Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

New Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

My Storms screen cutsout on two different phones

Hi,

I took my first Storm back to the shop due to this fault but it also happens on my new phone.

The screen will randomly cut out and go black whilst I am trying to use it, this can happen during a call, browsing the web or in the middle of any application.  If I am in the middle of a call the other person will be disconnected.

The screen goes black and unresponsive, flipping the phone from portrait to landscape will wake it back up momentarily only for it to cut out again.  This can lead to 20 seconds or so of constant flipping.

I cannot keep the phone if this will be a constant problem.

A colleague also has a Storm and has not had any screen problems.

Regular Contributor
My Device: Blackberry Storm

Re: My Storms screen cutsout on two different phones

Sorry to hear that.  Perhaps you went to switch the phone and accidentally brought back the old one.  I know it sounds dumb, but I've seen people do some strange things...myself included.
New Contributor

Re: My Storms screen cuts out on two different phones

Doubt they gave you your old phone back.  I'm having the same exact problem, almost like the phone is over heating and needs to cool down before working again.

I use to have the clear rubber cover on the phone thinking that was causing the heat to build up but since removing it the problem seems to be much much worse.

It started happening after a long drive using the vz navigator program.  The phone and screen was on for the full 2 hour drive and was VERY warm to the touch when I went to get out of the car.  That was yesterday and since then the phone has locked up (screen goes blank and the 4 functions keys all light up temporarily for about 30 seconds) 9 or 10 times at least today.

Doesn't matter if I'm texting, using the navigator or what.  It usually takes about 2-3 minutes before the phone can be used again.  The longer I let it sit, the longer I can go without an issue.  Hence why I think it's a overheating thing?

Is there anyone on this site that worked on or has working knowledge of this phone to tell me if what I'm/we're experiencing is overheating?  Is there a way to prevent this from happening?

I've done plenty of soft resets and turning the phone on and off.  I'm waiting to get back home before attempting a hard reset.  Have NOT installed any software other than updating to a newer version of yahoo messenger.  Have deleted the older version of yahoo messenger and the visual voicemail (won't pay for the extra service so didn't see the point of having it on the phone).

Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated.

New Contributor

Re: My Storms screen cuts out on two different phones

First reply was the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard - besides, the blackberry button didnt work (!) on the first phone.

"Doesn't matter if I'm texting, using the navigator or what.  It usually takes about 2-3 minutes before the phone can be used again.  The longer I let it sit, the longer I can go without an issue.  Hence why I think it's a overheating thing?"

My problem only lasts 30 seconds at most, not sure if it's related to heating but tomorrow I'll carry it around in my jacket instead of my trouser pockets see if that helps.

The lack of response from RIM is worrying!

Re: My Storms screen cutout on two different phones

I've had exactly the same issue. Random black, blank screens which usually appear when texting, selecting contacts or changing applications. I've been advised to update the software from RIM by my service provider, but the phone is running the latest version. Very disappointing.
Regular Contributor

Re: My Storms screen cutout on two different phones

Maybe it's an application conflict. Have you tried deleting applications that you've added to see if there's one causing the problem?
New Contributor

OK!  I think that I have figured this out. I too am on my second blackberry since February for the same reason. I bought a cute little skin to cover and protect my little Blackberry when infact I think it is causing my phone to OVERHEAT, which causes my phone to go to a black screen, then white with a little clock.  About 2 minutes later my phone starts up and it is ok.  This happens between 3 and 8 times per day.  I am on my phone a lot emailing, texting, talking, etc.  I thought a few times my phone felt warm on the back where the the battery is. Today I went to see a good friend of mine who works for Verizon and asked if maybe my phone is overheating due to the skin.  He said he thought I was on to something.  Today I wasn't on my phone much at all and it didn't shut off.  To make a long story short, the more you are using the phone with the skin on, the more it will overheat.  TAKE THE SKIN OFF AN GET A HOLSTER.  I will not use the skin tomorrow at all and play with my phone all day to test my theory.  And...P.S. .....why should we as the consumers have to figure this out.  Verizon and Blackberry sell these items to us!  Shouldn't they work well with our phones?????
Highlighted
My Device: Storm 9550
My Carrier: BTC

I have the exact problem with mines, but i took of my battery cover and it seem to stop as long as after I finish use it I locks my screen. But I would try using without the cover to to see if that could be part of the problem to .