Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

New Contributor
My Device: Blackberry torch
My Carrier: Mobinil

My blackberry torch keeps freezing

My blackberry torch suddenly keeps freezing and this turning clock keeps appearing constantly. This causes the battery to suddenly drain out to the extent that i have to charge the phone 5 or 6 times a day. I can't move without a charger. In addition when the phone rings it freezes and i can't answer the phone and again this turning clock appears. Please help! Is the phone going to ever work again or should i get a new one???
Hall of Famer III
My Device: PRIV (6.0.1/AAF518), Z10/Z30/Q10 (10.3.2.2813), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Re: My blackberry torch keeps freezing

Hi and Welcome to the Community!

I recommend that you attempt to boot into Safe Mode:

• KB17877 How to start a BlackBerry smartphone in Safe Mode

It may take you multiple attempts to get the ESC key sequence (press/release/hold) correct, so be patient. When successfully into Safe Mode, think carefully...what happened just before this behavior started? A new app? An update? A Theme? Something else? Think carefully as the smallest change could be causal...and attempt to undo whatever that was.

It is also possible that your battery or BB has experienced a problem...to test, this sequence is needed:

1. Obtain a known good and already fully charged additional battery...use it in your BB and see what happens
  2. Obtain access to a known good and identical BB...use your battery in it and see what happens

The results of this will indicate if it's your BB or your battery that has the problem.

Good luck and let us know!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!

New to the Community? Click here and also here for helpful guidance. Also please click here for additional helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button. Need a reference to BB10 OS/SR versions? Click here. Need a specific BB10 AutoLoader? Send me a private message.

...................................................... ......................................................
New Contributor

Thanks for your response. I am currently trying the first solution you suggested of the Safe Mode. My question is how can I undo whatever was done. I.e. if this problem occured after an update, how can i undo this update in safe mode?
Hall of Famer III
My Device: PRIV (6.0.1/AAF518), Z10/Z30/Q10 (10.3.2.2813), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)

You have to know what the update was. If it was an app, remove the App. If it was the OS, you need to know what OS was on your device before, and then install that OS to your BB. Once you know what is applicable, we can give you proper instructs.

Good luck!

New to the Community? Click here and also here for helpful guidance. Also please click here for additional helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button. Need a reference to BB10 OS/SR versions? Click here. Need a specific BB10 AutoLoader? Send me a private message.

...................................................... ......................................................
New Contributor

I had updated facebook then updated whatsapp then the freezing and battery problem had happened. Should I remove both of these applications? If yes, does that mean I can no longer have both of these applications on my phone or should I delete them and reinstall them while in safe mode?
Hall of Famer III

You should remove them both, then start up your BB in normal mode and see what happens. If things are stable, then try installing just one of them. If things then remain stable, try installing the other. You will need to wait long enough between each step so as to be sure that the behavior does not re-appear---and only you can properly judge how long is "long enough".

If things remain unstable with both removed, then it's likely that something has corrupted your OS, and you'd need to move to remedies that attempt to repair that.

New Contributor

My phone appears to be stable in safe mode with both applications present..is it ok to leave it in safe mode? If not, I'll try the solution you suggested but please let me know if it is ok to leave it in safe mode.
Thanks
Hall of Famer III

No...Safe Mode is a diagnostic. What it does is prevent 3rd party and add-on apps from auto-launching. What it means is that those are likely causal to your problems, and you should remove them...you can consider doing so one at a time, then rebooting into normal mode and seeing if the problems are cured. If not, then you continue removing things until the problems are cured. Then you consider re-installing one at a time. With luck, it's merely a matter of a bad install that will be cured by this. If you are not so lucky, then more drastic measures may be needed.

Good luck!

New Contributor

Thanks for your reply but I'm sorry I don't understand, will leaving my phone on safe mode cause it any harm? If yes, what will it cause it?
Highlighted
Hall of Famer III

It won't cause it any harm, it just won't run normally. None of your automatically-running 3rd party or add-on apps will run. Many other things might not run either. So, it won't harm anything, it just won't feel normal to you. I honestly don't know all of the things that won't run...Safe Mode is not intended for normal usage, but only for diagnostics.

But if you are OK with that, then I suppose there's no harm. Just be aware that if you do run either of the apps that seemed to be the problem, then even in Safe Mode the problem will probably return.

Good luck!