Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

New Contributor
My Device: Curve 9300
My Carrier: 3

My Blackberry deletes text messages that are more than a week old

I have a Curve 9300, and have recently noticed that I'm not able to read any text messages in my inbox that are more than 10 days old. Strangely, older messages still appear in my inbox, but they now look like draft messages rather than received messages, and when I open them they're now blank. I'm trying to retrieve a particular text message that I received on 20th December; it's in my inbox still but is now blank, as are all texts received on or before the 20th. I also can't find the option in my text message settings, to change when my Blackberry automatically deletes texts. I'd like to a) retrieve this text from the 20th, and b) change my settings so that in future texts aren't deleted until they're at least 30 days old. Can anyone help?

Thanks

Forums Veteran III
My Device: Z30 / Playbook

Re: My Blackberry deletes text messages that are more than a week old

See here:

http://btsc.webapps.blackberry.com/btsc/viewdocument.do?noCount=true&externalId=KB13093&sliceId=2&cm...

You can set it to keep forever.

My Device: Curve 9300
My Carrier: 3

Hi,

Thanks for your reply! I've found the menu option in the Messages section that allows me to change how long it keeps messages. However it was already set to delete messages older than 30 days - but has still been rendering text messages in my inbox blank after about 10 days. So I'm a bit mystified about how to change the settings so that it no longer blanks out my text messages! Also any thoughts about how I can retrieve this particular text message which now appears as blank?

Thanks again

C

Forums Veteran III
My Device: Z30 / Playbook

I'm not sure why the text messages are blank.  You can set the option to keep forever vs the current setting of 30 days.  You can try a battery pull to see if the messages appear like before, but no guarantees.  Blackberry protect also backup text messages.  Are you using that?  if not, the link for protect is in my signature. 

Also if you have a recent backup on your computer using the desktop manager, you can restore sms messages that way.

http://btsc.webapps.blackberry.com/btsc/viewdocument.do?externalId=KB10339&sliceId=2&cmd=displayKC&d...