1/AAF518), Z10/Z30/Q10 (10.3.2.2813), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)

jagolds1 wrote:

Thank you very much for your detailed response. I will try your suggestions but I also wanted to be more specific about my portal. When I go into my company e-mail account, I am directly online with their server. I have the capability to access company e-mail via the internet as an emergency back-up in case of server issues at the company, but normally I'm online with the company's Outlook e-mail directly.

I'm sorry, but from that description, I still cannot tell for sure. From that description, I still guess that it is OWA, but I cannot be 100% certain. I recommend you talk to your company email admins to find out exactly the methodology you are using, so that we can know exactly the right pathways to guide you toward.

jagolds1 wrote:

When I got this new Torch last week, I asked for a server password to set up an Enterprise account. Our IT person told me I didn't need a server password because I didn't need to set up an Enterprise account at all. All I needed to do was to set up a regular email account and follow the instructions he gave me. So I reluctantly did it (it didn't make sense that it could work right) and nothing has synched/reconciled properly ever since.  Am I correct in believing that many of my problems would disappear if  I had set up an Enterprise account?

You should be correct (there is no 100%...so all I can say is "should") in what you are thinking. However, an Enterprise account from your carrier will only be useful if your company also has the matching infrastructure in place. To use Enterprise accounts on a BB requires access to a BES (BlackBerry Enterprise Solution) server, hosted by your company. If they do not have BES in place, then you separately getting Enterprise from your carrier would be quite useless. But, if they do have BES, then integration with your device should indeed be much better.

Any email system can be given a web-facing portal. It can be BES, it can be OWA, it can be POP, it can be IMAP, and possibly others. Depending on which they have installed, the reconciliation and synchronization features available to you will change, in accordance with that KB I linked for you earlier. BES provides the maximum reconciliation and synchronization features, and others provide only subsets of that. Not knowing which specific portal they have faced to the internet, it is not possible to tell you a specific answer as to what you should expect.

Good luck and let us know!

New to the Community? Click here and also here for helpful guidance. Also please click here for additional helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button. Need a reference to BB10 OS/SR versions? Click here. Need a specific BB10 AutoLoader? Send me a private message.

...................................................... ......................................................
New Contributor

Hi and thank you again for staying wih me on this. Here is an email I received from my manager this morning.

Up until 2 weeks ago I had a Blackberry Curve and apparently the company was maintaining the Enterprise Server just for me. I didn't know that. So I just bought a new Blackberry - the 9810 Torch- because I like the keyboard and the older operating systgem. So here is the situation about the company servers described below. I have no intention of getting rid of my Torch.  Does this clarify any better for you to help me? Thanks again.

Hi J-

Your old blackberry was on our Enterprise server. At this point you are the only one in the whole company on the Enterprise server as a) no one is using Blackberrys anymore (at Atlantic) and b) all new phones including the newer Blackberry Models run on our Exchange server.

Exchange servers are the newer servers that companies are using.

He gave you the directions he did for your current phone so that he can shut down the Enterprise server and according to Dino those should absolutely work but he may need your phone to make it happen.

The alternative and best approach is to buy a newer phone (including a new blackberry if you are familiar with blackberry) that will work off the Exchange Server.

JAG
Hall of Famer III

Thank you. That is more information, but not quite enough. It would be a horribly bad implementation for the Exchange server itself to truly be facing the Internet...a separate portal (BES, OWA, IMAP, POP) is the proper configuration to use, keeping the actual Exchange Server safely segregated from the Internet, and using the portal as the only Internet-facing component. Many people often use the word "Exchange" when they actually mean OWA when they are referring to what truly faces the Internet from an Exchange environment. I recommend you ask your IT folks (very specifically) if indeed what faces the internet is OWA, POP, or IMAP.

As for BES, from that I must deduce that they have shut down BES and you can no longer use it. Hence, if they now face OWA, POP, or IMAP to the Internet, then your 9810 can use it, but limited to the functions previously discussed (no calendar, no contacts, and email reconciliation only in accordance with the KB I sent you earlier). The 9810 is not the newest BB technology.

BB10 devices would provide additional functionality, especially if they are also facing to the Internet ActiveSync (which can easily be done on an OWA platform). If they are doing that, then a BB10 device might well be able to have full email reconciliation plus synchronization of calendar and contacts. But, a legacy BB (as the 9810 is) cannot do that.

Good luck!