Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

Contributor
My Device: Curve 9360
My Carrier: EE T-mobile

My Blackberry was stolen

Hi there

My Blackberry curve 9360 with media card was stolen a couple of weeks ago, absolutely devastated is an understatement!..

My mobile network provider has blacklisted and blocked the phone.. however, i have tried on numerous occasions to remotely wipe the phone via protect but it keeps giving me the message 'command will be delivered next time your device is connected to a wireless network' - could this be because the phone has been blocked?

Also, what know happens with the pin, does it automatically delete? I can't bear the thought of someone using my BBM.

Please help settle my mind! :-(

Many thanks

Amy

Solutions: 6,349
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: My Blackberry was stolen

Aims87 wrote:

My mobile network provider has blacklisted and blocked the phone.. however, i have tried on numerous occasions to remotely wipe the phone via protect but it keeps giving me the message 'command will be delivered next time your device is connected to a wireless network' - could this be because the phone has been blocked?

Yes, Protect can't communicate with your BlackBerry once you have had the device SIM blocked and device blacklisted, or once the SIM is removed or the battery is dead.

Use Protect to locate or wipe and block the device FIRST.

Then call the carrier to have the SIM blocked and reported stolen.

The device PIN is no good for further use IF your mobile provider has blacklisted the device PIN. If they have not, another person can use the device once it's wiped and with a their own BlackBerryID.

>> NEW! 10% discount on BlackBerry devices from ShopBlackBerry.com, including PRIV

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes
Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Contributor

Thanks so much for your reply.

Do you think it's worth me contacting my network providing to have them open the phone up again to see if I can wipe that way or could that be dangerous than good? I have password set against my account allowing me to do this as the rightfull device owner.

As i have requested the command to wipe the device, presumably this will work regardless if they change the sim or charge batt? I know other chargers work in blackberrys (and obviously would need to be connected again to wireless etc)..

Can anything else be accessed on a blacklisted blackberry?? Just piece of mind really.

I am now using a blackberry 9780 so still happy with your products!

If the SIM card is changed by the thief or buyer of the device, you will not be able to communicate via Protect.

>> NEW! 10% discount on BlackBerry devices from ShopBlackBerry.com, including PRIV

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
Knowledge Base Updates
Contributor

Ok thank you, not what i wanted to hear..

I have files backed up via protect but stuck on how to get them onto new device. The only option it seems to give is back up files (not possible as i cannot connect to WIFI against original device) Where am i going wrong? The whole situation is very stressfull and upsetting which I'm sure you can appreciate.

Also, it says the device/pin are still active? Is this correct if the handset was locked and blacklisted by my network provider. If it's them i should be speaking with, please say.

Regards

Amy

Aims87 wrote:

I have files backed up via protect but stuck on how to get them onto new device. The only option it seems to give is back up files (not possible as i cannot connect to WIFI against original device) Where am i going wrong? The whole situation is very stressfull and upsetting which I'm sure you can appreciate.

On a new BlackBerry, once you set up Protect on the new device AND using the same BlackBerryID on the new device with Protect, you will be able to use Protect to restore from the backup.

Aims87 wrote:

Also, it says the device/pin are still active? Is this correct if the handset was locked and blacklisted by my network provider. If it's them i should be speaking with, please say.

If they haven't locked or blacklisted the previous device... that is the responsibility of your mobile provider.

Knowledge Base Updates
Contributor

Ah ok, thank you...

Last question (promise!)..

I've already set up a new BB ID, wasn't sure if i could or should use same ID for a stolen phone. Is there anyway I can move to same ID or will i need to delete ID created for new device and start again? Hope makes sense!

I'm so stressed!

Thanks again!

You should use the same BBID, if you want to have access to previously purchased apps from AppWorld and your previous BBM contacts and your Protect restore.

If you don't care about those things, you can use a new BBID.

If you want to use the old BBID on the new device now, after having setup the new BBID... you will need to perform a security wipe on the BlackBerry which returns it to factory new status and then setup all over again using the OLD BBID. Then you can restore from the previous Protect account backup.

Knowledge Base Updates
Contributor

ok.. What does the security wipe rid of? I have alot of media, photos, videos, music - will this all go? Just I know blackberry protect does not save this.

Also, once I've done this, is it easy even to add a new device to my old ID? I've had a look and cannot see anything.

Am i right in thinking when the thief has put a new sim into my stolen device (which I know they have) it will have asked them to sign into my BB ID? and if they don't or enter the incorrect password 10 times, an auto security wipe will be performed?

The security wipe removes all personal data, contacts, calendar, media etc., from the device memory. It does not wipe the media card however, but you can remove the media card just in case. The wipe basically returns the device to factory new.

Yes, it's easy... you just enter the BBID at your Settings > BlackBerryID.

No, the thief entering their BBID ten times wrong will not affect that device. IF you had a security password on the device and they entered the security password wrong ten times, that will perform a security wipe on the device.

Knowledge Base Updates