Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

Regular Contributor
My Device: Blackberry Storm 9530

Re: My Storm Review

stryd3r wrote:

Ok, let me address all the replies above.

Delete All

I had someone else tell me you can delete a bunch of messages by doing a shift-click type thing.  And this is what I have to say to that:

"I know I can delete multiple messages by highlighting and selecting. But have you tried deleting multiple screens of messages all at the same time? As soon as I try to scroll to the next screen the highlighting jumps around and I lose what I highlighted. Instead, it highlights an entirely new selection.

This is NOT a "delete all" feature, and is definitely NOT convenient.

Let's see, I have 150 messages (approximately 12 or 13 screens of messages) and wish to delete them all. Click the Menu button and select the Delete All option...

OR

Do it your way and highlight 12 to 13 screens of messages to delete them. Or try to highlight multiple screens of messages and have the selection jump around on you.

Which would you prefer?"

I will address your concerns the best I can.  I will reply between your questions/concerns vers posting in separate posts.

You can delete many many pages of stuff without a problem.   I just tried it with success.   Go to the first or last message in the list you want to delete.   If you need to go all the way to the top or bottom, click and hold the arrows at the bottom right of the screen, if you hold them down they will take you to the first or last message depending on which one you click.

From there select the first message you want to delete, and then while still holding your finger on that 1st message click or select the message right above or below that one.  Now those two are highlighted.  Now, you can select as many or few messages as you want to delete.  If you have pages to delete just swipe your finger up or down and scroll through your messages and you will see them all highlighting as your scroll. 

When you have finished selecting your message click the delete key.

To anwser your question, which would I perfer?   I like it either way..  since this style make the menus systems more powerful with less "shortcuts" I would say I would rather have it the way it is.

I know the simple way you're talking about, most all simple phones have it, and having used them and used this, I still pick this.  It's not that hard, and it's not complicated.

Add SMS Sender to Contacts

Ok, I see what you're getting at.  But there are cell phones a lot less complicated than this gadget where all I have to do is click on the Menu button and select an option to add or update the contact.  Again, a LOT easier.  Which would you prefer?  That long drawn out process you listed or a 2-click button/menu option?

Again, because this is more than just a phone, the menu system is more complex.  I understand what you're saying because I have used a phone with this style menu option, but given the phone is more than a phone and the way I suggested is as quick to do it as your option, if you learn how I don't see this as a problem.

You first suggestion was it couldn't be done, then when shown it could you fall on the but I want to do it in easy steps.   I understand, but given this device is much more than a phone and more powerful than normal, I will take the few extra steps in turn for a quick easy to use 'phone'.

Typing

There's just no way you can convince me that I can type faster on the Storm than on a regular cell phone with T9.  The screen doesn't respond to clicking as fast as I can type on it.  Even with word correction on it still can't keep up with my fingers the way a button can.

I never said it could or would...  I said that given time you can learn to type on this and send out emails quick and easy.   You can't think you will be able to type the same on a touch screen as you would on a keyboard.   That just isn't a fair way to look at it.  A keyboard will always be easier to type with, but that doesn't mean there is anything wrong with the touch screen keyboard.

Like I said before, it took some learning, but I type nicely on the Storm now.  It just takes getting used to, that's all.

Also, in terms of accuracy, I know how to type, very fast.  The Qwerty keyboard on the Storm is designed so that you use the same hands for typing letters on it that you would on a normal computer keyboard.  The screen still doesn't always pick up my letters, especially if I have double letters in a word and click the letter twice.  I have to wait much longer on the screen to click a letter twice than I do on a regular cell phone.  And even cell phones have a button you can use to move a space to type the next letter.  Clicking two buttons on a cell phone to type a double letter is faster than clicking the same letter twice on the Storm keyboard.

The Storm's keyboard still has some stuff to get worked out.  I'm not saying that these issues won't be fixed, but right now it's extremely annoying and slow to use.

It's annoying because it's new and slow to us because you're not giving it a chance AND you expect it to act like a real keyboard.   Just because it doesn't act like a regular keyboard doesn't mean it's broke.   It's just new.

Have you ever typed on an iPhone or any other touch screen device so you can compare?   It's not a fault, it's just new to you and you're expecting too much since you expect to type at "70 words" a minute like a regular keyboard.

GPS

I've seen this be an issue of topics in several forums.  Some say they can't get it working with Google Maps and some say they can.  I definitely can get it working with VZNavigator and with BBMaps.  But it will not work with Google Maps for anything.  I've tried, I've contacted Verizon technical support several times, I've tried again... it just won't work.  Kudos if you can get it working.

I don't know what to say, I didn't do anything special other than change my GPS services to location on.  I think it's set to E911 only by default.  Maybe that is how your is set which is why it isn't working.  Give that a try and see if it helps.

Functionality Sacrificed

Yes it has been. As I mentioned in the first paragraph of my review, this is not a review of all the neat things the Storm can do.  It's a gadget and it does a lot of nifty things.  But to sacrifice ease-of-calling usage is unacceptable to me.  I've mentioned all the issues I've had while making phone calls, and those are just not something I expect from a phone.  I've been using this thing diligently, have wiped it a few times and have the .83 OS on it.  The phone functionality is simply not there.  It doesn't work well as a phone.  It does work well as a gadget with nifty things on it.

I use it everyday, as I did my other phone before I got the Storm.  My phone isn't one for emergencies or just for fun, I use it everyday for work.  Contacts, calls, appointments, tasks, money management, you name it.   I also use it for fun, music and web, video through the day too in my down time.

I can't understand why you would think this phone doesn't work as it should. Glitches yes, but nothing that stops me from getting my job done.  I own and run an Answering Service and I am on the phone ALL day.  I just for the life of me can't understand why people like yourself think this phone isn't ready for 'prime time'.

I know there is a learning curve with any phone.  But there are simply things that are built into other phones in terms of convenience that I cannot see any reason for a more complex device like the Storm not having.  It's preposterous.  Why go through gymnastics for the sake of a learning curve when the device can have that convenience built in with a few menu options?  Again, that's simply unacceptable.

It's not gymnactics..  it's learning a new device.   Sure you can get a phone with point and click options for quick reference, but then when you want it to do something else, you're stuck.    If you use it the way they designed it, then you can see the power of all the options they give you.  If you're not willing to get past this then you won't ever like this phone or a Blackberry.

Remember, I'm not reviewing the techy stuff in the Storm, I'm reviewing the phone functionality and convenience that other, much less techy and less expensive cell phones already have built-in that this device has no reason for lacking.

From the sound of it, you're wanting a simple phone that does a few things other than being a phone.  For that, you should return this device and get something you are used to.   I feel though, you will regret it as this phone, RIM and Blackberried in general are powerful devices that can make life easier if given the time to learn how they operate, why they operate in a certain way and the power you get from the device.

Is there room for improvements?  Sure, but you can't expect this or any device to work for everyone.   Again, I hope you find what you're looking for, but to me it sounds like you've already made up your mind that you don't like things that won't change about this phone.  So save yourself the time and trouble and go get the phone you would rather have.

Good luck!

Jamie

Message Edited by stryd3r on 12-20-2008 01:43 PM

********************************************************************************************************
In order to help the next person with the same problem, please mark the post that solved your problem if was solved.

If I or another user have successfully helped you with an issue, please click "kudos" in their post to thank them.
Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

[ Edited ]

Wow you totally miss the point.  You say the menu system is powerful.  What makes it powerful?  Simplicity is almost always more powerful and this just isn't simple at all.  Your description of how to select all messages (which still doesn't work on my device by the way) is a lot more complicated than "click menu, select delete all".  Simplicity at it's finest.  Yet you would prefer to do the finger gymnastics.  Perhaps what makes it more powerful is that your fingers are getting more exercise.

Yes, my GPS settings are set to Location On.  I am actually a power user, a 10-year Systems Administrator and Network Engineer.  I figured out how to do that all by myself before I called technical support... several times... during which they said they would call me back with an answer... and never did.

Typing?  It may be ok for you to type with such limited speed, but it's not ok for me.  Text messaging is a HUGE thing among most people today.  I want to be able to get that message out with quickness, not have to wait so long between letters in order to click.

And I'm not sure how you're so dismissive of the phone functionality.  I shouldn't have to worry about personal conversations going on speaker at an inconvenient time so other people can hear.  I shouldn't have to worry about accidentally putting the person on mute, or having the thing flash me over to another line... all because my face touched the screen too hard.  You might say you use the phone a lot, but I can't see how you can use it as much as you say you do and still not have compaints.  I mean, the whole menu goes to landscape even when I have it to my ear (vertically, and so should be in portrait mode) and it just flips itself on speaker and doesn't flip back to portrait or give me the option to take it off speaker.  How can you say these things aren't annoying unless you really haven't used it as much as you say you do?

I appreciate all the other functions of the Blackberry, and I stated such.  You make it sound like I'm unaccustomed to using such a "powerful" device and that I should just use a regular phone since it's simpler.   I was probably one of the first people to use DVD Fab to rip a movie for use on the device.  300 - it worked great, looked great, sounded great.  It was amazing.  The music plays great and my Motorola stereo bluetooth headset sounds great with the player in the device.  The browser is extremely convenient - the most "browserlike" experience I've seen in a device - VERY nice!

And if that's all I used this thing for I would be the happiest person in the world.  But the reality is that the device has a lot of issues that make it extremely inconvenient for everyday use.  Period.  I can use an iPod touch for most of these things if I really wanted.  The fact of the matter is that the device is great for multimedia experience and for surfing and email and docs.  All the other reviews written have expressed this, and I did not disagree with them.  However, when judging the device by it's functionality as a phone there's no denying that it's lacking.  And in the end, yes, simpler phones beat it out for that.

I probably use the device for more things than you do because I've sought to integrate it with my work life (obviously one more technical than yours) as well as my personal life (which I guess entails talking to people more frequently than yours).  I have had it since it was released - day1 - purchased in the Verizon store early in the morning.  I have less than a week left until I can return it.  I have given it a chance and it has only encumbered me and embarrassed me.  And for you to assume I haven't attempted to acclimate to the experience before posting here is almost insulting.

You obviously have a different experience than I do.  Unfortunately, I have read about the very issues I disussed in my review in several different forums, seeking answers to the issues.  I've rebuilt the software on the device several times.  And the issues I've reviewed remain.  I need something functional NOW, and if that means purchasing multiple devices to get the neat things the Storm offers and still maintain phone functionality then perhaps that is the best way to go for me.  I'm glad you're happy with your device, but if these issues didn't exist then other posts about the same thing wouldn't proliferate across the Internet the way they have.

Glad you're happy with your device!  I'm still returning mine before the last couple days run out for me to do so...

Message Edited by stryd3r on 12-20-2008 05:19 PM
Regular Contributor

[ Edited ]

I didn't miss the point, I believe you just didn't see my point, but that's ok.   In the next day or so I will post a video on how to delete several emails or several hundred emails...  I will show you how easy it is vers beat it to death in the forum.

I agree, sometime simple is better, but the problem you have is when the "company" in this case RIM thinks simple and only allows for few quick options then you the user can't expand and fully use the OS.

WOW, you were able to do that all by yourself?   As a System Engineer you should know new technology.  BTW, I am a graduate of NCSU, Class of 89.   As one Engineer, (Computer Engineer) to another..  get over yourself.   What your job title is means nothing..  Some of my classmates and co workers are some of the dumbest/smartest people in the world.  Job title and Degree means much of nothing...

You're device is either defective or it's not turned on.  There are too many people that have Nav4All, GoogleMaps and BBmaps working,  it's something on your end, not Verizons.   Try to call into one of those 'smart' guys to get it figured out.

Typing isn't so limited you can't use it..  It's just not as fast as a keyboard.   Either get over it or move on.   A touchscreen isn't going to be as fast as a keyboard, EVERYONE should know that.

I agree that the fact that you can't lock the phone while on a call, or the speakerphone and other buttons are awkward but it's new, give them a chance to fix it.  RIM is known for fixing things.  They are NOT a fly by the night company that will leave anyone hanging.

I use the phone for business more than you could ever imagiage.  Do you own your own company?   I do.   Are you on the phone for a living?  I am.   I use my phone each and everyday with my company.   I talk to my clients and handle everything through my phone.  I don't know how much more 'work' life you want me to use it for.  It doesn't matter what you believe or not, just know that I use this phone and my company depends on it.

I too have had the phone since day one, big deal..   If anything that should show you how Verizon and RIM will take care of these issues.   There has been one release already with another one close behind.   Can't you see that Verizon and RIM will take care of their users?

You want us to believe your a 10 year veteran and a front runner with technology, and yet you can't see that most of the things you have mentioned will be fixed with each new OS release?  This phone has been out for less than a month, did you read the reviews when the iPhone came out?!?

Also, if you're up to date on things like you said you were, you would know that you have until January 15th to return it, and not a few days like you claim.   Read Verizon's return policy here: Policy

Hey, if you're not happy with the phone, then return it.  I only offered my views and tips to help you out.  You seemed to get bent out of shape.   The phone works for me, and works well.  .83 is many times better than .65 and it will only keep getting better.   I use it for my company each and everyday.   It's new technology so I understand there will be a learning curve and some things won't work at first.   Somethings won't work the way I want them to, but I can learn a new way and know that there is always more than ONE way to do something.

I am done with this thread as I don't really want to fight about the phone.  I like it, you don't.  Return it and make yourself happy.

Jamie

Message Edited by Jamieinnh on 12-20-2008 06:12 PM
********************************************************************************************************
In order to help the next person with the same problem, please mark the post that solved your problem if was solved.

If I or another user have successfully helped you with an issue, please click "kudos" in their post to thank them.
Regular Contributor

Deleting several emails at once:  Video

Jamie

Contributor

lmao  Now that was entertaining.  I never said I had a degree.  Fortunately, I have actual real-life corporate experience.  And yes, I have owned my own business and now I own another one.  Your dumb "smart" people are the reason I get consulted over companies hiring people with degrees.  I actually have proven experience in my field working with Fortune 500 companies in their highly-avialable production environments.  Your degree is what means nothing to me.

You still haven't convinced me of anything.  You keep saying that the device is more powerful and that simple menus don't allow for unlocking the device's full potential.  But you fail to give any examples.  How in the world is Delete All going to hinder the full "power" of the OS?  Can you really answer that?  You haven't yet...

It's great that you took the time to put that video out here.  Mine still isn't doing what's demonstrated.  But at least we know you know how to post videos.

And just because some users can use Google Maps successfully doesn't mean it works for everyone.  I did call Verizon's "smart" guys, several times, and was told they would call me back when they got an answer for me on how to fix it.  That was two weeks ago and again a week ago.  Still no call-back.  So are you the "smart" guy that can fix GPS in Google Maps for me?

And yes, I've waited through 2 OS releases now - one leaked at this point of course.  The phone stuff still isn't fixed.  It's a pretty basic thing to ask for.  They've been more concerned with speeding things up than actually making the thing work.  And you think I didn't wait...  lol  -wink-  You so funny...

I'm not bent yet, but I can get there... wanna see?  lol  None of the points you have made have fixed any of the problems on my Storm.  None of them.  The .83 OS has fixed what?  Camera stuff, browser stuff, multimedia stuff... everything BUT the phone!  Come on.  They have waited for over a month now to get around to making the phone work right, and I should wait even LONGER?  Again, you so funny...

It's nice to know I have till Jan15th to return the thing.  Last time I talked to Verizon (2 days ago) they told me I had till the 25th.  Thanks for clarifying THAT at least.  Big help.

And again, I'm glad you're so happy with your device.  Perhaps YOU can get Verizon and RIM working on the issues with my Storm.  In the meantime, it's still simply unreasonable to produce a faulty device that people pay so much for and then say, "Hold on for a while till we can actually make it work."  Thanks for your time and input though.  It's been a hoot!

Regular Contributor

stryd3r wrote:

It's great that you took the time to put that video out here.  Mine still isn't doing what's demonstrated.  But at least we know you know how to post videos.

This tells me all I need to know.  If you can't get a simple task like this to work on your phone, then you really need to return it for something else.

Good luck with your search!

Jamie

Highlighted
Contributor

Well, I reloaded the .83 OS and kept trying what you said.  Finally got it to swipe multiple screens... woo-hoo!  Now if only they would add the Delete All menu option.  That would be so much easier!

Interestingly enough, my like or dislike of the Blackberry isn't dependent on the ability to delete several messages all at once (which I thought I had made clear), but at least we know it can be done with some finger gymnastics...

Regular Contributor

[ Edited ]

Reloading the OS had nothing to do with this feature since it was present in .65, however I am glad you finally figured it out. It's not as hard as you say or are making it out to be. It works like a charm.

If you want an easier point and click delete and are deleting messages prior of a certain date then click the date tab in between the messages and then click the BB button and select Delete Prior.

This is one of several things that you say you don't like about this device, so it's one of those many that would cause you to return it. You state you can't use it in your daily work life, and yet others like myself use it every day without a problem. If I had to guess, I would say you're new to this device, new to Blackberry and the learning curve is killing you.

You seem like me, impatient and want it now. I was just like that with this phone, and then I took a weekend, spent the time to go over the forums, the phone and learn it and it has since been my right hand. That is why I kept telling you to wait it out until the trial period was over. Does the phone still have faults with .83, yes but the phone is improving by leaks and bounds with every release. I am should you can see that.

Of the features/complaints you have most all of them will be fixed with software fixes. Some of them will never be fixed unless a 3rd party app comes out. Call Recording... The way the handset is held when talking.. WiFi... Typing on a touchscreen...

You have to decide which of the items that you know won't be 'fixed' you can live with and which ones you can't, and then make your decision. No phone will be perfect to all, but that doesn't mean this phone doesn't work, work well and can be use for business each and every day because I know it can.

Again, good luck with your search, but since you have until the 15th, why don't you stick it out and ask for help in the forums. I believe you will come to love this phone if you give it a chance. I did and I love it.

Merry Christmas,
Jamie

Message Edited by Jamieinnh on 12-21-2008 12:23 PM

Contributor

Again, I don't feel it unreasonable when I purchase a phone that I expect the phone to function without so many of the problems I've had.  It has nothing to do with "wanting it now".  It has to do with the fact that the phone functionality was poorly designed before it was released to the public.  I would have been fine if the video stuff wasn't all that great, or the browser lagged just a little, or any of the other features that keep getting updated in the OS weren't updated for a while.

I can't use the device as a PHONE without worrying about being embarrassed in some way by touching the wrong button with my face.  I shouldn't have to worry about that!  Not only that but the microphone doesn't even allow a proper 2-way conversation.  People can't hear me properly, even with all the volume all the way up on my device, unless I move the thing down to my mouth and talk directly into it, during which time I cannot hear anything that the other person is saying or doing or any background on their end because the speaker on my device is so far away from my ear then.

Why do you find it so unreasonable for me to expect a phone to function properly?  That simply amazes me.  You've argued that the Storm is a better device... for WHAT reason?  Your arguments include:

1. The device is more "powerful" because it doesn't include simple menu options. You have yet to prove to me how adding simple menu options would make the device less "powerful".

2. The device is better because it has features that will be fixed... some time in the future... possibly.  How does this help me?!  You make it seem like since I expect a phone feature in a phone to work that I'm somehow impatient and unreasonable for this expectation.

3. And my personal favorite... The device is better because I should just get used to things NOT being as good as they should be, like YOU did.  How in the world is that a legitimate argument?!

The problems I've had with the phone functionality in the Storm are simply unacceptable from a phone, that's really all there is to it.  I was just on another call this morning where the thing flashed over to another line in the middle of a conference call.  But you think I should just get used to that, like you did, or find some workaround (more gymnastics) until a fix is released.  It's a PHONE!  The PHONE should work!!!  Why oh why oh why do you think that is SO unreasonable?!

I simply don't understand... and it's frustrating, because you seem to be intelligent.  I think, and it's possible, that you're SO intelligent that simplicity is merely lost on you.  Some smart people just can't see how simple things can actually be BETTER sometimes.  And maybe that's just where you are.

Yes, in a round-about way, that's meant to be a compliment... not a jab.  Seriously.

Regular Contributor

Hey, here is a app that was just posted in the forums that will help you with one of the problems you're having.

http://www.cellavant.com/TalkLock/

Jamie