Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

New Contributor
My Device: Torch
My Carrier: Mobinil

My battery won't charge at all

I bought a brand new battery, and left it to charge overnight, when I woke up, the battery icon was still red with a plug logo on it (which insures me that it's charging) I thought the battery was messed up, so I returned it and took another one, but again, it's been in the charger for 2 hours straight now, and the battery icon is still red with the plug icon on it. Please help, I can't walk around with my charger everywhere, worried that once I take it out, it shuts off.
Solutions: 6,419
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: My battery won't charge at all

Leave the device to charge 2-3 hours, and then, still connected to the charging cable, remove the the battery from the device a few seconds and reinsert it. If it boots--leave it to charge to 100% (check Options > Status for the percentage). If it doesn't reboot on the first attempt, leave it several more hours. I've had one charge for two days before it came back to life after an extreme battery depletion. Every 3-4 hours, with the device still connected to the charger, you can remove and replace the battery to see if it reboots.

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes
Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Elite I
My Device: BlackBerry Z10
My Carrier: Telus

Hi there,

It sounds to my like your phone isn't able to charge the battery for some reason, which would suggest a likely hardware issue. Is the phone still under warranty? If so, I would take it in for service.

One other question - is the new battery an official BlackBerry battery? Or is it another type? The reason I ask is that not all batteries are made equal and if it's not an actual BlackBerry battery, it might not have been programmed correctly and thus that could impact the ability of the phone to charge the battery.

If the battery is a real BlackBerry battery and the phone is still under warranty, I would take it into your carrier.

If you want to thank someone for their comment, do so by clicking the Thumbs Up icon.

If your issue is resolved, don't forget to click the Solution button on the resolution!

Solutions: 6,419
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

I've had the same thing happen to me, even on a brand new battery. Once the battery might be deeply drained, or the device itself, it can take a while for the first charge, and rebooting the device WHILE still connected to the charger might all that is needed for the first reboot on the newly charged battery.

Then agai, Krypto could be right , bad hardware, but I wouldn't bet on that so early.

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes
Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Elite I

Good point JSanders! I was going to suggest that if it had just been the one battery, but because it happened to two different ones, I didn't think that was the case. But it's definitely worth checking regardless. Smiley Happy

If you want to thank someone for their comment, do so by clicking the Thumbs Up icon.

If your issue is resolved, don't forget to click the Solution button on the resolution!

New Contributor

I can never tell if it's an original battery or not, I bought it from a mobile store, and they aren't always very honest, they told me it was original, I'm just hoping they're truthful.
Elite I

Well, try what JSanders suggested. If that doesn't work, let us know.

New Contributor

The thing is, last time I removed my battery, (the first one I bought) all I got was a black screen, with the battery icon in the center. For hours, and it wouldn't open at all, I had to exchange batteries with my friend who also has a torch just for it to start, and I'm sure th problem isn't my phone, cause I just got it checked, but your suggestion is worth the try. Thank you so much.
Elite I

If your friend also has a Torch, see if their phone can charge the battery... that will actually be a good way to tell if the problem is the battery. Smiley Happy

New Contributor

I tried the thing you told me about, and then I fell asleep the battery is till at red and at 2%, what if the problem isn't the battery, what do you think it might be? Do you think I should try charging my phone using the USB cable?