Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

Highlighted
New Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

My Pearl 8100 died suddenly, red light keeps flashing

Suddenly and unexpectedly my Blackberry Pearl 8100 went dead while I was on a call. Red light keeps flashing non-stop and no buttons are responding, screen black. Had just been fully recharged and had been working fine up to that moment. Has not responded to all the usual, removing and replacing battery etc. Seems software has been wiped. T-mobile UK suggested replacing Blackberry software (presumably having lost all my data) via Desktop Manager Application Loader but PC will not even recognise that Blackberry is connected to USB. Am now awaiting replacement device.

Any ideas / solutions? Anyone else experienced sudden unexpected death of Pearl?

Forums Advisor III
My Device: 8110, 8300, 8800, 8700, 9000

Re: My Pearl 8100 died suddenly, red light keeps flashing

Try this to put the software on device..

Open DTM - then application loader. on the first screen, connect the blackberry WITH THE BATTERY OUT.

Leave it for up to 3 mins till you see the pin number flash under connections.

Then press next and then replacement the battery.

The follow the steps found Here.

This of course will only work if you actually have the Device software installed to the computer as well.

To check if you do, open up desktop Manager - Help - About Desktop Manager - Click Device Software Tab.

In here you should see the software installed to the pc listed.

If not, go to http://na.blackberry.com/eng/support/do ... _sites.jsp to download the software specific for your carrier/device.

Failing all this, your carrier should have escalated the call to RIM to do a javaload over the phone with you before they authorised a replacement device. Oh well not to worry.

RIM do a javaload when the application loader won't recognise the device, with or without the battery in it.

Also make sure there is no other power going to usb devices and if a laptop, have it plugged into ac power.

Good luck and let us know how you go!

***************************************************************************************************
If your issue is resolved, put a checkmark in the green box that contains the resolution.
OR
If it was just/or also really helpful - Give it a Kudos.. Go on Mate.. Help the rest of the clueless blackberry user world find their answer too..
~Gday from Down Under~
New Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

Re: My Pearl 8100 died suddenly, red light keeps flashing

Thanks for that.

In the end just accepted the free replacement Pearl that was delivered to me at work the following day. Application loader wouldn't recognise the device and I couldn't face wasting another 23 minutes of my life phoning T-mobile UK again and selecting option 4 from the first 6 option menu followed by option 2 then option 3 etc. etc and then getting passed from one department to another. Individuals all very helpful and replacement arranged without hassle but whole process infuriating. Life is too short to go through all that again!

Moral of the story - back up your device. You never know what might happen next time you answer a call.