Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

Re: My list of reasons why the Storm sucks... check back for updates

sounds like you need to calm down before you stroke out.

I just got my phone today, I am smart enough to know not to go to the store and buy it, I ordered mine online. Phone works great, did the update thing, no issues at all. If I nit picked everything to death like you are trying to do I would not have anything, not even my wife.

seriously tho, love this phone, been sending emails with it all day... no issues.

Contributor
My Device: Blackberry Storm

The OS is definitely a step behind the iphone and curve in terms of instant reaction to user input. Granted, the delay is less than a second but it is definitely noticeable when trying to rapidly navigate to a certain app. It's not enough to have me curse the Storm and all who designed it, but it is something I would like to see fixed in the near future. My accelerometer works beautifully after removing VZ Nav. It responds within 1 second and seems more 'intelligent.' I would like to be able to use VZ Nav so hopefully I can reinstall it after the issue is resolved.
Visitor

[ Edited ]

Hi All,

I am an experienced Blackberry (8830 World Phone) user and I really was excited to hear I'd get a new Storm. I've had it for about a week and my excitement has dampened a lot. I think I want my old World Phone back.

I ran the update and am currently running:

v4.7.0.75 / platform 4.0.0.94

There are some things I really like in the Storm.

1. Browsing is much improved.

2. A genuine GPS nav system is built-in and works reasonably well (the one time I relyed on it, it worked as expected).

3. The picture display is superior. It works well in all lighting situations. I prefer using gestures with the touch screen over using the old trackball.

4. Camera. It was the biggest thing missing from my 8830, and the one in this camera is pretty cool, with zoom, real bright flash and a shutter button in a place where you'd expect to find one.

Now the not so good

1. The keyboard feature is essentially non-functional. I am up to 1 character per second with an error rate of about 1 out of 10 characters. This is simply awful. I used to type about a word every second or second and a half with basically 100% accuracy. This is a significant improvement over where I was last week, but I think I have hit the knee of the curve in speed. I think the only way to fix this is to have a slide out keyboard when in landscape mode. I also hate how little screen room I have when typing in landscape (the only practical mode from my perspective). There is no way I could have made this posting using the Storm.

2. Marking text for copy and paste is really bad. I loved my trackball and press to mark on the legacy BB. I mark text all the time. This is a critical functionality for me. I can't imagine any CEO type like me finding this acceptable. The dual touch method is unacceptable. It also does not allow for long passages to be marked. Face it. This just does not work right now.

3. Answering the phone does not always work. This is an amazing problem for a device that is supposed to be a phone first. It appears that when the device is set down on a table, it reverts to landscape mode. When you pick it up to accept a call, it reworks the screen to support portrait mode. I believe that it is so busy changing from one to the other, that it does not always respond to the "Answer" button on the screen. I seem to have more success pressing the hard answer button on the phone.

4. Battery life. Not too surprising, but the battery life is about 1/2 of what it was with my prior 8830.

I have not yet made the decision to dump this device yet...but I am close. I am very dissappointed though. IMHO, this device does not work well enough yet for production release.

-Arjen Sundman, President, Amfit Inc.

Message Edited by ludiekman on 12-16-2008 03:37 PM
Message Edited by ludiekman on 12-16-2008 03:41 PM
New Contributor

This is my list of why the Storm sucks: I'm a 45 yr old male and have owned many many smart phones and run a small business.  Had the Storm for over 3 weeks and I'm a very heavy user.  

1.  (THiS IS MY #1 GRIP AND REALLY A DEAL BREAKER)  I will not use an annoying holster since they get in the way.  So like every guy I know, I put my headset on and my phone my pocket when talking on my phone when I'm out and about.  Well with the storm you can't do this when you're in the phone mode, because the screen wont lock in the phone mode.  I'm juggling a book, a cup of coffee, so I put my phone in my pocket while i'm talking on the headset, so this way I can move around. Won't work.  You have to hold the Storm in your hand when on the headset since if you put it in your pocket it will hang up on the person, start calling other people, etc. since the screen wont lock in the phone mode.  If I have to hold this phone when on my headset when trying to get in and out of my car while carrying other things I'm going to end up dropping the dang thing!  Maybe Blackberry will make more money if people drop their phone? What the heck man?  

2. Every hard ware and software button has to be pressed on average three times in order to get it to respond.  What the heck is up with that. And yes I'm running the latest update as of the 10th of January.   

3. I try to answer a call on the screen and it keeps flipping from landscape to upright mode. What the heck, the main phone interface doesn't go in landscape, why the heck does the interface when someone calls me go into landscape?  Drives me nuts. I keep chasing the green button around the screen since it keeps changing back and forth from landscape when trying to answer my calls.  

4. There is no easy way to turn the speaker phone mode off and go back to the handset mode when i'm in the phone touch pad interface.   I've owned WinMo Pro phones, iphone etc etc.  None of them have had this problem, the have the option right there to switch back to the headset mode from speaker. What the heck???

5.  The video cam will recored in the higher res mode, non mms mode, but when I try to play the video on the phone it tells me the phone doesn't support the format.  What the heck????

6.  I've owned two iphones, how is it possible that i make less typos on the iphone than the storm?  The storm key board uses more real estate on the screen since it's landscape, but it is more prone to typos than the smaller iphone keyboard.  Come on Blackberry, what's up?    

7. The backlight for no reason goes bright, dim, bright, dim, when there is no change in lighting in the room at all.  Annoying but not a deal breaker.   

8. Don't even get my started on the browser.  Hello!  Back Button that is in the interface would be nice.  Just trying to do a google search I have to keep pressing the return button on the keyboard over and over for it to respond and process the search.  What the heck?  

8. Many many other annoying things, but the reception on this phone blows all the other phones I've had from Verizon away so I'm keeping it despite all these pathetic blunders.   The storm gets amazing reception!!! Love that, but hate so many things about this phone that it's a though call whether really to keep it.  

Elite I
My Device: STORM 9550 Verizon <><

and here i am wishing I had one instead of the curve! Smiley Happy

Smiley Happy Smiley Happy Nurse-Berry Smiley Happy Smiley Happy

Forgot one more problem.  45 yr old male, business owner and heavy user of many smart phones in the past including iphone, WinMo Pros, etc etc. 

9.  The Storm tells me when I get emails and texts, great. But I only want to know when I get a text since i get so much junk mail.  Well I go into the setting and select Silent for the email, but if I don't go into the setting for the Text sms mms and set that to silent, the thing will keep giving me audio alerts that i have received an email.  Nice, even in the middle of the night when I'm trying to sleep.  Went through this with Verizon tech support and they have no clue as to why the setting for this aren't functioning for the settings selected.  How many months has this phone been out and it still has problems like this?   Man come on!  

Contributor
My Device: Storm 9500

With regard to (9), if you holster the phone at night it won't beep at you. Mine wakes me up at 7.30am, comes to life, then I get tring-tring-trong as the night's emails come through. Most of them junk!

The Storm's only been out less than two months, and one major upgrade has sorted many problems. I believe there is another upgrade imminent.  It is not right that a product should be launched with so many glitches, but in fairness there are so many permutations of features, and so many different ways that a smartphone will be used, that it is probably impossible to visualise or predict all the combinations of usage. RIM is world-class company that won't want its reputation damaged by the Storm being slated for too long. Give them time and I'm sure that it will all come right. I'm told that the iPhone was full of bugs to start with.

For myself, I am very pleased with my Storm and am coming to love it. But it does pay to read the manual fully and browse the forums for tips and hints.

I'm a UK user, by the way, on Vodafone.

Forums Advisor I
My Device: Storm2 (9550)
My Carrier: Verizon

1.  (THiS IS MY #1 GRIP AND REALLY A DEAL BREAKER)  I will not use an annoying holster since they get in the way.  So like every guy I know, I put my headset on and my phone my pocket when talking on my phone when I'm out and about.  Well with the storm you can't do this when you're in the phone mode, because the screen wont lock in the phone mode.  I'm juggling a book, a cup of coffee, so I put my phone in my pocket while i'm talking on the headset, so this way I can move around. Won't work.  You have to hold the Storm in your hand when on the headset since if you put it in your pocket it will hang up on the person, start calling other people, etc. since the screen wont lock in the phone mode.  If I have to hold this phone when on my headset when trying to get in and out of my car while carrying other things I'm going to end up dropping the dang thing!  Maybe Blackberry will make more money if people drop their phone? What the heck man?  

Sounds like you need TalkLock.  

3. I try to answer a call on the screen and it keeps flipping from landscape to upright mode. What the heck, the main phone interface doesn't go in landscape, why the heck does the interface when someone calls me go into landscape?  Drives me nuts. I keep chasing the green button around the screen since it keeps changing back and forth from landscape when trying to answer my calls.  

Try answering using the Hard Green "Answer" button

New Contributor

The iPhone was out for over a year and a half when the Storm was released.  They had over a year to see what a real modern phone should be like.  The iphone screen will only activate when you touch it with you finger.  The Storm, anything will activate it and on top of that the bozos in the dev team didn't even think about guys putting their phone in their pocket when their on their headset while they carry things, work around the office etc.  The Storm wont lock down when your on a call.  When you put it in your pocket while on your headset it will hang-up, go on mute, call other people etc etc. For god sake people, I've had it with the incompetence and am taking mine back.  What a piece of retro 2001 style and screen technology!  AND NO!  I"M NOT ABOUT TO WEAR A HOLSTER.  
Contributor
My Device: 9530 Storm

Why didn't you just keep your iPhone? Thre's no way RIM will make the Storm into an iPhone clone so don't expect it to be

And also, get over the whole Holster bit, there's a solution to your "problem" use it.