Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

Solutions: 6,352
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: My Blackberry was stolen

Your former 9360 BBM contacts should restore to the new device when you've set the new device up with the old BBID, and you open BBM.

>> NEW! 10% discount on BlackBerry devices from ShopBlackBerry.com, including PRIV

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes
Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Contributor
My Device: Curve 9360
My Carrier: EE T-mobile

When i opened my bbm for the first time since the factory new, it did give me an option to restore contact list..

When i clicked on this, it then gave me options 'restore from another device' then from there there weren't any old backed up files only ones dated the same day..

The only restore I have done is from protect.. Am I missing something J?

My profile has set up again but only with one contact, the only one i had set (when i used the second BBID created).. 

Sorry, I honestly don't know what happened to them.

>> NEW! 10% discount on BlackBerry devices from ShopBlackBerry.com, including PRIV

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
Knowledge Base Updates
Contributor

Ok, no problem..Thanks anyway..

Do you think it's worth me starting again, wipe etc and restoring again? or does it not work that way? Can i re add information I've already stored from protect or does it only allow you to do it the once?..

I thought you already wiped your new 9360.

Yes, you can restore again from Protect.

Knowledge Base Updates
Contributor

Hi J

No, I made the mistake in blacklisting the 9360 before I remotely wiped via protect. I have had to wipe the new hand set in order to set up against 9360 blackberry ID to restore the rest of my info. Everything else has restored, contacts, texts, apps, MMS messages etc.

I wonder if it's because I did not configure my email address on the last handset?.. Does protect not save BBM contacts?

Amy

Highlighted

No, Protect doesn't save or backup your BBM contacts. The BBM contacts are synced and saved via the BBID. I know that may sound confusing, but for the BBM contacts on devices on OS7 (which the 9360 is OS7) those contacts, BBM Groups, etc., are reconnected to the new device once the same BBID is setup.

So, help me be clear. Your new 9360 now has the same, older BBID as the device previous. Is your BBM working at all, does it open? It just hasn't restored your old contacts?

Can you invite a new contact to BBM?

Knowledge Base Updates
Contributor

Morning J (so sorry if I have your head spinning!)..

Ok, that makes sense re protect..

You nearly have it :-) my phone that was stolen was a curve 9360. I am now using a bold 9780 which I believe is lower graded?.. Yes the bold now has the same BBID as the stolen curve. Yes my BBM is working, will allow people to add me as well as me invite them..

The only issue I seem to have is that has not restored my old contacts.

OK, What is your Operating System loaded to your 9780 device? Look at Options > Device > About, third line down beginning with a "v.6.0.x.xxx", What is yours?

Knowledge Base Updates
Contributor

Hi J

I am so sorry to give you the run around here but it looks like I'm using a bold 9790 not 9780 - I've got myself a little confused! Possibly from when i've been into a shop to see someone re the errors i've been having at first a little stressed..

All other info and problems/issues i have mentioned are correct.

Will this be the reason behind my bbm contacts not downloading to the new device?

The info you asked for is V7.1.0.714 (as per my 9790 device)..

I do apologise and once again appreciate your advice, expertise and assistance with this matter.

Regards

Amy