Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

My Device: Bold 9900
My Carrier: Rogers

My 9900 Nightmare with Rogers

Just wanted to let the rest of Canada know of the horrific service of Rogers.....I am sure you already know but here is the scoop.

As a long time Blackberry lover earlier this year my 8800 had the issues with the trackpad where it stopped working.  As we all know it was a known issue but with Rogers it was a "wow that doesn't happen" but we'll do an extra special favour and upgrade you to a 9900 (but of course I have to sign a new 3 year contract for that).  Thank you very much.....

Two months later on my shiny new 9900 the $ key fell off and literally days after that the device completely died.  Won't turn on, won't reload the software, just dead!    I tried everything that Rogers support asked me to do and I also checked with a few of my RIM employee friends. The verdict, I got the 1 in a million device with a hardware issue.   Oh well, seemed pretty simple and these things happen.  I called Rogers explained it all to them and their answer was "we'd be happy to send you a refurbished device".  Say what?  2 months into a 3 year agreement and I'm getting a refurbished device?   "there is nothing we can do" says Rogers.

Well you can imagine my discontent with this and after speaking with 5 different people at Rogers, nobody was willing to help me...... wow!  All I wanted was for someone to say" yes we will send you a new device."  I didn't even want an apology.  Hey it's technology, these things happen.  My Rogers account consisted of:   cell phone, home phone, internet, rocket hub, rocket stick, pvr rental, and VIP cable package.  My average bill was close to $400 a month...... but still they could not help me.  They don't have any ability to help me.  I know these guys are just barely surviving with wafer thin profits and blah, blah, blah.....please, it's called "doing the right thing"

"Well, I guess that makes it easy" I said "cancel ALL my services with Rogers and don't expect me to even rent a DVD from Rogers ever again....."  The agent responded "okay".  They then proceeded to try to scare me by telling me what all the cancellation fees would be.  I responded politely "no problem, just proceed"

This whole incident reinforces to me how the big telco's have just gotten too big and too arrogant.  Service is terrible, costs are rediculously high and we simply don't have enough choices.  It also got me thinking about if I should continue to be a loyal Blackberry guy or if I should be making the switch to iPhone or Android?  Are those people getting terrible service like I am?   I guess if Rogers hands are truly tied then that means it is RIM that is not backing it's product.  Hmmmmm......I wonder

Solutions: 6,349
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: My 9900 Nightmare with Rogers

bweber wrote:

Are those people getting terrible service like I am?   I guess if Rogers hands are truly tied then that means it is RIM that is not backing it's product.  Hmmmmm......I wonder

You're not alone. The big carriers really don't care any longer, and on rare occasions you'll get someone in a customer retention department that might soften the blow when they beat you up like that. You might call Rogers and ask for (if the have) the Customer Retention department.

Re: the remanufactured device... again, similar elsewhere, and your contract with Rogers probably backs up what happened... I think on Verizon here it's 30 days for replacement of the device with new, afterwards a remanufactured. Personally, I wouldn't be scared of that. I've had a couple before replaced under warranty with remanfactureds, and they worked well.

Good luck.

>> NEW! 10% discount on BlackBerry devices from ShopBlackBerry.com, including PRIV

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes
Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
New Contributor
My Carrier: Bell

I sympathize with you, bweber.  These things are unfortunate.  You may want to consider asking to speak to the manager or supervisor of customer relations and express your concerns to him/her.  Even escalate from there if need be.  I’ve found myself in a similar circumstance that was resolved to my satisfaction by speaking to someone higher up in the company.  Hope everything works out for you.

My Carrier: bell/Rogers

could be worse.

any other provider in canada the DOA period is 15 days... after that you don't have the option to get a refurbished replacement, the only option is sending your bb away for repair. demanding a manager or customer relations is only going to use up your time.

and there is rogers stores that do repair (you can search which stores do from the rogers website)... sent away for free and you have the option for a loaner phone blackberry until yours returns.

Highlighted
Contributor
My Device: 9900
My Carrier: Rogers

Same Rogers frustration.   Problem is as you point out, Bell is equally as bad. For every Rogers customer switching to bell for completely brutal service, there is one switching right back to Rogers for equally brutal service.   That is why the incumbents they wont let other carriers into the market (fighting to the end).

My issue came with my beautiful new 9900.  I was unaware that all those little cool apps, even if I wasn't using them or actually wanted to use them (like the GPS) such massive amounts of data.  I traveled for 1 week, and the 9900 sucked down 600$ of data without me knowing.   While I am only 1/2 way thru a full month on my 9900, I have consumed 30mb of data (in 15 days), instead of my normal 10mb of data in a month.      Sorry, says Rogers, it isn't them that loaded the apps up (who needs social feeds on their telephone anyway).  It was Rim that loaded them up, and besides, it is you that "used" them.   So 600$ later, i have deleted every possible application that can suck data. (rogers online store protects themselves, it cant be deleted, but i got most of them)