Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

Contributor
My Device: Bold 9780
My Carrier: T-Mobile

My Bold 9780 got water in yesterday

While doing a chore yesterday and listening to music on my BB Bold, some water must have gotten inside and it suddenly went off. It must have only been a small amount of water though because when I took it out of the cover I couldn't see any water.

I didn't realise it at the time and thought the battery went flat so went to charge it up and it wasn't charging at all - completely dead.

Then I looked at the back of the phone and saw that the small viewfinder was all steamed up inside so then realised water or moisture must have gotten in.

I've tried taking out the battery and putting a hairdryer to dry it out yesterday. Still no good. The steam on the viewfinder has now completely cleared and the water indicator sticker is white.

It's now 24 hours.

Any suggestions?

I've read that putting it into a sealed bad of uncooked rice and placing the bag in a warm or sunny location can do  the trick. I would have thought 24 hours would be enough to completely dry it out.

Thanks,

Anna

Elite I
My Device: Passport & PlayBook
My Carrier: T-Mobile USA

Re: My Bold 9780 got water in yesterday

When a Blackberry gets wet, the most important thing to do is remove the battery immediately.  The second most important thing to do is wait until the BlackBerry is fully dry before putting the battery back. If you did get water in your BlackBerry, it is ruined.

- Ira
Hall of Famer III
My Device: DTEK50 (AAI82), PRIV (AAI459), Z10/Z30/Q10 (10.3.2.2813), Playbook (2.1.0.1917)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

To add to the above post, see this FAQ:

Do exactly as it says, waiting the maximum amount of time recommended.

The only thing predictable about moisture intrusion into a BB is that the results will be unpredictable. Some BBs come back to life and are fine. Others are dead forever. Others still come back to life, only to fail a little bit later. There's no way to predict if it will survive or not.

Good luck!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!

New to the Community? Click here and also here for helpful guidance. Also please click here for additional helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button. Need a reference to BB10 OS/SR versions? Click here. Need a specific BB10 AutoLoader? Send me a private message.

...................................................... ......................................................
Contributor

I took my BB Bold to a local mobile phone repair shop this afternoon. They opened it all up but after a few hours still no joy. They said some power component is damaged so asked me to come back tomorrow. They're going to try to fix it maybe with new components if possible.

**bleep** - if I knew it had water damage from the beginning, I would never have tried to repeatedly charge the phone. Thought the battery went flat till I saw the water droplets inside of the camera viewfinder.

Am praying that it can be fixed somehow.

Thanks for advice.

Anna

Elite I

Be aware that water damage typically totals a phone. And even if you had been able to recover the device, the effects of the liquid exposure would shorten the device's life as corrosion sets in. Don't get taken by the repair shop and spend more than the device is worth. Just an FYI.
- Ira
Contributor

Well, phoned up the repair shop this evening and was told that my BB is not fixable. From what I could gather over the phone from a heavy Indian accent which I struggle to understand, some components are burnt.

He said he would take it to an engineer that he knows to have a look at it to see if there is some way to fix it but I'm anticipating the worst now and forming a plan to get a replacement BB.

Does anyone know where I can purchase another BB more cheaply in a good condition similar to my Bold 9780?

I got my BB Bold from CW for £350.

I don't think my network provider T-Mobile will cover an upgrade to that kind of model of a BB on my tariff.

Thanks,

Anna

Elite I

I would write off the BlackBerry. As I say, water damage is probably always more costly to repair than it's worth.

Check the buy-sell sections on the various forums, but be careful. Also, blackberryfaq.com has a good article on things to do and check when buying a used BlackBerry. The article refers to buying off ebay, the general info applies to any case.
- Ira
Highlighted
New Contributor
My Device: bold 9780
My Carrier: etisalat

put it in an unsealed container of rice (rice absorbs moisture) and leave it there for a month. i did this with my lg env3 after i droped it in a lake and completly killed it and it works perfectly now

Contributor

Went to the repair shop today and was told there was corrosion on the motherboard. The phone has been taken to an engineer somewhere in Vauxhall but I'm not holding my breath for a successful repair.

I guess you didn't plug your phone into the power socket after it dropped in a lake?

I repeatedly tried to charge mine up as didn't realise water got in and thought the battery went flat. I think that must have fried the circuits.