Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

My Blackberry 8100 is a total failure and completely unreliable!

Hello,

My name is Jerimi,

I was the proud awner of the 8100. But I got suckered into buying the first gen version as a "Test Consumer". Of course it had alot of problems. At first I loved it. It was nice to have all the functionality that the smart phones promise. I have several friends that have the same phone and the same generation of the phone that I have. They had rpoblems with theirs right away. ear piece stopped working. Half the lights on one stopped working on the querty pad. They qould complain to me and I would say " I love mine" No problems here. Well I spoke way too soon. Now I can only recieve half my calls if i am lucky. It will often just notify me of a voice mail rather than ringing in the first place. I get rpotocal errors almost every time I send a text or MMS. Of course I tried to contact my carrier and get this problem resolved but I was just given a blackberry support number instead. They were very nice I am glad to say. But not helpful in the least. Of course the warrenty only covers a phone that is still new in the box or something. Your almost guarenteed to be hosed if you use it at all I have discoverded. I signed a contract for two years for the RIM Blackberry service through T mobile just to get the deal on the phone. Big mistake. Now I have more than a year left on my contract and a phone that works more as a rolodex than a smart phone. At this point I am personally very very disappointed and would not ever purchase another RIM Device. I feel like consumers (myself included) have been taken for a test ride at our expense. Rather than RIM actually testing their products for reliablity anddurability themselves. They took the route of testing on us and charging us to do it.

Not a satified Blackberry owner. 

Contributor

Re: My Blackberry 8100 is a total failure and completely unreliable!

They took their strategy of testing out their product on the customer right out of the Microsoft playbook!
Contributor

I just discovered that if I twist on it jusat a little and apply some presure to just the right spot by the anttenna, I can get strong signals that work. Making my 8100 a 3 handed operation.

LOL! 

Contributor
My Device: 8100 Pearl

This is a good example on why you shouldn't drop your phone.

Also, your pearl has a antenna? Interesting....

Contributor

Well, if you want to get into detail as to where the antenna is.... It is under the cover at the bottom. Pop off the sides and pop off the little cover at the bottom and you can see it. Signal don't just magically come from the air you know. LOL!
Contributor
My Device: 8100 Pearl

And I wonder why your phone doesn't work....
Contributor

True that one should be careful not to drop their phone. And I am as careful as one an be. But here in the real world, phones are small and if being used propperly they are often carried and DROPPED. Everyone does it and RIM and other device manufactureres should realize that this is a reality no a mistake by one or two people. For the near $400.00 one should be able to drop it from time to time.

Thank you. 

Contributor

I only recently took it apart after realizing that I was on my own to try and fix it. No harm in taking apart an already faulty P.O.S. in my opinion. Plus people are far to reliant on companies to do things for them.  As you have tried to imply that I am the one at fault here, I am offended at your total disregard for a fellow consumer being taken advantage of. Dropped or not. Taken apart by me or not. This phone was a sub par device from the begining. As I said in earlier post. I loved my phone and defended it against others that had problems before mine started. Dont get me wrong. The higher end devices may be great. But the cheaper "Smart Phones" are not that great.